Guilty Holiday Pleasures

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
Eggnog. Or, even better, eggnog with a little rum. mmmm

What's yours? Any end of the year holiday will work. :)

And I don't want to hear about spending time with, or without, the family. That's a given.

MizzACEE

VERY Proud AUNTIE to be!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Pumpkin Pie and Holiday Cookies. lol

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
Hot buttered rum WOOT!

That and those damn cookies with all that yummy frosting on top

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
My mother's BEST almond cookies!!! She got the recipe from my grandmother, so it's become a family tradition. :D

mMMMmmmMMmmm, I'm craving some right now! :D

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
climbing a tree naked and raving like a lunatic about obscure philosophical subjects...

but it's just not a holiday without it.

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
William Haskins said:
climbing a tree naked and raving like a lunatic about obscure philosophical subjects...

Sounds good to me. One time, years ago, a friend and I made corn dollies and danced naked around her new apricot tree while our husbands stood by grinning, weaving, and drinking their beer. Magic moments...

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
um...I was gonna say egg nog too, but I'll have some of what Haskins and JD are drinking.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Butter cookies. those imported ones that come in a round tin. I could eat the entire tin in one sitting.
Almond Rocha.
Irish Cream, Kahlua and a splash of milk on ice.
All terribly fattening and completely irresistable.

Reaction score
P.H.Delarran said:
Butter cookies.

My mom makes these for Christmas day and I devour them by the handful.

They're a Thrilly Family tradition. Along with touch football and the quail hunt.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
A couple of things.

My Nana's (grandmother) scones and lemon curd- made the right way and most definitely not store bought. The woman is 87 years old, and she still makes it every year because I love it.

Also, freshly baked ham slices with heated cherry pie filling on top. It is the ultimate sweet and salty experience.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:

Just don't forget the tinsel. It's just another fun day in the woods, without the tinsel.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Fruit cake.

Yes I know. I've heard it all before, but trust me MY fruit cake is sublime and since we are friends here, I will let you in on a little known fact - the sawdust blocks with the neon coloured crayon fruits called "fruit cake' is actually a nefarious plot "cooked" up by TSSOFL (the secret society of fruit cake lovers) to hand out to people, to actively discourage anyone from wanting to eat fruit cake. That way, if fruit cake is offered, people hastily back away - and if you plan it well (say for when the idiot neighbours come carolling and refuse to leave) they back up all the way to their own homes (and while we do try to use our powers for good not evil, but what ever works - our motto is all the more for TSSOFL)

As for my recipe, it contains only dried REAL fruit like raisins, currants, apricots, dates, figs and cranberries cut into itsy pieces and marinated in sherry for a month. Then when sufficiently boozy (erratically flying fruit flies is a good sign) it's held together with a batter made with butter, sugar, the merest smidge of flour, some spice, nuts and a bit more sherry. Baked, it is then wrapped in cloth that is soaked in yet again more sherry and allowed to sit for a few weeks - taken out at intervals to be doused with more sherry of course. Wonderful - but mine ALL MINE.

*note to self* stock up on sawdust and crayon supply, and since I let the cat out of the bag, inform TSSOFL members of the new double secret handshake.;)

Last edited:

MizzACEE

VERY Proud AUNTIE to be!!!
Registered
Reaction score
dahmnait said:
Ok, you need to take down your ticker. Like I need to be reminded that I have done nothing about the holiday. :tongue

ETA: mmm pumpkin pie.

LOL I havent either! No shopping, NOTHING! With the move we dont know if we'll be here for x-mas or not, so its a tough situation.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
reading this, I've just realised that I avoid all this *waves hand at screen* stuff.

I look forward to cooking a Proper meal (meat and 3 veg rather than just veg). The traditional Christmas night lock-in at my local.

On a completed unrelated note, I just remembered where the quote in serenity's sig comes from.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Christmas cookies with frosting and pies with homeade whipped cream...so much better than Cool-Whip or that weird crap in the squirt can.

BTW, dahmnait and MizzACEE...just wanted to rub in that I finished my Christmas shopping last week! :D Have fun at the mall!

Status
Not open for further replies.