PDA

View Full Version : rewriting my conclusion

karo.ambrose
11-26-2006, 05:17 AM
I'm basically posting this to take a break from my 3rd draft (yup, this is what a loner writer does on a Saturday night. Who's with me!!!) I'll probably get a beer here in a bit, but for now, I'll sit down with y'all.

So I have a new goal: finish my 3rd draft in two weeks, and the 4th and polished draft by xmas. But in between my 2nd and 3rd draft, I wrote my query and synopsis, which revealed to me that my plot was highly underdeveloped (I spent more time blabbing on and on about backstory and meaningless detail instead of developing the characters) and had a very abrupt, anticlimactic and kinda jarring/lame/really bad ending (and basically NO plot). So I am on the painstaking yet rewarding task of completely rewriting the last 10,000 words of my novel. It was a very painful decision, and I really, really wanted to just do small edits, but for the sake of an engrossing plot, I felt it must be done. Man, still thinking about it... all that work and I'm doing it all over again. I thought I was done.

So where's that beer at?

karo.ambrose
11-26-2006, 05:19 AM
Oh, and does anyone want to volunteer to keep me up on that promise (3rd draft in 2 weeks, 4th draft by xmas)? Having someone egging me on will definitely help.:D

jbal
11-26-2006, 05:25 AM
You better get it done, I know where you live!

Siddow
11-26-2006, 05:46 AM
Get on it!

I think your timeline is a little rushed, though. So I might not be the best for pushing you to finish by Christmas.

Or perhaps I'm a wee bit jealous of your available writing time!

But still, I'll come check on you...just don't expect me to berate you if you fall short of the goal.

karo.ambrose
11-26-2006, 05:52 AM
Siddow... yeah, I don't have a job, so I have all the time in the world (I do have an interview, however, on Wednesday, so that might hinder the process). It also helps that at this point, I don't have... what are they called... oh yeah, a life.

But I feel 10,000 words in two weeks isn't too bad, especially with my schedule. And after that, a polished draft. Hmmmm... maybe I'll have to do two drafts seeing that this will technically be the first draft of my conclusion, eh?