It's called Karma honey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MizzACEE

VERY Proud AUNTIE to be!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Ok I had to share this funny little story...

Yesterday my son was playing the kids game "Dont break the ice" (dont know how many of you have heard of this game...) it has these little, plastic "ice cubes" squares... well he started throwing these "cubes" around the room and I said "Richie stop it and pick those up!" well he proceeds to toss them around, laughing gleefully... again "Richie Pick Those Up...Stop it!" well as I go after this child he gets up and starts to run away from me...as he hauls buns through the room he steps on one of these cubes and falls to the floor with an hysterical scream! "OWWWW MY FOOT!!!!" I stand over him (like the good mother I am lol) and say "THAT, Honey, is what we call Karma... you didnt stop and pick them up when I told you to, so you stepped on one - you get it?" and I walk away.

LOL, ok it sounds mean, but, I'm sure Teri will relate lol NO sympathy for a child who doesnt listen and causes his own punishment lol

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This kind of lesson is what good parenting is about. He had to face the consequences of his own actions (throwing the cubes) and willful disobedience (refusing to pick them up), got a little hurt, and will remember it.

Maryn, who still vividly remembers stepping on a pin she'd been told to pick up (She was five and wasn't the one who dropped it.)

MizzACEE

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn said:
This kind of lesson is what good parenting is about. He had to face the consequences of his own actions (throwing the cubes) and willful disobedience (refusing to pick them up), got a little hurt, and will remember it.

Maryn, who still vividly remembers stepping on a pin she'd been told to pick up (She was five and wasn't the one who dropped it.)

Well thank you, now I dont feel like the evil mother lol

About your pin incident... thats sad, I'm sorry (I know that hurts!) I try to teach the kids that even though they didnt "make the mess" or "drop that on the floor" That its considerate to "help out" by picking it up anyway if asked nicely.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OH man, I don't have kids yet, but I did teach preschool. I did that. One time I told a child repeatedly to walk in the classroom. Sure enough he fell. He was crying and I wanted to comfort him, but I stood over him and said, "this is why I told you to walk."

I had another kid who I had told to walk several times. HIs running resulted in knocking over the art cart. Lots of markers, paint brushes, scissors, stamps, all that stuff. I'd had trouble with him before. So I let all the other kids go outside to play with the other teacher while I sat at the art table and made him clean it all up. Man was that painful. After every little item he picked up he'd stop and wine and say, "I don't want to clean up by myself." And I'd say, "then listen to the teachers next time," or, "That's why we walk in the classroom." etc. Everytime. Every little crayon. I could have cleaned it up in 10 minutes, but then how would he learn?

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! That's not mean at all.

Every time one of our children runs into a wall or stubbs a toe my husband I high five each other with a "yes!".

True story.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not mean at all. We call my youngest one "Danger Boy" and he's the reason I'm on a first name basis with the volunteer fire department in my town. (They drive the ambulances.)

Life has been one big: "I told you so" for him. Maybe he'll listen some day.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
My fourth daughter, Death Wish Wynter, has the uncanny knack of doing exactly what we tell her not to do and ending up hurt a minute later. "Wynnie, don't chase your sister with the ball, you'll run into the table!" BAM "Wynnie, you owe me a new table."

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Good. Now I don't feel like such a bad parent. I have a hard time mustering up sympathy when my 6-year-old hurts himself because he's such a hyperactive little nut.

My general response is, "If you weren't doing that, you wouldn't have gotten hurt!"

Although if it's something serious, like falling down the stairs, I comfort him, THEN yell at him. "How many times do I have to tell you not to goof off on the stairs?"

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
I tried out a Hamster once with my kids. I got the little dwarf kind. Well, this hamster was just plain mean! I would put my hand in the cage to feed it and it attacked me every time to the point where I was afraid of it LOL

So I tell my adorable little daughter, who is teasing at the cage with her finger because she wants to pet the cute little hamster, not to do that because the hamster is the devil. She stuck her finger in and that little rat *&^#%$& bit her sure enough. Latched onto her finger like a calf to a cow!

She had this shocked little look on her face and I had to laugh, but at the same time I explained to her why moms tell kids not to do stuff!

I exchanged the hamster for a nicer one that we have had now for two years. Even now, my little one doesnt poke her finger through the cage bars LOL

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Shadow_Ferret said:
I just shudder when I read things like this. I can barely keep my sanity with just two.

ROFL! Whoops, that should read "third" daughter. Daughters four and five aren't quite as bad... yet.

dobiwon

Planning to retire for the 5th time
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
magind7.wixsite.com
I love these stories. It's even better when your children have their own kids. Then when their kids pull the same stunts and they react like you used to with them, you can pick up the little one, cuddle her, and say "There, there, Papa still loves you." ;)

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
dobiwon said:
I love these stories. It's even better when your children have their own kids. Then when their kids pull the same stunts and they react like you used to with them, you can pick up the little one, cuddle her, and say "There, there, Papa still loves you." ;)

I'm waiting for my kids to have kids. I have them all excited about bringing me home some grandchildren. he he he

I put the mother's curse on them.

TeddyG

The Other Shoe Will Fall!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginisrael.com
Mizz should be arrested, tarred and feathered :D

Thank You For Listening To Me

(And Terri .. thinking of you with Grandkids..makes me shiver!)

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
Now, if we could only get the schools to use this method on misbehaving students instead of coddling them and calling them special.
MizzACEE said:
Ok I had to share this funny little story...

Yesterday my son was playing the kids game "Dont break the ice" (dont know how many of you have heard of this game...) it has these little, plastic "ice cubes" squares... well he started throwing these "cubes" around the room and I said "Richie stop it and pick those up!" well he proceeds to toss them around, laughing gleefully... again "Richie Pick Those Up...Stop it!" well as I go after this child he gets up and starts to run away from me...as he hauls buns through the room he steps on one of these cubes and falls to the floor with an hysterical scream! "OWWWW MY FOOT!!!!" I stand over him (like the good mother I am lol) and say "THAT, Honey, is what we call Karma... you didnt stop and pick them up when I told you to, so you stepped on one - you get it?" and I walk away.

LOL, ok it sounds mean, but, I'm sure Teri will relate lol NO sympathy for a child who doesnt listen and causes his own punishment lol

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
LOL. I have to remember that line. Karma indeed. :D My son has luck and balance going for him, otherwise I would also be on a first name basis with the local fire department.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
janetbellinger said:
Now, if we could only get the schools to use this method on misbehaving students instead of coddling them and calling them special.

I can't say for other teachers, but I do. I tell the kids to do something, they don't. Inevitably they get hurt. I do tell them, "I told you so." Accidents happen, but when I try and prevent them, I have very little sympathy for those who don't listen.

MizzACEE

Registered
Reaction score
TeddyG said:
Mizz should be arrested, tarred and feathered :D

Thank You For Listening To Me

(And Terri .. thinking of you with Grandkids..makes me shiver!)

LOL dont make me Karma you too!

askeladd

Polyglot
Registered
Reaction score
I am always telling my 4yo (almost 5 ;)) kid, "I told you, 'If you goof around, you're gonna get hurt' - so don't goof around, and you won't get hurt." Maybe one of these days it'll sink in.

Status
Not open for further replies.