• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Real Writer's Block or Just Real Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:e2thud:I think I'm going through the worst case of writer's block I've ever had.

No. Make that the second worst case I've ever had. The first was brought on by a bad agent who wasted my time and killed my spirit. That took almost a year before I was able to recover and find another agent.

I found one. She wants to see the book proposal. And that's where I can't get back into the groove. I look at the old proposal and I think, "Damn, I just can't make myself believe anybody wants to read this crap."

Add to that that I recently became unemployed and we're living off my wife's income. She's working two jobs while I'm looking for one. It makes me wonder what kind of selfish jerk would waste time chasing a dream when he should be spending every waking moment trying to find another job.

On the other hand, I know I'm going to find another job. It's just a matter of time. I'm blocking on putting in the time to rewrite the book proposal, because it's such a time-consuming task. That, and I'm looking at the three dollars in my wallet, feel the rumbling in my empty stomach and wondering if I should hit the McDonald's dollar menu or not?

On top of it all we're in the silly season between Thanksgiving and Christmas and I'm thinking about how I'm going to put something under the tree for the wife and kids. Maybe if that part-time job I applied for this week comes through....

I'm not asking for anyone to throw me a pity party. I'm just wondering how you set your priorities at a time like this. Writing is a solitary and somewhat selfish occupation when times are good. When times aren't good it seems spending time on writing ramps the selfishness quota up by a factor of "10."

I doubt I'm the first guy to go through this. Maybe I'm just rationalizing and maybe I'm just really depressed and trying to ignore it. All I know for sure is the writing isn't getting done.

I think I'm really beginning to lose it. Both the joy of facing another day and the the passion that comes with creativity.

:e2bummed:

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Ahh, i wouldnt worry about it...it comes when it comes. No point in rushing it. Everything at its own momentum. Sometimes if the words, dont come its because you dont want them to come. Words arent everything even if your a writer. :) Creativity is present even without writing :)

Last edited:

stelladel

Hey nighttimer, it has been over four months since you posted that. I am a newbie, so give me an update on what's happening.

Me, I live in Moscow, gave up my $60K a year job for the love of a woman, who will be my wife in May. Not some young Russian bride, blah, blah. She's fifty I'm 47. All my savings are gone, have about $200 to my name, will probably have to return to the UK in July (because that is the date of my plane ticket) and can't afford the journey back to Moscow and will probably take a year to get things back on track. Came here with a dream that I could write a book and got my hopes destroyed by those scammers, in my case the New York Literary Agency, fortunately never gave them any money, so for me too life has been - well shite.

But you know what nighttimer, never give up, never allow yourself to be beaten, I understand you don't want to write, neither do I, F@#K it mate, life is to short because if you don't do it (regardless of your finances, I can't even afford the wedding rings) you'll regret it. Somewhere in you you have the strength to see it through, maybe you won't get published, but try and if it doesn't work out then print your stuff out and keep it for your kids.

No one ever said it would be easy, you had an ambition follow it through, it is worse when you don't...

I can't promise you inspiration, I'm looking for it myself at this moment in time, but I have already got ideas for a second and third book so as I have said before - never give up, yeah we all need money to live but just keep the other stuff on the back burner until one day you can ignite it again.

;)

Take care

Backward Masking

Why so serious?
Registered
Reaction score
Nighttimer, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the writer's block. That will sort itself out when the time comes. Right now, focus on what truly matters in your life. That's my buck and a quarter. Cheers.

And yeah, this is very outdated as I've quickly discovered.

LucindaLynx

Registered
Reaction score
I must say I agree

Ahh, i wouldnt worry about it...it comes when it comes. No point in rushing it. Everything at its own momentum. Words arent everything even if your a writer. :) Creativity is present even without writing :)

Hi Truelyana!
You are so right! For example I knit and needlepoint if the words won't be there for me. Gisela knows when it's time to knit or needlepoint or write. And when it's time to write, she'll let me know. I never miss her signal.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Blocks happen for any number of reasons, ill-health, worry over a family memeber's ill-health, depression. I did nada for 8 months that way, maybe a line or two of ideas but my energy went to personal issues. I knew the words would be there for me when I came back, and they were.

Don't beat yourself up for losing the spark.

You can do simple things: reward yourself: I'll spend an hour editing, then 10 min in AW. I'll spend 2 hours editing and watch Heros. I'll spend 3 hours editing, walk the dog to that cafe and split my biscotti with him.

patrick bateman

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds more like real life than legitimate writers block. I've been similarly jerked around by a bad agent. Two of them in fact. So between having a bad agent jerking you around and financial problems, it's no surprise that you can't get into the groove. Whatever you do, don't force yourself to write because it'll become a chore rather than a pleasure. You may have to stop writing for a month or a few months. But you will get back into it. And you'll love it more than ever.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
What if you got a *part* time job? If there is some part of you that feels bad about not being a providor, might that part be trying to stop you from writing? perhaps if you were doing something to help out, your writer part might feel more at ease.

Reaction score
Abe Lincoln

"what kind of selfish jerk would waste time chasing a dream"

Now I can't swear to the voracity of this, but here goes anyway. I understand that Abe Lincoln is one of the most respected and successful presidents the US ever had.
I also heard that he successfully failed for 29 years to gain public office, county, mayoral, state and national until eventually he was successful at becoming the president.
So, if he can be great at failing for 29 years, what does he show us apart from massive determination to refuse to accept defeat for any reason.
Is that enuff?

Am I correct, perhaps you local yocals have some better knowledge of your greatest presidents.

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:e2thud:I think I'm going through the worst case of writer's block I've ever had.

No. Make that the second worst case I've ever had. The first was brought on by a bad agent who wasted my time and killed my spirit. That took almost a year before I was able to recover and find another agent.

I found one. She wants to see the book proposal. And that's where I can't get back into the groove. I look at the old proposal and I think, "Damn, I just can't make myself believe anybody wants to read this crap."

Add to that that I recently became unemployed and we're living off my wife's income. She's working two jobs while I'm looking for one. It makes me wonder what kind of selfish jerk would waste time chasing a dream when he should be spending every waking moment trying to find another job.

On the other hand, I know I'm going to find another job. It's just a matter of time. I'm blocking on putting in the time to rewrite the book proposal, because it's such a time-consuming task. That, and I'm looking at the three dollars in my wallet, feel the rumbling in my empty stomach and wondering if I should hit the McDonald's dollar menu or not?

On top of it all we're in the silly season between Thanksgiving and Christmas and I'm thinking about how I'm going to put something under the tree for the wife and kids. Maybe if that part-time job I applied for this week comes through....

I'm not asking for anyone to throw me a pity party. I'm just wondering how you set your priorities at a time like this. Writing is a solitary and somewhat selfish occupation when times are good. When times aren't good it seems spending time on writing ramps the selfishness quota up by a factor of "10."

I doubt I'm the first guy to go through this. Maybe I'm just rationalizing and maybe I'm just really depressed and trying to ignore it. All I know for sure is the writing isn't getting done.

I think I'm really beginning to lose it. Both the joy of facing another day and the the passion that comes with creativity.

:e2bummed:

Holy Crap. Who breathed life back into this dead topic?

Well, for those who are curious...

About a month after that post chock full of sweetness and light, I did find a job. I work at a hospital's computer operations center and I've started my third year here. I make a nice salary that pays all my bills and allows me to afford a few luxuries.

I just bought a Chrysler Sebring. Yesterday Chrysler filed for bankruptcy. Nice bit of timing there, but what'cha gonna do?

My wife was able to quit her parttime jobs. Our son is in his freshman year of college and my daughter started high school. Neither of them want for anything.

Life is as good as its ever been financially. Every morning I feel blessed to have another chance at getting right today when I got wrong yesterday.

As for the writing?

I blog a bit. I write a bit. I freelance a bit. I'm looking to focus on the freelancing in 2009, but it's been frustrating. A lot of markets have dried up, cut back or aren't open to submissions at this time.

As for the book, I've pretty much 86'ed it. I don't believe I have the patience to write it and sell it. That's another year or so of life I don't want to waste on collecting rejection letters from agents. That's a dream I don't really feel like chasing any more.

But still...you never know...

I look back at what I wrote in 2006 and I shake my head. I haven't been that low for quite some time and if I never am again it suits me fine.

Thanks for asking. :Thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.