Absent Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

oswann

Grumpy
Registered
Reaction score
In some smarty pants place like everyone else writ
These are REAL notes written by PARENTS in a Tennessee school district. (Spellings have been left intact.)

1-- MY SON IS UNDER A DOCTOR'S CARE AND SHOULD NOT TAKE PE TODAY. PLEASE EXECUTE HIM.

2-- PLEASE EXKUCE LISA FOR BEING ABSENT SHE WAS SICK AND I HAD HER SHOT

3-- DEAR SCHOOL: PLEASE ECSC's JOHN BEING ABSENT ON JAN 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 AND ALSO 33.

4-- PLEASE EXCUSE GLORIA FROM JIM TODAY. SHE IS ADMINISTRATING.

5-- PLEASE EXCUSE ROLAND FROM P.E. FOR A FEW DAYS. YESTERDAY HE FELL OUT OF A TREE AND MISPLACED HIS HIP.

6-- JOHN HAS BEEN ABSENT BECAUSE HE HAD TWO TEETH TAKEN OUT OF HIS FACE.

7-- CARLOS WAS ABSENT YESTERDAY BECAUSE HE WAS PLAYING FOOTBALL. HE WAS HURT IN THE GROWING PART.

8-- MEGAN COULD NOT COME TO SCHOOL TODAY BECAUSE SHE HAS BEEN BOTHERED BY VERY CLOSE VEINS.

9-- CHRIS WILL NOT BE IN SCHOOL CUS HE HAS AN ACRE IN HIS SIDE.

10-- PLEASE EXCUSE RAY FRIDAY FROM SCHOOL HE HAS VERY LOOSE VOWELS.

Os.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Not to be a total ***, but if we're not allowed to make fun of France for its war record, I demand equal protection from other folks insulting the US for being stupid.

None of these are real, and they're certainly not from Tennessee. It's a fine, funny internet-style joke, and that's all.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
As much as it pains me, I have to sort of agree with Dave here.

If jokes about France aren't allowed (which play on its supposed cowardice), then jokes about Tennesseans/Southerners (which play on their supposed uneducated hick-ness) shouldn't be allowed either.

So, either nothing like this should be allowed because one or two people might get "offended," or people need to learn to take a joke.

What's it gonna be?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't go there, guys.*

*: This knee-jerk modjob sponsored by Robeiae Polling.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Why not?

I live in TN and a joke was just made about my fellow Tennesseans.

Do I not get equal protection, so to speak?

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
Ever write a note at six in the morning after spending three days with a puking kid? You spell everything right. :D

(I thought it was funny. Please remove all sticks before entering room and don't take everything so seriously. There's no need to make fun of France's war record, we all know. It's a joke, joke come on, gloves off.)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Poet, in my perfect world, I'm allowed to joke about any nation I'd like, and I accept the reciprocation from my friends around the globe.

But I've been told in no uncertain terms that we can't make jokes about other countries on AW. It bothers me somewhat that the US is not protected by these same rules.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Tiny and Poet, I think you're missing the point.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Dave and Spork. Forgot the smilie.

(See, robby, it was a sucky grudgematch idea.)

Y'see, it goes back to that robeiae poll that Trish and Terri won (or KTC vs. KTC). Oh, well.

I knew that Ken Berry Stand-Up Comedy School wouldn't be any good.

[ETA: Signed, Epstein's Mother.]

Last edited:

oswann

Grumpy
Registered
Reaction score
DrSpork said:
So, either nothing like this should be allowed because one or two people might get "offended," or people need to learn to take a joke.

What's it gonna be?

Point taken. However, I have heard funny jokes about France and laughed. The comments which have seeped out of these boards from time to time have not been funny and their intention has not been to make people laugh.

Os.

oswann

Grumpy
Registered
Reaction score
tiny terror said:
Awww Spork, I was just trying to defuse the situation. None of us believe those notes are real and stupidity spans the whole wide world. Maybe if Os had left off the Tenessee part? Just posted them as sillys?

FWIW I have seen notes like this in French too and for real.

Os.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
oswann said:
Point taken. However, I have heard funny jokes about France and laughed. The comments which have seeped out of these boards from time to time have not been funny and their intention has not been to make people laugh.

Os.

I know, Os, and I don't actually believe you posted this to insult anyone.

And, being from TN, I realize that there are a lot of stupid people here (just look at who these people just elected senator), though not as stupid as Alabama (that's a joke, people!).

But, the unwritten "rule" is that NO jokes at all are allowed about France, simply because you get offended. I understand that some "jokes" are not really "jokes" and that you have every right to be offended when these "jokes" cross the line into mean-spirited bile.

But, rather than imposing some arbitrary rule of disparate treatment, the mods should instead just delete the offensive posts and warn the poster, rather than "banning" all jokes.

Sometimes, the person telling the joke is being blatantly insensitive. Sometimes, the person hearing the joke is being hypersensitive.

Sometimes, either person needs to get a sense of humor.

I just think, from both a posting and a moderating standpoint, that common sense should rule rather than egg shells.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
tiny terror said:
Awww Spork, I was just trying to defuse the situation. None of us believe those notes are real and stupidity spans the whole wide world. Maybe if Os had left off the Tenessee part? Just posted them as sillys?

This is acceptable, as I stated in my closing statement.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
tiny terror said:

I wasn't actually mad.

I was just making a point about fairness.

:)

Last edited:

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Actually you do get peculiar notes in any school, anywhere.

My favourite (genuine) note was one my friend got from one of her pupils:

'Dear Teacher, Please excuse Jimmy being off as he had dyarr..., dairee..., dyreh... - a dose of the sh*ts.'

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Would peeps please slow down so I can finish reading the first joke. Mucho appreciatedo

alleycat

Waiting for Godot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with DrSpork.

But I wouldn't ask that it be deleted.

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
I think that any joke that's funny is acceptable, no matter how offensive. What matters is intent. I love jokes about Florida, and believe me, after the 2004 election we had plenty. That being said, if I think someone is actually trying to insult my home, I will definately offended. Also, I think there's a chance these notes are real, people, no matter where they live, can be freaking idiots!

Status
Not open for further replies.