PDA

View Full Version : I don't give a hoot whether this has been going on for 200 years it still stinks

greglondon
11-21-2006, 02:16 AM
So sayeth the judge

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061120/ap_on_re_us/patronage_trial

greglondon
11-21-2006, 02:17 AM
:e2woo:

MattW
11-21-2006, 02:34 AM
That's good news. If Chicago can be cleaned up (even a little) there's hope for NJ.

New Orleans - could go either way.

SpookyWriter
11-21-2006, 03:05 AM
You may take the stink of of NJ politics, but you'll never get the smell out of NJ.

English Dave
11-21-2006, 03:21 AM
Local politics stinks even more than national politics. A bunch of self-servers out for what they can get. Politicians complain that people are losing faith in Democracy and it's not fair that anyone running for office has to be cleaner than clean.

Here's a tip for would be politicians. I don't give a flying fvck what you did before you ran for office. Come clean. It's what you propose to do, and I believe you will do, when you gain office that counts.

blacbird
11-21-2006, 03:31 AM
Local politics stinks even more than national politics.

I think you're probably right here. There's a lot less scrutiny at local governmental levels, and often a tighter good ol' boy network, so things can be got away with more easily. Some years ago I was a local reporter covering the courthouse beat, and a bribery scandal involving two (with a third questionable) of the County Supervisors and local contractors. Once people began to delve into it, the blatancy of the operation was breathtaking. But it had escaped notice for years because of the insular and secretive nature of these kinds of deals, and because nobody thought to ask the right questions. In the end, the two miscreants were forced off the Board, but I'm not sure they ever had to pay any fines or any other penalties; they definitely didn't go to jail. Chances are they got away with many thousands of taxpayer dollars, quite happily. I quit being a reporter just about the time that story played out, so I never followed it further. Most of that local reportage work was just too damn disheartening. Plus it didn't pay worth spit.

caw

English Dave
11-21-2006, 03:46 AM
And what kind of tip would that be, Mr. English Dave Under Investigation for Attempted Bribery?
I was poor and I took the money. Now I'm rich and feel guilty.

Oh attempted.

Dammit.