OJ's Book Deal Cancelled!

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
When you think about it, it makes sense not to promote this type of book.

Every killer in jail would be writing their memoirs, and how can there be justice in that?

It's like killing the victims again, and paying the killers to do it.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I can't believe good won over evil for once. Considering the publisher would make money on the rag, I'm super surprised, and glad.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Ferret is soft on felons. It's a jailbird brotherhood kinda thing. ;)

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
JoeEkaitis said:
Not to mention the trees that were spared.
Weren't the books already printed, though? :(

Maybe after the books are pulped, they can print something tasteful on the recycled paper.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
Um, OJ was found not guilty, remember? He's no felon so I have no sympathy for him. ;)
But you have 'Sympathy for the Devil' don't you?

Not guilty is different than innocent.
He may not be a felon, but he is a convicted criminal..(Civil case in 1997 he was found respnsible for....)
There is a law that prohibits murders and such from profiting by any aspect of their crimes, that is why you don't see more books by felons.

Regardless of the timing, I'm glad it isn't out. If he starts screaming about his first Ammendment patootie he can 'self publish' and be the 'shining star' in the crown of PA. (which would likely get closed down a week after people find out about it. Yeah!)

Unfortunately the show is already on tape and the book is already printed and shipped. Wanna bet some sick sleezy excuse for a bunch of words best left unsaid will be hawking stolen copies on E-bay?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Being found guilty in a civil court doesn't make one a criminal, just makes one liable. The rules there are much more lax. So in a court of law you can be found not guilty, but can be found guilty in a civil court. However, I don't believe you are then labeled legally "a criminal."

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
Being found guilty in a civil court doesn't make one a criminal, just makes one liable. The rules there are much more lax. So in a court of law you can be found not guilty, but can be found guilty in a civil court. However, I don't believe you are then labeled legally "a criminal."

Then why don't you take off the stripped suit, dear?

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Actual Sort of Publishing-related Questions...

OK, the book was supposed to come out next week, right? So the first printing has been printed. In fact, haven't most of the books already shipped? If they are sending out review copies, then the ARCs (advanced reading copies) have already been sent to reviewers. (I wonder how much they'll go for on eBay? Ack patooi! :tongue )

What does this do to bookstores (and non-bookstores that might have carried the book)? Sure, they don't have to pay for unsold books, but they may have planned a display for the book or even made room for it. Now they have to send them back. Does the publisher have to pay for the postage? Also, do they come down hard on any bookstores that opened the boxes (even to take a peek)?

What happens if someone "accidentally" doesn't hear the news and "accidentally" puts the book on the shelf? Or what if someone sneaks a copy out of one of those boxes and sells it? Will the bookstore get in trobule? Or if someone sells an ARC on eBay.

What will this do to HarperCollins? They've lost a lot of money on this. Will that hurt them in the long run (as well as the short run)? I know some writers who have books with them. I'd hate to think that the company might drop some innocent midlist authors to try to make up for the expenses from the mess. (After all, some writers got the shaft after their stock lost a lot of money because of a merger or something, so why not after this?)

SherryTex

Working on 2nd WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Wash DC area, surrounded by overachievers
Website
www.sherryantonettiwrites.blogspot.com
Well, maybe OJ can make up the money lost in this deal with a new book, a hypothetical "Tracking down the killer" thriller or some such, after all you know, he's never stopped searching for the killer, he's just avoided mirrors. Just glad we didn't have to listen to newscasts interviewing the idiots who would buy this pulp.