5 format questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

FJ and G

Read 4 books and couldn't find answers to these. Thanks for helping.

1.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp After the dialog, there is a descriptive and there is a parenthetical. Which format would be more correct, version A or B, or does it not matter?

A.
When my Matthew proposed to me, he offered me a fresh bouquet of orange and yellow buttercups.

She inhales deeply as if smelling them.

B.
When my Matthew proposed to me, he offered me a fresh bouquet of orange and yellow buttercups.
(inhales deeply as if smelling them)

2.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp If an animal is mentioned in the story but plays a minor role (not a talking animal, just a small part), is the animal’s name capitalized on first reference? I know it is for people who have speaking parts.

3. Are italics used for letters being read, a song being sung by a single character (an obscure song), and poetry?

4. If 6 characters are all chanting a single word at one time, do you write all size person's names in the "character" line above the dialog?

5. Are images (hallucinations) of people speaking written up the same way as normal character dialog with an explanation preceeding it?

Again, thanks.

Odocoileus virginianus

After the dialog, there is a descriptive and there is a parenthetical. Which format would be more correct, version A or B, or does it not matter?

A.

She inhales deeply as if smelling them.

B.
(inhales deeply as if smelling them)

(A) You're better off pulling the actions out of the parentheses and putting them in a separate action line. Some readers will just skip over anything in parentheses.

Alex Epstein on parentheticals, that is, wrylies:www.teako170.com/faq.html#wryly

2. If an animal is mentioned in the story but plays a minor role (not a talking animal, just a small part), is the animal’s name capitalized on first reference? I know it is for people who have speaking parts.

It's a good idea to capitalize the animal's name in a production script to let the producers and AD's know that they'll have to cast an animal, hire an animal wrangler, and set aside a trailer room or special accomodations for the animal. Animals working in film and TV come under special rules, more stringent in some respects than those governing the treatment of humans.

3. Are italics used for letters being read, a song being sung by a single character (an obscure song), and poetry?

Not normally, though I have seen them in some scripts. According to Trottier: "...write them as dialogue (since they are dialogue) in stanza form, just like a poem. An alternative is to use slashes... "

Hallucinations can be formatted like dream sequences and flashbacks. Lots of debate on this one. Read a bunch of scripts and use the approach that feels right.

For several characters all shouting the same word, I would use an action line: BOB, CAROL, TED, and ALICE all shout "No!" when the maid walks in on their erotic hijinks.

You could format it as simultaneous dialogue, but I think this would be tedious and confusing.

www.scriptwritingsecrets.com/DualDialogue.htm

maestrowork

1. A. Parenthesis should be used sparingly.

2. Yes, capitalize any names when first mentioned, regardless if it's a person or an animal.

3. Yes, italicize songs or poems or something that is to be recited.

4. I agree with the post above: use "action" to describe the simultaneous utterance of the same word.

5. Yes. As long as you're clear in your script that it's a "dream" or "halucination" scene.

FJ and G

THanks!!!! Very helpful. Also, I'm looking at the links you provided.

mammamaia

i'd follow ov's advice on all those points...

whoever this new poster is, he/she seems to know what's what in screenwriting... ave, you with the long latin moniker!

love and hugs, maia

SimonSays

Parenthetical or Description

If the action comes at the end of a character's dialogue, always write the action as description.

If the actions comes in the middle of a speech (i.e. if the character continued speaking after inhaling) then you could do either.

If it's an action that requires a lot of description, do it as action, if it's a couple of words, then go with a parenthetical.

Keep in mind that even a short action description in the middle of a block of dialogue requires 4 lines. The blank line between the dialogue and action, the action, the line after the action, and a line for the character's name when you go back to the dialogue. So if you're concerned about page count, a paranthentical will save you a little space.

joecalabre

Re: Parenthetical or Description

I try to follow the less is more theory.
I try not to use Parentheticals unless absolutely necessary and if you can't hear it or see it-- I don't write it.

SimonSays

Sometimes writing it as action can interrupt the flow of a block of dialogue. Because the reader is taken out of the conversation to read the action and then brought back in. With a parenthetical, the reader remains IN the dialogue.

maestrowork

Parenthetical means the character continues to speak while doing something, or the dialogue seems continuous (with a small beat).

You break it out to action if the action is more substantial than just a gesture or an expression, and the break in the dialogue is more than a brief pause.

Code:
                                MAN
                    I think you should consider it.
                         (holding out business card)
                    Call me.
vs.
Code:
                                MAN
                    I think you should consider it.

He walks up to the woman, hands her his business card, then tips his hat.
                                MAN (Cont'd)
                    Call me.

Status
Not open for further replies.