PDA

View Full Version : Surviving Black Friday

Little Red Barn
11-21-2006, 05:49 PM
My newspapers morning headline screamed BLACK FRIDAY...prepare to tackle...

I'm not a Mall shopper, but it did get me to thinking about my Christmas list...

I'd like your suggestions about books...each year I buy books for special far away friends or 'that hard to shop for person.' Just some basic nice reads.

Last year I gave out The WHY CAFE, the year before was Suzanne's Diary to Nicholas(three tissue book).

MidnightMuse
11-21-2006, 07:40 PM
I give the same book to my sister's kids every year for Christmas.

My checkbook.

Shadow_Ferret
11-21-2006, 07:45 PM
I give the same book to my sister's kids every year for Christmas.

My checkbook.

Hey, that's the book my kids get, too.

paprikapink
11-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Last year everybody got "Stories of Strength."

My husband got "Offspring" for his birthday which was yesterday; earlier I'd given him "The Pacific Between." I gave my daughter "Collinsfort Village." Gave myself "What Fish Don't Want You to Know" and "How to Make a Real Living as a Freelance Writer."

Hadn't noticed till just now how much AW has helped me with my gift list!

TrainofThought
11-21-2006, 07:56 PM
My family gets my checkbook with a price. I harass them and smack them around all year round, especially my niece and nephew. Being an aunt is so much fun.

Back to the subject to name a few: I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb; A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving; The Red Tent by Anita Diamant; The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (my favorite of all); and The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie.

Shadow_Ferret
11-21-2006, 08:15 PM
I never give books I enjoyed to anyone because nobody has the same tastes as me. And if someone gave me a "you just have to read this, it's so touching" book I'd return it forthwith because I don't read those kinds of books.

If I think they'd enjoy a book, I get them a gift certificate.

PattiTheWicked
11-21-2006, 08:17 PM
I'm pretty generic, I just make people gifts each year. Last year, everyone got a fuzzy fleece hat with a matching scarf. This year, it's clay ornaments and felt holiday pillows. Oh, and baked goods. Lots of those going around.

I really don't like to buy people books, because stuff I think is good might not be what they like.

WackAMole
11-21-2006, 08:18 PM
I go buy starbucks gift cards, get up at 4am and go watch people wrestle over stuff heh

Its great writing material to watch people at their worst LOL

Little Red Barn
11-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks all, I am writing them down...this is also something my daughter's teachers like to receive as well and they tend to be kind of like me..ie; will read just about anything thats keeps their attn:! My tastes run from History, Bios, Romance, Sci Fi, How To's and on and on as long as it's good!

PeeDee
11-21-2006, 08:21 PM
I go wander the stores, and the mall. I don't really buy anything (with crowds like that, I don't even bring my wallet). I just watch as the combined population of not only St. Cloud and it's surrounding towns but all the outerlying towns (quite a lot) descend on our stores.

I like being in the press of people. That's probably strange.

WackAMole
11-21-2006, 08:22 PM
I go wander the stores, and the mall. I don't really buy anything (with crowds like that, I don't even bring my wallet). I just watch as the combined population of not only St. Cloud and it's surrounding towns but all the outerlying towns (quite a lot) descend on our stores.

I like being in the press of people. That's probably strange.

Nope! I like that too!

TrainofThought
11-21-2006, 08:54 PM
I like being in the press of people. That's probably strange.To me, this is strange. I can't stand crowds. I'm trying to buy most of my gifts on-line to avoid the obnoxious people. I have ‘road rage’ and ‘shopping rage’. No one wants me around.

PeeDee
11-21-2006, 08:56 PM
To me, this is strange. I can't stand crowds. I'm trying to buy most of my gifts on-line to avoid the obnoxious people. I have ‘road rage’ and ‘shopping rage’. No one wants me around.

I have neither. I go from gently bemused to, if the crowds REALLY get to me, possibly bothered. I never get much higher, unless someone actively punches me in the face.

Which, since I'm not reaching for anything, is not a concern.

(wear boots, though, or your feet will not survive the morons.)

TrainofThought
11-21-2006, 08:59 PM
I have neither. I go from gently bemused to, if the crowds REALLY get to me, possibly bothered. I never get much higher, unless someone actively punches me in the face.I'm the one wanting to throw the punches, but never at you PeeDee. Well, I’m not looking forward to the holiday season anyways.

PeeDee
11-21-2006, 09:10 PM
That strikes ME as strange, so now we're even.

From about October 1st through New Years (and a little after), this is my absolute favorite time of the year. I love it to death.

It probably helps that I don't actually stress at any single point in the year, except maybe sometime in December when it's 2am and I'm pulling one of the cats out of the Christmas tree. Again.

TrainofThought
11-21-2006, 09:57 PM
That strikes ME as strange, so now we're even. You are strange, but in a good way. Now we’re even.

SpookyWriter
11-21-2006, 10:03 PM
I thought this was about the stock market crash.

Shadow_Ferret
11-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Was that a Friday?

Little Red Barn
11-21-2006, 10:08 PM
I thought this was about the stock market crash.:roll:

SpookyWriter
11-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Was that a Friday?All bad things happen on Friday. Just wait and see...

WackAMole
11-21-2006, 11:13 PM
What could possibly go wrong! After all WalMart and Target are competing this year :roll:

SpookyWriter
11-21-2006, 11:16 PM
What could possibly go wrong! After all WalMart and Target are competing this year :roll:They could merge before then and stifle competition. :cry:

Shadow_Ferret
11-21-2006, 11:33 PM
What could possibly go wrong! After all WalMart and Target are competing this year :roll:

I guess I didn't understand this.

WackAMole
11-21-2006, 11:41 PM

I was joking around with spooky when he said all bad things happen on friday :P

SpookyWriter
11-21-2006, 11:48 PM
But it's true...

Mystery1
11-22-2006, 04:15 AM
^

writerterri
11-22-2006, 04:32 AM
I don't go into Walmart on Black Friday unless I'm packing. I don't own a gun so I guess I'm staying home. I went one time and it was my last. I won't even attempt the mall, no way. I'd rather miss the savings than get lost like a fart in a sewer among a sea of people.

I'll pray for you who do go out on that day.

Suckers.

Freckles
11-22-2006, 04:37 AM
That strikes ME as strange, so now we're even.

From about October 1st through New Years (and a little after), this is my absolute favorite time of the year. I love it to death.

It probably helps that I don't actually stress at any single point in the year, except maybe sometime in December when it's 2am and I'm pulling one of the cats out of the Christmas tree. Again.

I like your philosophy, Pete. I think I shall make it my mantra this year...I will NOT get stressed out. :D Thanks! Now I'm definitely going to avoid the stores this Friday...it's going to be C-R-A-Z-Y!!

Little Red Barn
11-22-2006, 04:37 AM
But it's true...
Spooky but aren't you being a tad bit paranoid about FRI ...not all fridays fall on the 13th:roll:

Little Red Barn
11-22-2006, 04:39 AM
I don't go into Walmart on Black Friday unless I'm packing. I don't own a gun so I guess I'm staying home. I went one time and it was my last. I won't even attempt the mall, no way. I'd rather miss the savings than get lost like a fart in a sewer among a sea of people.:roll:

Suckers.

What and miss the best day for research on your new book!:whip: :whip:

SpookyWriter
11-22-2006, 05:15 AM
Spooky but aren't you being a tad bit paranoid about FRI ...not all fridays fall on the 13th:roll:Are you so sure? Try visiting a parallel university on bikini day and see what happens.

Little Red Barn
11-22-2006, 05:18 AM
:ROFL:
Are you so sure? Try visiting a parallel university on bikini day and see what happens.

Little Red Barn
11-22-2006, 05:21 AM
I think Walmart lowered even their lower prices, thus invoking a price war!:hooray:

Carole
11-22-2006, 06:09 AM
I don't do Black Friday. It's not really a boycott, but I loathe crowds. I stay home and enjoy the peace and quiet. I know my boys will really want to go to the mall. Thankfully, they're of an age that they can go by themselves. I hate the mall. Any time of year, I avoid malls like the plague.

Something about the frantic energy of Christmas shopping makes me incredibly uncomfortable and sends me looking for the nearest exit. I've been known to go sit outside on a bench until everyone else in my group is finished shopping.

I do have a lot of Christmas shopping left to do. Unfortunately I didn't get it done before the mad rush season. Most of the time, I am a leisurely shopper. At Christmas, I have my list and I am able to go into a store, buy the thing I am after and get the flip out of there ASAP.

Did I say that I hate the mall? Any mall. I don't care how fabulous it is. I hate malls.

People bump into you, it's LOUD, there's jingly things going on everywhere, kids are screaming, parents are screaming back at the kids telling them to be quiet, people block aisles to ensure they get to one of the last 1,000 widgets left before you do. *shudder* It makes me feel like looking really hard through my purse for a flask of something soothing.

The only peaceful thing about shopping at Christmas is the ride home. The closer I get to home, the calmer I become.

Siddow
11-22-2006, 06:27 AM
We hold a Christmas party every year, where each adult brings one present to exchange; we draw numbers, etc...White Elephant party, I believe it's called. The friends and relatives may bring presents for the children (I buy for my BF's kids), but other than that, we don't do a big gift swap. If you're not at the party, you're off the hook...for giving AND getting.

Of course, Santa comes to see my own children, and myself and the hubby, too. But Santa ships by UPS.

It's really fun. I'd rather prepare a bunch of appetizers and have everyone over, coming away with a single present (how do I always end up with the back massager? *wink-wink*), than to have my friends and family--and myself-- stressing out about shopping all season. My annual party is really my gift to everyone. That, and the Salad Shooter.

Lyra Jean
11-22-2006, 06:38 AM
I don't go into Walmart on Black Friday unless I'm packing. I don't own a gun so I guess I'm staying home. I went one time and it was my last. I won't even attempt the mall, no way. I'd rather miss the savings than get lost like a fart in a sewer among a sea of people.

Suckers.

I have no choice. I work there.

writerterri
11-22-2006, 09:43 PM
I have no choice. I work there.

I'm sorry.

Please PM me with any funny stories. I'm putting something together.

Please!

Terri

WackAMole
11-22-2006, 09:56 PM
I'm sorry.

Please PM me with any funny stories. I'm putting something together.

Please!

Terri

Liver dangerously!! GO TO WALMART..just leave the gun at home :P

Seriously, grab a starbucks, go find a seat and just watch..its humankind during its lowest moment! My sister and I have a pact to go every year!

One year, I had my daughter with me who was only 3 months old. After braving the lines outside at 5am, I got inside only to get trapped between a sea of shopping carts. I actually had to physically grab the ladies cart and move it because she looked straight at me and wouldnt let me out!

I dont take my kids anymore, but my sister and I laugh our you know whats off watching all the fun!

writerterri
11-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Liver dangerously!! GO TO WALMART..just leave the gun at home :P

Seriously, grab a starbucks, go find a seat and just watch..its humankind during its lowest moment! My sister and I have a pact to go every year!

One year, I had my daughter with me who was only 3 months old. After braving the lines outside at 5am, I got inside only to get trapped between a sea of shopping carts. I actually had to physically grab the ladies cart and move it because she looked straight at me and wouldnt let me out!

I dont take my kids anymore, but my sister and I laugh our you know whats off watching all the fun!

I did it once. I was thinking of clearing an isle by barfing in the middle of it so I could get some shopping done. Maybe I will do it this year.

WackAMole
11-22-2006, 10:09 PM
I did it once. I was thinking of clearing an isle by barfing in the middle of it so I could get some shopping done. Maybe I will do it this year.

>:) I dare you! hehe

(take a vid we can post it on youtube LOL)

writerterri
11-22-2006, 10:12 PM
>:) I dare you! hehe

(take a vid we can post it on youtube LOL)

I'm going to make some smelly puke and let it ferment until black Friday. Then just throw a cup out here and there. It'll clear the way. I'll have to rush and shop cause I know I'll get kicked out soon.

That would be funny to video it.

Little Red Barn
11-22-2006, 10:52 PM
:ROFL:
I'm going to make some smelly puke and let it ferment until black Friday. Then just throw a cup out here and there. It'll clear the way. I'll have to rush and shop cause I know I'll get kicked out soon.

That would be funny to video it.
:roll:

WackAMole
11-22-2006, 10:54 PM
I got the cam if you have the puke! hehe

Shadow_Ferret
11-22-2006, 11:27 PM
I don't get why people go shopping that day if EVERYONE is going shopping that day.

It's like women who keep getting pregnant forgetting how awful the experience was the last time.

I try to get all my Christmas shopping done BEFORE Thanksgiving or I do it online.

WackAMole
11-22-2006, 11:28 PM
I don't get why people go shopping that day if EVERYONE is going shopping that day.

It's like women who keep getting pregnant forgetting how awful the experience was the last time.

I try to get all my Christmas shopping done BEFORE Thanksgiving or I do it online.

For me and my sis, it's purely for entertainment purposes

Shadow_Ferret
11-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Ah. Kind of like people who find masochism a turn on, huh? :D

writerterri
11-22-2006, 11:49 PM
I got the cam if you have the puke! hehe

Deal. Black Friday, left enterance, 5am.

Carole
11-23-2006, 08:04 AM
You know, the grocery store on the evening before Thanksgiving isn't much better. I just returned. Bad idea. I didn't get my rosemary. I could see it. I was almost there. But the aisle was crammed with buggies everywhere and NO one was going to give up and move over. For most of my shopping this evening, and I just had to pick up a few things, I parked my buggy out of the way at the end of the aisle and just walked through the sea of people. They were nudging and pushing through the baking aisle like they were never going to see a bag of flour again. All I wanted was a little bottle of oil.

And why. WHY do you bring your forty-eleven kids with you on a nighttime trip to Kroger? WHY? They do NOT want to be there. They lay down in the aisles. They scream for cocoa-crunchies. They fight with their brothers and sisters.

*whimper* I'm scarred for life, I think. When I got home, I realized the the bag in the freezer that I thought contained brown sugar actually contained coconut. I gave hubby the pouty eyes and I think he is going to get me some in the morning.

Little Red Barn
12-10-2006, 05:19 AM
You know, the grocery store on the evening before Thanksgiving isn't much better. I just returned. Bad idea. I didn't get my rosemary. I could see it. I was almost there. But the aisle was crammed with buggies everywhere and NO one was going to give up and move over. For most of my shopping this evening, and I just had to pick up a few things, I parked my buggy out of the way at the end of the aisle and just walked through the sea of people. They were nudging and pushing through the baking aisle like they were never going to see a bag of flour again. All I wanted was a little bottle of oil.

And why. WHY do you bring your forty-eleven kids with you on a nighttime trip to Kroger? WHY? They do NOT want to be there. They lay down in the aisles. They scream for cocoa-crunchies. They fight with their brothers and sisters.

*whimper* I'm scarred for life, I think. When I got home, I realized the the bag in the freezer that I thought contained brown sugar actually contained coconut. I gave hubby the pouty eyes and I think he is going to get me some in the morning.

;) Carole, have you ever been in a grocery store on Thanksgiving Day...
It's pitiful, really pitiful....Nothing but men wandering around bumping into one another, with no clue as to which ailse or what rosemary is, or the weird little spices wifey sends him after...

I've never been, but hubby has..;) yup, every year! Sometimes he's been known to go twice...one year he went three times. It's those weird lil' off the wall things that you maybe only buy once a year...allspice for the yams...sage for the dressing etc..
One year he got excited because he ran into a man that was sent back a second time as well, and together they found their rare items w/o clerks assistance. talk about bonding...:D

This year was almost a 3 timer for hubby....I stood over the stove, looked at the can of yams...hubby walked in kitchen...we locked eyes...(really needed those marshmallows for those yams) slow motion our eyes met the clock...nope he wouldn't make it..it was 4:45 and the grocery closed at five. A short reprieve, put on hold for another year!
kimmi just smiles, as he breathes a sigh of relief...she knows the 7/11 has them.....:tongue

kimmi who loves her adorable husband!

PeeDee
12-10-2006, 05:23 AM
That's funny. The ironic thing is, I'm the one who does most of the cooking in our house (because it's as close as I get to a hobby) and so on Thanksgiving day, I'm the one going through the store, except I know where I'm going.

My wife just wanders around and picks up interesting things to buy. Sheesh.

SpookyWriter
12-10-2006, 05:25 AM
That's funny. The ironic thing is, I'm the one who does most of the cooking in our house (because it's as close as I get to a hobby) and so on Thanksgiving day, I'm the one going through the store, except I know where I'm going.

My wife just wanders around and picks up interesting things to buy. Sheesh.:D Just wait a few more months, my friend and then even random purchases won't make much sense from a pregnant woman.

Little Red Barn
12-10-2006, 05:26 AM
You know Pee Dee if I were single this would be the place to be on these special days!;)
GROCERY, Pee Dee

PeeDee
12-10-2006, 05:28 AM
What, AW? Or the grocery store?

Little Red Barn
12-10-2006, 05:29 AM
Well sweetie I am still talking about the grocery! You're quick:D

PeeDee
12-10-2006, 05:34 AM
Well sweetie I am still talking about the grocery! Your fast:D

For five bucks, yes.

*wishes someone would provide cue cards for AW conversations*

Little Red Barn
12-10-2006, 05:37 AM
For five bucks, yes.

*wishes someone would provide cue cards for AW conversations*

Now Im lost...give me a cue card....:tongue
I meant for single women, a grocery on Thanksgiving Day would be the place to be!
What $5.00?

PeeDee
12-10-2006, 05:38 AM
Oh! Now I get what you mean! Okay!

The five dollars is.........for charity........................................... ............

Little Red Barn
12-10-2006, 05:40 AM
Oh! Now I get what you mean! Okay!

The five dollars is.........for charity........................................... ............

Charity..Whhat? Im getting even more lost(which isn't hard for me)...
What are we saying Pee Dee?:roll:

PeeDee
12-10-2006, 05:48 AM
We are talking about grocery stores and the purchasing of food. Yes.

I am going grocery shopping in an hour or so. This makes me happy, because I'm out of curry powder and cayanne. What kind of a Cajun am I, if I cook without cayanne and chili powder? (Just realized, I need more chili powder too)

Little Red Barn
12-10-2006, 05:56 AM

I am going grocery shopping in an hour or so. This makes me happy, because I'm out of curry powder and cayanne. What kind of a Cajun am I, if I cook without cayanne and chili powder? (Just realized, I need more chili powder too)

Ahhh! Finally:Shrug: You need $5.00 yes? To go grocery shopping! I apologize...It's getting close to bedtime...Cooking chili?
Need to go to Sams and stock up on your spices which they sell in huge quanities.

Ps..It's my 100 yr. old Barn Pee Dee, and thanks!

Little Red Barn
12-10-2006, 09:15 PM

:roll:
What a nite...get your chili made?

dclary
12-10-2006, 09:39 PM
We spent over $1000 on Black Friday. Plus side: we got 3 elmo xtremes.

Little Red Barn
12-10-2006, 09:59 PM
We spent over $1000 on Black Friday. Plus side: we got 3 elmo xtremes.

Woza, and whoo hoo on your Elmos! 3 babes are going to be extremely giggly Christmas morn:)

JoeEkaitis
12-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Please pray for Cathy and me. We're going to Target for a few things right after church.

Little Red Barn
12-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Please pray for Cathy and me. We're going to Target for a few things right after church.

Done!:)