Surviving Black Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My newspapers morning headline screamed BLACK FRIDAY...prepare to tackle...

I'm not a Mall shopper, but it did get me to thinking about my Christmas list...

I'd like your suggestions about books...each year I buy books for special far away friends or 'that hard to shop for person.' Just some basic nice reads.

Last year I gave out The WHY CAFE, the year before was Suzanne's Diary to Nicholas(three tissue book).

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I give the same book to my sister's kids every year for Christmas.

My checkbook.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
Last year everybody got "Stories of Strength."

My husband got "Offspring" for his birthday which was yesterday; earlier I'd given him "The Pacific Between." I gave my daughter "Collinsfort Village." Gave myself "What Fish Don't Want You to Know" and "How to Make a Real Living as a Freelance Writer."

Hadn't noticed till just now how much AW has helped me with my gift list!

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
My family gets my checkbook with a price. I harass them and smack them around all year round, especially my niece and nephew. Being an aunt is so much fun.

Back to the subject to name a few: I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb; A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving; The Red Tent by Anita Diamant; The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (my favorite of all); and The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I never give books I enjoyed to anyone because nobody has the same tastes as me. And if someone gave me a "you just have to read this, it's so touching" book I'd return it forthwith because I don't read those kinds of books.

If I think they'd enjoy a book, I get them a gift certificate.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I'm pretty generic, I just make people gifts each year. Last year, everyone got a fuzzy fleece hat with a matching scarf. This year, it's clay ornaments and felt holiday pillows. Oh, and baked goods. Lots of those going around.

I really don't like to buy people books, because stuff I think is good might not be what they like.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
I go buy starbucks gift cards, get up at 4am and go watch people wrestle over stuff heh

Its great writing material to watch people at their worst LOL

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all, I am writing them down...this is also something my daughter's teachers like to receive as well and they tend to be kind of like me..ie; will read just about anything thats keeps their attn:! My tastes run from History, Bios, Romance, Sci Fi, How To's and on and on as long as it's good!

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I go wander the stores, and the mall. I don't really buy anything (with crowds like that, I don't even bring my wallet). I just watch as the combined population of not only St. Cloud and it's surrounding towns but all the outerlying towns (quite a lot) descend on our stores.

I like being in the press of people. That's probably strange.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
I go wander the stores, and the mall. I don't really buy anything (with crowds like that, I don't even bring my wallet). I just watch as the combined population of not only St. Cloud and it's surrounding towns but all the outerlying towns (quite a lot) descend on our stores.

Nope! I like that too!

TrainofThought

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
PeeDee said:
To me, this is strange. I can't stand crowds. I'm trying to buy most of my gifts on-line to avoid the obnoxious people. I have ‘road rage’ and ‘shopping rage’. No one wants me around.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
TrainofThought said:
To me, this is strange. I can't stand crowds. I'm trying to buy most of my gifts on-line to avoid the obnoxious people. I have ‘road rage’ and ‘shopping rage’. No one wants me around.

I have neither. I go from gently bemused to, if the crowds REALLY get to me, possibly bothered. I never get much higher, unless someone actively punches me in the face.

Which, since I'm not reaching for anything, is not a concern.

(wear boots, though, or your feet will not survive the morons.)

TrainofThought

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
PeeDee said:
I have neither. I go from gently bemused to, if the crowds REALLY get to me, possibly bothered. I never get much higher, unless someone actively punches me in the face.
I'm the one wanting to throw the punches, but never at you PeeDee. Well, I’m not looking forward to the holiday season anyways.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
That strikes ME as strange, so now we're even.

From about October 1st through New Years (and a little after), this is my absolute favorite time of the year. I love it to death.

It probably helps that I don't actually stress at any single point in the year, except maybe sometime in December when it's 2am and I'm pulling one of the cats out of the Christmas tree. Again.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
What could possibly go wrong! After all WalMart and Target are competing this year :roll:

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
I guess I didn't understand this.

I was joking around with spooky when he said all bad things happen on friday :p

Status
Not open for further replies.