Querying a publisher on a second book while they’re considering the first

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
If you have a requested full out with a publisher who is known to be incredibly slow at reviewing submissions, and you have a second book that would also interest them, would it make sense to query them on it now (as I’m itching to do) and possibly shave six months off the review process if the first book is rejected?

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Julie,

This is what I've learned -- take it as you will. It is better to wait for a response regarding your first submission prior to submitting your second. The reasoning is this: if your first is rejected, the publisher could very well address issues that are also in your second submission. If you've already submitted that second ms, then you have no ability to correct those issues.

J.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Good point, Victoria.

I've been tempted to do what Julie wants to do, so I'm glad you added the caution.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
jkorzenko said:
Julie,

This is what I've learned -- take it as you will. It is better to wait for a response regarding your first submission prior to submitting your second. The reasoning is this: if your first is rejected, the publisher could very well address issues that are also in your second submission. If you've already submitted that second ms, then you have no ability to correct those issues.

Good point. In fact, before I submitted the requested full, I fixed a structural problem noticed by another publisher who had considered and passed on the same book some months before. For the second book, I'm contemplating sending in a query and three chapters, which is all this present publisher will accept, and which take 9 months to surface in their slush pile.

Last edited:

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
You're also putting yourself in competition with yourself.

- Victoria

Even if the second book is very different from the first, even if the query and partial take 9 months to be considered?

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
Julie,
I would wait for the first response and continue to write something else. Polish your 2nd and work on something new while you wait for your response. Don't submit two manuscripts at once, even if they differ. Good luck! :)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Julie Worth said:
Even if the second book is very different from the first, even if the query and partial take 9 months to be considered?
Yup. It may seem awfully linear of them, but publisher do prefer to consider one manuscript at a time. If they buy Novel #1, you can then offer them Novel #2.

Also, given the timeframes involved in publishers' responses on unagented manuscripts, it would seem to make sense to spread your queries over as wide a range as possible.

- Victoria

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Huh, it’s not like everyone to agree, so I guess I’ll take that advice. It also occurs to me that I might not want them to know about the second book. What if they bought the first book and I used that to get an agent who wanted to sell the second book to another publisher for a lot more money? (A happy fantasy.)

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
LOL, Julie. I like your fantasy. But you're making the right decision.