Not open for further replies.

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
I am relieved to see that News Corp has decided not to publish the book by OJ Simpson - and how he, "if he were the murderer" would have committed the crimes.

It's interesting, though, that some view this as a loss for free speech - justifying it by saying that Hitler's Mein Kampf has never gone out of print and that people should be able to read what Simpson has to say.

On the other hand, I was surprised that News / HarperCollins would have considered printing Simpson's story in the first place.

Any comments?

Victoria Grossack
www.tapestryofbronze.com

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad that they cancelled his book. I think it shows that the business has a lot more class than some people would make it out to have.

Whether the man is guilty or not of murder in the court's eyes, he should not be able, like others have pointed out, to profit off someone else's pain and suffering....especially that of an entire family. That's just plain wrong.

Tallymark

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad they cancelled it too--especially since I work in a bookstore, and would've had to look at the thing every day. I still can't believe he had the gall to write a book with that title. It's like he's laughing in the face of the family.

And this whole thing's got nothing to do with free speech. OJ's allowed to say whatever he wants--but nobody's obligated to publish it.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Tallymark said:
And this whole thing's got nothing to do with free speech. OJ's allowed to say whatever he wants--but nobody's obligated to publish it.

That's exactly the way I feel about it. I am so glad it was cancelled. I'm also glad Fox isn't airing the interview either. I heard Barbara Walters refused to do the interview. Good for her.

RTH

Call me Ishmael
Registered
Reaction score
icerose said:
But at least he didn't get rich off his crimes. Just another piece of proof that there is such a thing as bad publicity.

Unfortunately, he did. He got paid a several million dollar advance, and on the news it sounded like he wasn't going to be asked for it back.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Harper will ask for it back. You can bet your britches on that one! If they don't, I'm sure their board of directors and stockholders will have a hissy fit and formally request the return of the money.

I heard through the grapevine he had put the money into an offshore account. Awe! Poor baby...my a##! What a slime bucket!

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
And I heard he put it into accounts for his kids. Which is a legal and IMO, much smarter way to keep your money safe if you owe a large amount to someone.

You put it in trust for your kids, and, of course, name yourself trustee.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I bet they don't ask for it back. He produced the book. He held up his end of whatever deal they had... so I'd bet dollars to donuts that he doesn't have to repay a cent.

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
From a news article...

"...while the former football star laughingly said he had been paid and had spent his advance."

And evidently the title was simply the idea of Judith Regan. Anyway, the cost will have to be born by NewsCorp - and I think they should bear the cost, for trying to implement such a tasteless idea.

VGrossack
www.tapestryofbronze.com

to those who prefer for this to be in "TIO" - first, I think this is a writing topic. But second, as a member with less than 50 posts, I'm not allowed to post over there.

Terre

Registered
Reaction score
I am so glad to hear that they cancelled OJ's book. I didn't understand why they offered him the chance anyway and was sickened by the idea that he had written such a book. It was one thing to let the man walk free, but quite another to offer him any kind of public exposure and pay him big money. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.