Short shorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaigeLee

Hello all.

I read the boards a lot, but tend to post less.

I just finished a short script that I would love some honest feedback on. Anyone have 15 min to give it a read?

-Taige

TaigeLee

'An obsessed writer toys with the idea of killing his co-worker.'

Sheesh... never tried one of those before. I read through a book that talked about them, but of course, I don't remember jack. Would a logline for a short be different than a feature?

There's more to it than that logline, should I be concerned about giving away the plot? (that ruins the fun of reading it)

-Taige

dpaterso

Sheesh... never tried one of those before. I read through a book that talked about them, but of course, I don't remember jack. Would a logline for a short be different than a feature?

I wouldn't think so, regardless of script length the logline still has to interest your audience and hint why this script is better than the other hundred or so that arrived this week.

There's more to it than that logline, should I be concerned about giving away the plot? (that ruins the fun of reading it)

The usual form is Act I and Act II -- introduction of characters and setting and conflict. You can keep your Act III twists and resolution secret, since they're probably what makes the story unique.

'An obsessed writer toys with the idea of killing his co-worker.'

What's he obsessed with? Is he working to deadline, or under any other kind of pressure? Does the subject matter have an effect upon him, e.g. "A writer researching famous historical murders..." Is there anything you can tell me about him that relates to theme or story?

Toys with the idea of killing his irritating, distracting, insulting co-worker? You could use this kind of description to hint at the reason why the writer is thinking malevolent thoughts.

Just asking, why does a writer have a co-worker? Writing is usually a solitary pursuit, unless you mean they work together on a newspaper or similar? In which case should you describe your writer as a newspaper reporter, or whatever he actually is?

These are random thoughts off the top of my head, don't take them or me too seriously. Maybe the logline doesn't matter, or maybe you can use it to interest people. I admire the helpful folks who are asking to read your script without knowing anything about it, or you. Me, I'm just a little too cynical to needlessly risk my sanity. ;) Hence my asking what it's about first.

-Derek
-----------------------​
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

TaigeLee

Joe is inspired to write his second novel, 'Kill Johnny Mills' about a man that finds out that he has to kill this person he's never met to save his own life, but when Joe meets Johnny Mills, he starts to lose it as his story becomes all too real.

closer?

-Taige

Status
Not open for further replies.