PDA

View Full Version : Pete Dexter

blacbird
11-20-2006, 12:39 PM
I've read two of his novels, The Paper Boy, and Paris Trout, both of which I think very highly of. For some reason, I'm having trouble getting into Brotherly Love. But I regard Dexter very highly as a storyteller and as a prose stylist. His narration is spare and crisp without being minimalistically dry. I'm curious to know what other people think of his fiction.

caw

gerrydodge
06-12-2007, 01:01 AM
Has anyone read Pete Dexter's book, PAPER TRAILS? It is a compilation of his best columns when he was a columnist at the Philadelphia Daily News. I have always thought he was a remarkable writer, but reading his columns and keeping in mind that he was always under the pressure of deadlines, it is clear now that it helped train him as a novelist. For my way of thinking, that's why everyday, come hell or high water, I write. It isn't a deadline, but there are sure as hell times when I don't think I have a single idea in my head.

Dexter, I think, is one of America's best!

gerrydodge
06-13-2007, 11:32 PM
I'm a little surprised no one has read Pete Dexter's PAPER TRAILS. Maybe someone has read his other stuff: THE PAPERBOY or PARIS TROUT. Fine writer.

Flay
06-14-2007, 07:38 AM
I've read Paris Trout & Deadwood, both of which I liked. I didn't know he wrote a column, but I'll definitely check that out. Thanks.

gerrydodge
06-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Flay, Pete Hamil wrote the introduction and tells a great story about Tex Cobb--a former heavyweight boxer--and Dexter. Anyway, the columns are funny at times and profoundly sad and menacing at times. Gerry

Flay
07-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Gerry, I've just finished reading Paper Trails. Thanks very much for the recommendation. It's a terrific book, & I intend to twist the arms of everyone I know until they've read it.

gerrydodge
07-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Gerry, I've just finished reading Paper Trails. Thanks very much for the recommendation. It's a terrific book, & I intend to twist the arms of everyone I know until they've read it.

Flay,
You're welcome! I love when Dexter and Tex Cobb go to that bar to kick some ass and those guys are out there with baseball bats and Cobb says: I hope there's a baseball game somewhere around here. Funny/tragic stuff.

Gerry