Pete Dexter

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I've read two of his novels, The Paper Boy, and Paris Trout, both of which I think very highly of. For some reason, I'm having trouble getting into Brotherly Love. But I regard Dexter very highly as a storyteller and as a prose stylist. His narration is spare and crisp without being minimalistically dry. I'm curious to know what other people think of his fiction.

caw

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone read Pete Dexter's book, PAPER TRAILS? It is a compilation of his best columns when he was a columnist at the Philadelphia Daily News. I have always thought he was a remarkable writer, but reading his columns and keeping in mind that he was always under the pressure of deadlines, it is clear now that it helped train him as a novelist. For my way of thinking, that's why everyday, come hell or high water, I write. It isn't a deadline, but there are sure as hell times when I don't think I have a single idea in my head.

Dexter, I think, is one of America's best!

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised no one has read Pete Dexter's PAPER TRAILS. Maybe someone has read his other stuff: THE PAPERBOY or PARIS TROUT. Fine writer.

Flay

Registered
Reaction score
I've read Paris Trout & Deadwood, both of which I liked. I didn't know he wrote a column, but I'll definitely check that out. Thanks.

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
Flay, Pete Hamil wrote the introduction and tells a great story about Tex Cobb--a former heavyweight boxer--and Dexter. Anyway, the columns are funny at times and profoundly sad and menacing at times. Gerry

Flay

Registered
Reaction score
Gerry, I've just finished reading Paper Trails. Thanks very much for the recommendation. It's a terrific book, & I intend to twist the arms of everyone I know until they've read it.

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
Gerry, I've just finished reading Paper Trails. Thanks very much for the recommendation. It's a terrific book, & I intend to twist the arms of everyone I know until they've read it.

Flay,
You're welcome! I love when Dexter and Tex Cobb go to that bar to kick some ass and those guys are out there with baseball bats and Cobb says: I hope there's a baseball game somewhere around here. Funny/tragic stuff.

Gerry