If you knew - for sure - that you would never make it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
How would it affect your writing?

Would you write less or more?

Would you change medium? Topic? Style?

Would you do as much rewriting?

Would you break more rules?

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
That's a good question! I read Ms. Snark's column and she pointed out frequency of writing was not as important as quality. I think she may be right.

Now, I do have some reservations on what 'quality' can be; there seems to be so many levels and opinions.

I've found myself writing horror shorts lately, but I don't know why. It just feels 'right' at this time. PeeDee made a good comment in the Burnt Toast thread that I think is helpful.

In any event, I enjoy stories and writing them down, whether they are ever published or not, is something I do for myself. Even though I hope to have most of them pubbed, someday.:)

OmenSpirits.com

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.omenspirits.com
BottomlessCup said:

It wouldn't effect it. It's my purpose. My drive. I'll live this way till I die. The publishing end is only a by-product of the creative process, not the ultimate goal. It's a desired goal, yes, to see one's name in print along with those you may read and or admire, but as long as I was driven to do so, to write, to create from the madness within and release the tales that come forth, then I'd be satisfied.

I never hinged my writing on the simple fact of seeing it published. I enjoy it when my writing is appreciated, and recognized as being quality, but to put it all on being published, just wouldn't keep to the truth of why I write.

Last edited:

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't make any difference for me. I'm writing, and learning, and writing again to make my novels the best I can make them. Being up there with the big boys on the bookshelves would be nice but ultimately I'm writing because I like writing.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I'm an eternal optimist. Even if someone told me I'd never make it (and with the odds being what they are, it could be true), I'd still believe there was a chance. So, I'd still work and still try to learn as much as I could.

greglondon

Planet Wookie techno geek
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
Website
www.greglondon.com
BottomlessCup said:
If you knew - for sure - that you would never make it... How would it affect your writing?

As long as I saw that I was improving my skills in some way, I'd keep at it. I've hit lulls where I felt like I was stuck, didn't know what to do, and writing went on the back burner. The thing that kept me going was knowing that there was something I needed to learn, I just didn't know what it was at the time.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
BottomlessCup said:

It would affect my writing somewhat, although not much. I will explain as I go further into this post.

I probably would write about the same amount as I do now. To me, writing is a part of my life that I cannot just give up on. Even if I knew I would never make it--for certain--there would always be a reason to continue writing in my life. Whether it would be for my own private enjoyment, or for therapeutic reasons, I would not go without writing. It is a driving force that keeps me going, whether I ever 'make it' or not.

Medium: No, I'd probably still use my typewriter. There's just something about the sound of my old manual typewriter that has a magical effect on my writing.

Topic: Maybe I would go for some other topics, as well as the ones I already write in. I mean, if I knew I would never go anywhere with my writing, then really there would be nothing inhibiting me from writing some of my darkest, deepest thoughts or fantasies.

Style: Probably not. The style I write in is something that is so much a part of me that I cannot change it much if I even wanted to. Like I pointed out before, it is a part of me.

Knowing the perfectionist that I am, I would probably do even more re-writing. Knowing that I would never make it would give me no incentive whatsoever to submit a work, and therefore I would probably continue improving upon my manuscripts until the day I die. I can always find something to correct...

I'm not sure about that one. I might, but there would still be a sense within me of making my writing the best it can be. Even though other people might never read my work, I would have to live with the fact that I did not do my very best to make the work shine. That is something I would not want to live with.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Writing is like a drug I must have. Although I've published articles and short stories, my hope is to publish a novel.

Without hope, what are we?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
BottomlessCup said:

I don't think it would affect my writing. After a long bout with depression, I'd get back on the horse and keep at it. I'd write the same amount, but with less urgency. I would still write the same stories, nothing could change the nuttiness in my head. ;)

I don't think I'd rewrite as much. I would probably revert to my fanfiction habits of "Spell check, quick grammar check, and then post." I don't break many rules to begin with, so I can't say I'd break more.

More than anything else, if I knew I'd never make it, I would find a new urgency to change day jobs. I hold onto this one with the hopes of supplimenting my income with writing, but if that was never to be, I'd hit the Classifieds.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Since there are no guarantees anyway, I can't imagine it would change at all for me.

But then I have the luxury of doing with my writing whatever I please, no one is relying on my writing to put food on the table.

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
If I knew that I would never make it, I was guaranteed that I would never make it, then no; I would not stop writing. I would go to Lulu.com and put my book up there.

I'm only concerned about "making it" in so much as writing full-time and not having to work outside of that. But if I knew that I'd never make it, I would still write. I just wouldn't worry about breaking into the big time.

PS: By show of hands, who can't help but to hear Alf's voice as they read greglondon's posts?

jenfreedom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.growingagreenfamily.com
I've been writing my whole life in one way or another. I'm not sure what constitutes a general "made it." I'd like to make most of my writing $ from articles and maybe write a book someday. In August I started concentrating on articles over copy work and have assumed that I'll give myself until Spring to be able to make a full-time living with just article sales.

So far it's going well. Not making a full-time living yet because article take a long time to pay up but I'll have enough coming in by January to be paying half the bills with just article $. I think that I would quit writing articles if I knew I was not going to make it. Not very artistic but I need to support my son and so I need to do something I can make a decent wage with.

I do really like writing article (especially the funny stuff) but I'm more into writing because it allows me to work at home and homeschool than because it's releasing some expression and need in me. Writing to me is more of a job. I like writing in general and I'm good enough that people will pay me to do it - it's work. If article writing seems to be panning out too slowly by Spring then I'd likely go back to writing copy and grants FT. Not as fun but does pay the bills.

Sometimes I think, "Wow it'd be so cool if I wrote something amazing and telling that changed lives" but usually I'm thinking about the money side not the art form side of writing. I feel like having a business mind set has actually helped me to get work because the rejections don't bother me in a personal way just in a business-"I missed out on some money" way so I just keep sending out the queries.

I had a friend who tried article writing. Everytime he got a rejection he'd mope and cease all work. He'd say "his art" was rejected and get depressed. He repeated this for years and never made enough money to cover even half his bills. That is no way to run a business and as a writer I feel like you almost need to be a business first and artist second. So, yeah I'd quit without a second thought. Plus for freedom of expression I always have my blog and journal.

Take care
~ Jennifer

dobiwon

Planning to retire for the 5th time
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
magind7.wixsite.com
I have the privilege of having a full-time job (that I enjoy) outside of writing, so I don't have any financial pressure to publish. I've been writing a long time, and just started submitting a year ago. I wrote long before I ever thought of publishing anything, and I expect I'd write even if I come to think nothing will ever be published.

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
Rllgthunder said:
-snipped-
I've found myself writing horror shorts lately, but I don't know why. It just feels 'right' at this time. PeeDee made a good comment in the Burnt Toast thread that I think is helpful.

In any event, I enjoy stories and writing them down, whether they are ever published or not, is something I do for myself. Even though I hope to have most of them pubbed, someday.:)

Funny...I did the same thing with Westerns. I don't read the genre that much, but it just 'feels' right to write.

I'm like dobiwon in that I have a full-time job that is satisfying enough. I don't *need* to write in a financial sense, although the extra income would be nice. I've finished four novels (only one has been subbed anywhere) and am working on four more and a collection of short stories. How many of them will be subbed? Hard to say. Maybe only half. But I enjoy writing them, and have pulled 2-3 articles out of the research for two of the novels.

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
A lot depends on what it means to "make it". If it means to write full-time, I don't expect I'll ever be able to do that, for health insurance reasons if nothing else.

If I knew I'd never again be published though ... I don't know. Much as I enjoy (and sometimes hate) the process of writing a story, a huge part of my motivation is knowing readers are hopefully enjoying what I've done. If only a handful of people would ever see my stuff, and I knew that would never change, I think I'd have a much harder time staying motivated.

On the other hand, I tend to be pretty stubborn, so I could easily go the opposite way. "Never make it, huh? I'll show you!" Actually, that's about how it went for the first 5-10 years after I started writing...

Gigi Sahi

Registered
Reaction score
I would write regardless because I write for self-pleasure first; being published second. I've written for personal enjoyment for YEARS before I ever considered submitting my work for publication.

I have a cousin who has a lovely singing voice. For as long as I can remember, the whole family has been encouraging her to cut a demo and send it out to record companies. She's always refused by saying, "I sing for ME." Essentially, I feel the same way about writing.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
I'd still write. It might be a relief because the onus would be off me to be "good" but I would still stick to quality to the best of my ability and best of all, have fun. I try to write freely as if no one will ever judge it because my best stuff comes that way, but it's hard not to think of the editors and critics out there who will be reading it.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
If I knew for sure that I would never make it I'd quit writing. I'd stop kidding myself that I can write. And I'd probably stop hanging around here wasting everyone's time.

Not sure how I'd ever learn that though unless I could somehow see into the future or something.

So until then I guess I'll just struggle along, kidding myself that I can write and wasting everyone's time here.

Beyondian

musker vyusher
Registered
Reaction score
If I knew i would never make it... hmmm...
Well, I'm not writing only to get published. Being published is part of the goal, but the main reason I write is my characters tell me to. :D
So I would continue.
(Gotta keep 'em quiet somehow)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

It wouldn't.

The same amount.

No. No. No.

Yes.

No. I already firmly believe in breaking any rules that get in my way.

Annabella

writer again
Registered
Reaction score

I'd probably write more. My inner editor wouldn't be able to chatter so loud.

Really, seriously she needs to shut up-I haven't written in about three weeks. Someone take her-Please!

See Above

No. I already write in a variety of genres and forms.

Yes. I actually like rewriting. It means I've gotten over the giant hurdle of getting it written in the first place.

There are rules?

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
I would probably write more fearlessly.
At the same time, my motivation to improve might lessen.
I'm not entirely sure about either of those, though.

MyFirstMystery

Having Fun with Words
Registered
Reaction score
I write to communicate with the world - not simply for my own gratification. So as much as I love to write, part of that love comes from the notion of sharing parts of my mind with others.

I don't know what "make it" really means though. I don't plan on making buckets of dough from my writing. But if others will read it - that is good enough for me.

I don't think it would change the way I write.

MFM

Status
Not open for further replies.