PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Wishes - TIO/CE Style (with carrots)

Bartholomew
11-23-2006, 07:05 AM
Exactly. It's Thanksgiving for god's sake.

Thank you.

Sadly, I don't think anyone is going to take a turkey-day break from railing at eachother. :|

But, for the record, I was not being sarcastic.

billythrilly7th
11-23-2006, 07:24 AM
Sadly, I don't think anyone is going to take a turkey-day break from railing at eachother. :|

But, for the record, I was not being sarcastic.

Personally, I think Mac should shut down TIO/CURRENT EVENTS for major holidays like Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years.

Lock it up, Mac!!
:D

robeiae
11-23-2006, 08:04 AM
Personally, I think Mac should shut down TIO/CURRENT EVENTS for major holidays like Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years.

Lock it up, Mac!!Oh sure, only suggest a Christian holiday--you thoughtless hump.

Happy Turkey-Day, Billy.

Bartholomew
11-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Oh sure, only suggest a Christian holiday--you thoughtless hump.

Happy Turkey-Day, Billy.

Is it a Christian holiday?

I thought it was a U.S. holiday. I know we don't celebrate it back home, in any case.

Birol
11-23-2006, 07:35 PM
I believe he was referring to Christmas, not Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving.

WackAMole
11-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Green Helmet says:

Happy Thanksgiving.

SC Harrison
11-23-2006, 08:06 PM
Is it a Christian holiday?

I thought it was a U.S. holiday. I know we don't celebrate it back home, in any case.

If you consider the people who attended the first Thanksgiving supper, it should be classified as a Christian/Pagan holiday.

And it still is, at least in my family. There will be a few athiests mumbling the Lord's Prayer along with the righteous; a small price to pay for such tasty grub. I just hope the thoughts won't mirror the first gathering:

"I'm going to steal your land and call it my own."

"I'm going to sneak into your camp and slit your throat."

Okay, that was a little dark. I'm somewhat peeved because I have to put together a veggie/snack tray, and provide the dinner rolls (which better not be overdone), and slice the turkey (I used to consider it an honor, and then I grew up).

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sheryl Nantus
11-23-2006, 08:09 PM
we Canadians did it last month.

you know, when you could really call it a harvest festival.

:D

robeiae
11-23-2006, 08:25 PM
we Canadians did it last month.

you know, when you could really call it a harvest festival.
Tim Hortons are in season year 'round...:tongue

Birol
11-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Okay, that was a little dark. I'm somewhat peeved because I have to put together a veggie/snack tray, and provide the dinner rolls (which better not be overdone), and slice the turkey (I used to consider it an honor, and then I grew up).

Happy Thanksgiving!

Someone, somewhere, got up in the pre-dawn hours to cook that turkey, and make the stuffing, and the assorted casseroles and side dishes. I'd be real careful about grumbling about having to bring nibbles, bread, and *gasp* slice the turkey.

men

ETA: If we're not careful with this Thanksgiving talk, I'll need to split this thread.

robeiae
11-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Will this (http://people.redhat.com/sopwith/images/sadday.jpg) help?

SC Harrison
11-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Someone, somewhere, got up in the pre-dawn hours to cook that turkey, and make the stuffing, and the assorted casseroles and side dishes. I'd be real careful about grumbling about having to bring nibbles, bread, and *gasp* slice the turkey.

men

ETA: If we're not careful with this Thanksgiving talk, I'll need to split this thread.

I know, I know. But still.

Also, I had to buy an extremely large bag of those little miniature carrots, because a veggie tray must have them or the whole set-up seems flawed and color-imbalanced, but I know only a few of them will be eaten, and since we don't have any miniature carrot-lovers in my family, I won't be able to give the surplus away, so I'm stuck with these little things unless I can lure a pack of tiny rabbits into my yard, but, if I do, then they'll be hanging around for days wanting more miniature carrots, and I'm not going to buy any more (until next year), so then I'll have to avoid my back yard until they get bored and run off, but I really need to get out there and do some raking...it's a conundrum.

Birol
11-23-2006, 09:07 PM
You freeze them and slice them for stir-fry later or shred them to use on salads and homemade coleslaw.

As for the lawn: It will snow soon. Leave it for Spring, or buy a mulching mower.

Unique
11-23-2006, 09:19 PM
you could always bring 'em to my house.
we love carrots.

robeiae
11-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Now you have to split the thread, Lori. And you did it to yourself.

SC Harrison
11-23-2006, 09:34 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h34/scharrison/rabbit.jpg

"Dear Lori, I'm a big fan and have enjoyed your column for years, but your recent advice to the man with all the extra carrots seemed a little short-sighted to me. Aside from the inherent problems in freezing vegetables, I think you're assuming that wild rabbits need no charity, and enjoy a boundless supply of nourishing food. While this may be true for those lucky enough to live near a farm, many suburban rabbits struggle to survive on a daily basis, and could use all the help they can get.

Sincerely, Fluffy."

Birol
11-23-2006, 09:47 PM
:ROFL:

Birol
11-23-2006, 09:52 PM
Now you have to split the thread, Lori. And you did it to yourself.

I never denied being a contributing factor to the potential-split thread problem.

Bartholomew
11-23-2006, 10:02 PM
It looks like I started the thread. o.o It freaked me out. I saw a thread that said I started it--but I knew I hadn't! CONSPIRACY!

...I already hired the private investigator and everything.

Bartholomew
11-23-2006, 10:04 PM
I believe he was referring to Christmas, not Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Christmas... yeah, still not an exclusively christian holiday.

The pagans had it first. :tongue

Sean D. Schaffer
11-24-2006, 11:57 PM
Christmas... yeah, still not an exclusively christian holiday.

The pagans had it first. :tongue

Somewhere, I read that Christmas was originally an ancient pagan Roman holiday. From what I vaguely remember of what I read--Actually, I think it was a History Channel special, if I remember correctly, so I saw it instead of reading it--it was incorporated as Christ's Birthday by Constantine's wife. I don't remember all the details but I thought it was an interesting tidbit.

In any case, I did take the holiday off from posting, and I feel somewhat refreshed now that I've had my day off.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day.

Unique
11-25-2006, 12:06 AM
and I am still carrotless.
hmph

TheGaffer
11-25-2006, 03:09 AM
Brining the turkey is key. Did that this year. GREAT SUCCESS!

Birol
11-25-2006, 07:02 AM
I thought it was a typo at first, too, but then I reread it. I think he did mean 'brining'. I've heard of people doing that to their turkey-birds.

Unique
11-25-2006, 07:07 AM
I still don't have any carrots.

robeiae
11-25-2006, 07:29 AM
I guess I could brine my turkey by dragging it through the surf for a while. Would that work?

Birol
11-25-2006, 07:38 AM
I think we should all mail Unique some carrots.

Sean D. Schaffer
11-25-2006, 08:02 AM
I think we should all mail Unique some carrots.

Maybe you should e-mail them. Be quicker that way.

Sean D. Schaffer
11-25-2006, 08:05 AM
What are you talking about, Ian? Christmas was almost a year ago, You must have been really refreshed to remember it so vividly. If it was Thanksgiving you were referring to - as in THANKSGIVING and the Mayflower and the Pilgrims, etc: oh.

Ummm, Okay. I was referring to Thanksgiving when I referred to being refreshed after the Holiday.

At least, I think I was...

oswann
11-25-2006, 09:07 AM
I guess I could brine my turkey by dragging it through the surf for a while. Would that work?

Australian thanksgiving. Works like a charm.

Os.