Inciting Incident of Misery

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstralisLux

About the film "Misery", do you think the Inciting Incident is: (a) the car wreck or (b) when Annie Wilkes discovers that Misery dies and tells Paul that she never actually called his family and that he can't escape?

NikeeGoddess

the inciting incident is the first bit of action that starts the domino effect. it's also an action caused by the protagonist (not your antagonist which is the 2nd example); therefore, your answer must be (a).

AstralisLux

Nike, I agree with A, but disagree with your definition. The protagonist doesn't have to cause the action - but must be the one that has to react to it.

For example, in Jaws, when the shark eats its first victim and the body washes on the shore, the sheriff reacts to it. Certainly the protagonist of the movie isn't Jaws.

maestrowork

An inciting incident is one that highlights/starts the main conflict. Of course, like many things, it's up for interpretation.

I think that in the case of Misery, it's when Annie "rescues" Paul from his accident. The accident itself is just an event. It could have been resolved if someone else finds him. But the action of Annie taking Paul in sets the whole thing in motion. But one can argue that Annie has been stalking Paul, and that's why she's on hand when the accident happens. So the accident could be the inciting incident...

As for (B), it's called a turning point.

For me, in Jaws, the inciting incident is when the Sherrif discovers the victim's hand. The shark attack is only an event. It can easily been unreported, etc. It's only when the sherrif finds the victim that sets the whole thing in motion (the main conflict: "shark attack" vs. "opening the beach for the season") So the shark attack is only a prologue. The story starts when the sherrif finds the hand.

AstralisLux

I agree Maestro. I don't remember Jaws exactly, but it's only when the Sheriff reacts to the carnage that the story is set in motion, which was caused by the shark.

I think that (B), the turning point, is the first-act climax, agree?

NikeeGoddess

according to McKee's definitions: "The protagonist must react to the Inciting Incident." "...the Incinting Incident is a single event that either happens directly to the protagonist or is caused by the protagonist."

both of these statements eliminate (b) and is why i picked (a). just b/c i didn't write out a full definition doesn't negate my explanation.

however, why did you ask the question since you knew the answer? :shrug

AstralisLux

Hi Nike,

McKee says: 'that either happens directly to the protagonist'. B happens directly to the protagonist. Just like in Jaws, the Sheriff finds the hand or body (can't remember) although he's not the one that eats the body nor is eaten.

Anyhow, I needed confirmation and the more I thought about it, I realized that it was indeed A so we definitely agree with that! :D

kojled

al

ii is car wreck. other plot point mentioned may be act I turning point - don't know as it's been ages since seen misery. memory is foggy but i think the pp you cite - aw discovers misery dies - comes in middle act II

anyway, ii is car wreck

zilla

AstralisLux

Are you cheating on your homework?
No. Unfortunately, I'm not in any course. But, it's good to see that someone thinks I'm thinking it through academically.

Kojled,

Thanks for the confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.