Experience in the Business?

• Thread starter First Blood Part II
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

First Blood Part II

Hey, I just found this place yesterday and I don't know everyone here. I was just wondering if this is like a screenwriting forum for fanboys or if some of you all are actually published, accomplished screenwriters?

Personally, I'm a film student in KY (if ya can believe that oxymoron). I go to Asbury College and I'm currently taking a Screenwriting class and am working on a script that's due at the end of the semester, which is the whole point of the class. I've just had the class for about three weeks now, but it's already changed how I see the world. The world's nothing more than just a bunch of movie ideas thrown together into one big anthology that you see all at once. I'm finding that I've got a knack for writing. Of course, I had a Creative Writing teacher in high school tell me I was really great at dialogue, so that's pretty good. But that was back before I was really intent on going into film. Back then, I thought that since I converted to Christianity, the Lord would want me to become a pastor of a church, not a filmmaker. Then along the way, I realized I could be a filmmaker and that's actually what God wanted for me all throughout my life. Filmmaking's always been on my mind, even before I knew I wanted to do that or before I was even called by God to be one or even be a Christian. I'd say the inner workings of it were there when I was at least 2. I grew up watching Star Wars nonstop and my parents bought me everything SW from toys to soundtracks to sketchbooks of the starship and alien designs. Then when I saw the Indiana Jones movies for the first time in 8th grade, that's when I started thinking about making movies. Sophomore year of high school is when I became a Christian and put my dreams of filmmaking to death, since it seemed too worldly. Then I guess my freshman year of college was when I started back on the filmmaking track and that's where I've been since.

I've made about two movies (only one of them was scripted). The first was just a weird spoof that me and my friends did of a really stupid video we saw on America's Funniest Home Videos. We just went out in the hall of our dorm and shot a bunch of footage and I tried sorting through it to make something of it. I showed it at a talent show on Valentine's Day and it was pretty embarrassing. The second movie I showed last November for another talent show, and this was an Indiana Jones spoof. I was really, really pleased with the way that turned out. I was proud to show it. I'm not sure what I'll do next. Whatever I do, I want to really put a lot of effort into it and make it one of the best student films ever. I know if I just concentrated on that and did it, I could pull it off.

I'm still an amateur, I suppose. I'm just starting to learn how to get a little better at being an amateur these days, I guess.

(If anyone's interested in seeing my movie, let me know and I may post the URL).

writerscut

I can't really tell you who is who or what offhand...but it's a pretty ecclectic mix of both...there are many accomplished writers on these boards...but I think the screenwriting boards are more of people trying to break into "the biz." Good luck to you with you screenwriting...

scripter1

The vast majority of us are wanna-be's like yourself with a huge variety of experience and talent. But we've read quite a few books and bunches of scripts and hang out on the message boards soaking up info, so, we have some idea what we're talking about.
Some people here are experienced, sold writers or work in the industry in one capacity or another.
Most of us try our best to give solid, helpful advice that can be backed up either by articles and books or at the least message board consensus.
There are a some whose advice is off base even though they mean well.
And there are few pranksters.

Spend a few days reading through the posts. You'll learn quite a bit and you'll get a feel for who's who.

Welcome to the boards!!

Status
Not open for further replies.