Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I've come to expect mean baseness from people.

I expect them to be petty, to monger, to gossip, to lie and to only care about themselves.

Is this wrong? I mean--it certainly appears to be true.

But not too long ago I believed in the common milk of kindness--that all people were, deep down, inherently good.

In the last few months, I've been wrestled and pinned to a stone floor, beaten, spit upon, harassed, called names, thrown from moving vehicles, threatened with guns, stopped and searched, been accused of racism, been accused of adultery, insulted because of the instruments I play, insulted for the music I play, and a number of other, progressively pettier things.

That's real life.

I don't even expect people to greet me anymore. I look them in the eyes, and it seems like they hate me before I ever open my mouth.

But then I come here, and my world fills with real human beings again.

I love this place. It makes me feel less alone, and I wish it were home.

Goodnight.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Life's a b!tch. It will always be a b!tch. That's the law of nature.

However, there's another law of nature. All things must have a balance. There's dark and light both in life and in people. It seems like you've just had your fair share of dark recently. That's good, it means things will brighten up. Just deal with the crap for a little longer, trust the Andi.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
TsukiRyoko said:
Life's a b!tch. It will always be a b!tch. That's the law of nature.

However, there's another law of nature. All things must have a balance. There's dark and light both in life and in people. It seems like you've just had your fair share of dark recently. That's good, it means things will brighten up. Just deal with the crap for a little longer, trust the Andi.

Thanks, Santa. :LilLove:

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Bartholomew said:
Thanks, Santa. :LilLove:
Santa? I don't have to wear this again, do I?
58557.jpg

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
TsukiRyoko said:
*sigh* I'll go get it.... You better rub my back for this one.

Woo!

Hey, actually, I'm rather reknowned for the quality of my backrubs. :p

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
Man, can I totally relate to your post. Sometimes people seem so darn hateful that it just makes you feel like you never want to leave the house. I dont think it helps that the media is constantly bombarding us with negative news. I quit reading it for the most part because of this.

I had more trouble with this when I was depressed after my divorce, but as time has gone by, things do seem a bit brighter.

Sometimes I so wish there was a news channel that did nothing but report all of the good things that people did. How cool would that be? UNfortunately, goodness doesnt get ratings like trash does *bleh*

When im really desperate to see something good in action, I just sit back a while and watch my two kids :) Even when they are bad, they are good heh..oh and youre right..there are some pretty darn good people here too

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
WackAMole said:
Sometimes I so wish there was a news channel that did nothing but report all of the good things that people did. How cool would that be?

That is SUCH a good idea.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
TsukiRyoko said:
Oh pu-leaseeeeee. My back rubs are far more superior. I guarantee it. Even when I'm NOT in the Santa suit.

Your back-rubs may be superior, but you can't reach your own back.

Unless you're some sort of alien.

You freak. :tongue

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Bartholomew said:
Your back-rubs may be superior, but you can't reach your own back.

Unless you're some sort of alien.

You freak. :tongue
I know, that's the trouble. :( I'm sitting on a pile of diamonds, and I have no way to use them.

...Oooh, you hit the spot. No, a little up. More to the left. Just a li- ohhhh that feels good.....

oswann

Grumpy
Registered
Reaction score
In some smarty pants place like everyone else writ
My wife said something to me this morning which I said I should write down. She is not a writer or, according to her, a thinker but sometimes she comes out with stuff which astounds me.

She said - "Il ne faut pas être trop rationnel, autrement on tombe dans la folie."

Okay she's French but it means - you shouldn't be too rational otherwise you go crazy.

I think she's right. A little irrationality from time time keeps us sane.

Os.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
she's right, os.

look what happened to haskins.
tsk. and so young, too.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bmwhtly said:
Young? I though Haskins was older than God?

no, that's me. he's definitely my junior in age -

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's possible, too, Bartholomew, that you happen to be in a place where people are both intolerant and quick to judge and condemn. Maybe a change of home base is something you should be considering, a place where all kinds of music find a venue.

Maryn, who loves her venue

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Just when I had about given up on the human race, April 19, 1995, rolled around. After the OKC bombing, the people of the world descended upon us to help. Folks stood in line for hours to donate blood. People - civiliands - volunteered to crawl through the rubble of the Murrah Building - knowing what they'd find and how dangerous it was. And they had to be literally ordered from the site because they were so exhausted, they could no longer crawl. I saw men and search/rescue dogs asleep, leaning against a building, trying to save the time it would take to leave and go to bed. If someone being interviewed even hinted that something was needed... lines of cars and trucks would show up within the hour to provide it.

There is more good than evil... unfortunately, it sometimes takes evil to bring it out... but it's there.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OFG, it's regrettable that it takes tragedy to make us act, but something like that often brings out the best in us all. In my town and the nearby city:

Nursery school moms (all white) helped sweep up glass and rearrange stock in black-owned businesses trashed in race rioting. They also donated toys and books to an area settlement house.

People who knew one another only in an online chat got together in the Astrodome parking lot and cooked barbecue (complete with side dishes, paper plates, soft drinks, supervised play for the kids, and as many tables and chairs as fit in their cars or trucks) for 50-60 every night for several weeks following Hurricane Katrina. Their families had to come with them if they wanted to eat.

Teenagers and young adults from the Jewish Community Center and the YMCA 'loitered' inside and in parking areas at the local Islamic center and several area businesses with Middle Eastern owners following 9-11, all but eliminating the risk of retaliatory gestures aimed at the innocent who shared the terrorists' faith and/or ethnicity.

People are cool, yes?

Maryn, uncool

Last edited:

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
If we can be this good on a local scale, why can't we do it on a larger one? Is it because politicians are involved?

Yes. People are cool. Mostly.

Jen, who thinks Maryn's being too hard on herself. :D

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Ol' Fashioned Girl said:
If we can be this good on a local scale, why can't we do it on a larger one? Is it because politicians are involved?

Bingo. Politicans have completely different agendas to us regular folks. We desire peace and happiness, they desire power. It's cliche, but power eventually corrupts.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
career politicians are the worst.

bottom line is some people suck, some don't. sometimes it seems lop-sided. i wouldn't recommend a tree-hugging vegan don a suit and infiltrate a meeting of oil and auto CEOs in vegas and expect to walk away a happy person. i've been in situations where i was surrounded by different personalities and philosophies and i just wanted to wretch.

that wifely quote reminds me of a line in a jimmy buffet song, 'if we weren't all a little crazy we'd go insane,' or something like that. i always liked that... then again, that fits in with my philosophy that everyone should have at least one good personal vice, lol.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Bartholomew said:
In the last few months, I've been wrestled and pinned to a stone floor, beaten, spit upon, harassed, called names, thrown from moving vehicles, threatened with guns, stopped and searched, been accused of racism, been accused of adultery, insulted because of the instruments I play, insulted for the music I play, and a number of other, progressively pettier things.
I am shocked. :Jaw:I can’t believe ANYONE would do this to another human being. Bart, you ever just need to talk you are welcome to PM many here. Chin up young one.

smf222

Registered
Reaction score
Bartholomew - everything you said in your first post sounds EXACTLY like the same **** my boyfriend bitches about on a weekly basis. You're not alone. It's as though everyone is enveloped in their own little world of importance that human kindness has become completely foreign. Gone are the days of someone saying (God forbid) "THANK YOU" when you hold the door open for them; or "EXCUSE ME" as they not so gently push you out of their way. People have just stopped taking other people's feelings into consideration, and that sucks. Of course, not all people are rude and mean-spirited, but it seems like it is (unfortunately) becoming more of the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.