Drop Dead Gorgeous

Status
Not open for further replies.

FJ and G

Yeah, got a couple of those characters in my screenplay.

Conflicting advice from screenplay "how-to" authors. One fellow says to avoid these cliche's and instead, to describe the character and another says to use that phrase because it is flattering to an actress, and everyone knows that actresses have big egos and therefore will want to be in the character in your script.

I've taken a different approach and just let the director make the decision based on the context of the story.

Your take?

dpaterso

I vote you just tell me what I'm supposed to be seeing, and leave these higher debates to the powers-that-be. If your character's drop-dead gorgeous and you think that's the best way to describe her, then so be it. But here's the problem -- she has to infiltrate a beauty contest to find a serial killer! What makes her any different from the 100 other drop-dead gorgeous girls now appearing in the story? That difference is likely to be more interesting to me than learning she's drop-dead gorgeous.

-Derek
-----------------------​
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

maestrowork

Nothing's wrong with drop dead gorgeous, or cliche for that matter, if it suits your story. But a "drop dead gorgeous" character doesn't tell me anything. Stupid movies and reality TV are filled with drop dead gorgeous people. Drop-dead-gorgeous is a dime a dozen in Hollywood. If your script calls for a character that is "drop dead gorgeous" you'd better be sure it's a damn good character and not just a moving poster.

Also, do you really think Halle Barry or Charlize Theron cares if the role calls for "drop dead gorgeous"? They won Oscars for playing ugly.

kojled

fj/g

very tricky. i think '...curves everywhere, wearing a low-cut dress, dew of persperation on her full breasts, smokey eyes, and legs up to here' is better than, say, 'drop dead gorgous' or any other pat phrase -- the description draws the reader in, the phrase (i believe) distances the reader because it's cute and know it all.

on the other hand it's better to just get to the point: 'tom enters - he's a tree trunk of a man' you sort get it just from that - we know what tom is all about

i'd say that, when in doubt, write it out. write it good, draw the reader into your world - have them come along willingly, joyful and skipping - don't drag them in kicking and screaming

but...very tricky

zilla

urbanscreenwriter

I like to use phrases like. Maria, mid-twenties, breathtaking. It works for me. Age is something that they suggest you use, but I like to give a mid-late or early description. I think it gives, perhaps a broader spectrum to the reader and those who cast the film.

I have written 8 scripts and have at least 6 in the works and I am no expert, but I am opinionated and I am very observant. I think it takes a few finished works before you come into your particular style. I am comfortable with what I have to offer and now, I am branching out into my first sci-fi feature--soon a horror film.

Anomaly; what if the dinosaurs were'nt killed off by some natural disaster, what if what ended the dinosaurs has awaken to end us.

Think Ink

joecalabre

I try not to describe character's physical appearance, but more their type, personality or presence. After all, Ripley in "Alien" was described (in the original screenplay) as A MAN (Stalone was offered the part but turned it down).

The example someone used earlier of "breathtaking" works much better for me than "drop dead gorgeous" for one other reason.

Cliche's are fine (everyone uses them) for familiarity, but if you can find an equally meaning word or a phrase that catches my eye in a different way, I'll remember him/her more because of being impressed by the unique way the character is described.

Also, I'll be impressed with the writer's ability to think a little harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.