Need advice... please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

torrentwaters

Registered
Reaction score
Okay heres a little background on my problem. I've received an email about four or five months ago from a publisher saying they were going to review my short story. Last month I wrote a follow up letter asking for an update on its status. Didn't hear back. Now the first time the editor had some issues getting me an email so I switch to a different address and sent another letter after several weeks. Thinking this may have been the problem it's been several more weeks still no reply. At this point I don't even know if she's receiving my emails. What should I do this publisher has had my story for almost a year and a half? Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
A year and a half? With a short story???

They can't be the only place suitable for this story. Personally, I would send yourself an email (just to make sure your email is working properly). If it is, send a polite letter withdrawing the submission, and start subbing elsewhere.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
And if you think your e-mails aren't getting through, send your withdrawel as a snail mail letter. Surely they have an address listed?

A year and a half is VERY excessive.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Is it possible their replies are going into your junk folder?

torrentwaters

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I know my emails are working correctly because I can get them from myself and other people are getting them from me. Carmy I wish it was that simple, but no I checked that too. My worry leans more towards my emails ending up in her spam folder. You're probably right I should just send a withdrawl letter snail mail, and be done with it. Thanks again.

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
Hi, sometimes you never know why certain systems flag certain users as spam. So it is very possible your mails are ending up in their spam folder.

The thing is, a year and half is way to long wait on a short story.

After that much time, I don't think you even need to drop them with a letter, just submit to other people.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Look at the bright side--perhaps they published your piece and think you're hinting around for payment.

scottVee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scott.virtes.com
All good advice. Snail mail withdrawal, and get on with life. Even 3 months is too long for a short story, unless it's one of the top markets, who can have a little leeway. I worry about little markets that take email submissions and can't answer them quickly. Or anyone, in any business, whose emails are mostly excuses about why they couldn't email me sooner.

torrentwaters

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everybody. I'll mull it over and figure out my next step with this publisher. But I will let you know one thing I'm never working with them agian. Oh and if anyone is curious the pub is Black Velvet Seductions.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I would say let it go. It's hard advice, but it's time to face the fact that they are not accepting it. Sometimes they do this...they will send you an email saying it's being considered, but they won't send you one to inform you it's been rejected. They are probably just not answering your emails.

Start submitting elsewhere and let this one go.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Scarlett_156 said:
That's ****ed up that they would blow you off like that. That's what I would do to them if it was me: Blow them off, that is.

Writers get the blow off all the time. Just develop a thick skin and learn to accept that this is a common practice.

torrentwaters

Registered
Reaction score
This may sound a bit naive. But why would they do that? Just blow you off, I mean how long does it take to write a two lined letter saying your rejected. Heck I'd even take an email, saying nothing else but the title and rejected, just so I'm not left holding the bag. Okay so to a new pub it goes. Thanks again guys, you've been super helpful.

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
torrentwaters said:
I mean how long does it take to write a two lined letter saying your rejected.
That minute or two adds up if they do it for every rejection. What I have seen in submission guidelines is a time limit that states how long you can expect the pub to review your submission. If they don't send rejections, they state something like, "If we haven't responded to your query within three months, you can assume that it has been rejected." (Very loose with the terminology, but it is early. :))

ETE/A: I would think about withdrawing it (via the postal service if they allow that) in case any of the new pubs you submit to have simultaneous submission policies. Hopefully someone more experienced than I am will let you know if this is needed.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.