genre blurring

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
How strict are agents' lists of genres they will accept if your book almost fits? Especially if your book is the kind that is hard to exactly fit in such lists at all?
This is what I'm dealing with: my book is juvenile literature, narrative nonfiction. It is very similar to juvenile fiction, but because it is a folklore collection that concerns actual beliefs systems and traditions, it is technically nonfiction even though most (or all) of the events it describes obviously never happened.

I want to submit to agents who list both juvenile fiction and narrative nonfiction. Very few agents specifically list juvenile nonfiction, and these often don't want my book because it is narrative nonfiction, and therefore way too similar to fiction for their tastes. I feel like I'm slipping between the cracks, but I don't want to upset agents and waste my time by submitting to agents who wouldn't want a book like mine anyway.

Is there a special exception for genre-spanning books, if the agent already lists the genres that are being spanned? Or is this a no-no?

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
Okay, um, you are mixing up fiction and nonfiction. Just because there are some true elements does not make it nonfiction. If the events are made up, it is fiction.

For example, look at Philippa Gregory's books. They are about the very, very true happenings of King Henry the Eighth's court. King Henry and the two Boleyn sisters are the main characters. But because no one knows exactly what happened and she has taken plenty of narrative license, it is called fiction.

It sounds like yours is definitely what I would consider fiction. That alone will probably help your agent search emmensely.

I suggest you got o agentquery.com and just look up YA under the ficiton menu.

Cheers!

Maprilynne

Last edited:

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Maprilynne said:
Okay, um, you are mixing up fiction and nonfiction. Just because there are some true elements does not make it nonfiction. If the events are made up, it is fiction.

This is a mistake that people are always making with folklore. Folklore is classified as nonfiction, and it is always placed in the nonfiction section of a library. I'm not talking about fiction adapted from folklore (for example Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine is an adaptation of Cinderella), which is most certainly fiction. I'm talking about retold folktales, which are always considered nonfiction. Even though my book is narrative in style, there isn't much difference (in a folklorist's eye) between it and a tome discussing the superstitions that have become ingrained among baseball players. I haven't personally made up any of the characters, dialogue or events that occur in my book, any more than the hypothetical author of the baseball superstition book made up superstitions that don't circulate among actual baseball players. You might find it easier if you think about the distinction this way: fiction is your own lie, nonfiction is when you write a report about someone else's lie.

However, since people are always making this mistake, I thought that it was a blurry enough area, in terms of genres that agents say they will work with, that I could easily bend the official rules.

Maprilynne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
I took a look at the link to your book and what you have here is academic YA fiction. It is still not non-fiction any more than greek mythology is considered non-fiction. You seem to be much more educated about folklore than I am, but an agent is not going to classify things quite the same way as the dewy decimal system. An agent will consider this YA fiction--with an academic bent, obviously--but it is still a book of stories more than a textbook about the folklore (or at least that's how it appears to me.)

For YA, usually YA is YA is YA. If you can possibly bend your genre from a very small, almost un-represented genre (YA non-fiction, which I didn't find at all on agentquery.com), to plain old YA (which yields 26 pages of agents) I would definitely just call it YA. You want your genre as wide as possible. You never want to call your book a paranormal romantic thriller (seriously, people try to get away with that.) Where the hell are they going to shelve that in a bookstore? Same thing with you; you don't want to call it a narrative non-fiction YA, just call it YA.

Just my $.02 :)

Maprilynne

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Maprilynne said:
I took a look at the link to your book and what you have here is academic YA fiction. It is still not non-fiction any more than greek mythology is considered non-fiction. You seem to be much more educated about folklore than I am, but an agent is not going to classify things quite the same way as the dewy decimal system. An agent will consider this YA fiction--with an academic bent, obviously--but it is still a book of stories more than a textbook about the folklore (or at least that's how it appears to me.)

Thank you. This has been very useful, and it will certainly help me search better. Of course, a professional folklorist would start foaming at the mouth if they heard you call Greek mythology fiction, but what matters in terms of my problem is how agents will view me in practical terms.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
I've been thinking about this some more, and even though the question is now answered in regard to my own personal situation, it still hasn't been answered in general terms, and I think some writers here might want the full answer so that they know what to do in their own searches.

So, to reiterate, is it okay to send queries to agents who include two or more genres which your book spans? For example, is it okay to send a fantasy western to an agent who lists both fantasy novels and westerns? Or is it okay to query about your nonfiction history tome to an agent who takes both historical novels and adult nonfiction, but has no specific mention of nonfiction history in particular? Is it okay to query an agent about your same-sex romance novel if that agent lists LGBT under nonfiction and lists romance under fiction?

What is the usual procedure for genre-spanning books?

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I have that dilemma coming up with my next WIP that's just about ready to be shopped. I'm planning to "pick a type" and query a few agents who take that "type" and see what kind of response I get. If I hear from more than one of them that the work is not, say, "historical" but instead fits into "literary", then I will probably change my next set of queries to adapt that way and see how that goes for a few.

I do think that if a query/book hits at least part of what an agent carries, AND said agent is excited by the premise/writing, then the agent will figure out what genre to put the book into.

Maprilynne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
The issue with Genre blurring is . . . dont! Seriously, Anna Genoese (editor at Tor) had a big rant on this the other day. Pick ONE genre.
Let's use your example. Fantasy Western. Pick one. Is the plot more based on the fantastical elements, or the western setting? (I know, it was hypothetical.)
If I wanted to genre blur, my book is a romantic fantasy with elements of YA. ( A young character who becomes an adult throughout the course of the book.) No way in Hades I would pitch it that way though. It's fantasy. If I want to get specific, it's high fantasy. Agents want ONE genre whenever possible.
So, again, the answer is, don't.:)

Here's a little quote from Anna's post in case you don't have time to read the whole thing.
"Here's the story: I say to Waldenbooks, "This book doesn't have a genre." Walden says, "So what are we supposed to do with it?" I say, "I dunno." Walden says, "How about we just skip this title and buy twice as many of that romance novel?" I say, "All right." Then your book nets, oh, 6,000 mass market copies, and you don't ever sell another book again. The end."

Maprilynne

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
If your book blurs genres, you need to figure out which genre is dominant. I think that in this case, the fact that the book is YA probably trumps everything else. Remember that many YA imprints don't make the kinds of rigid genre distinctions that are the norm for adult fiction--fantasy, mystery, and nonfiction are published right alongside mainstream fiction. Try to find an agent who specializes in YA, preferably one who has sold some YA nonfiction.

- Victoria

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
victoriastrauss said:
If your book blurs genres, you need to figure out which genre is dominant. I think that in this case, the fact that the book is YA probably trumps everything else. Remember that many YA imprints don't make the kinds of rigid genre distinctions that are the norm for adult fiction--fantasy, mystery, and nonfiction are published right alongside mainstream fiction. Try to find an agent who specializes in YA, preferably one who has sold some YA nonfiction.

- Victoria

Thanks. I've been looking more deeply into the situation, and I'm seeing a bunch of agents who only list YA fiction, but who have also sold some YA nonfiction. When I'm ready to query, it looks like I'll have a long list to gradually work through (I'm going to give the book one last overhaul before letting a professional look at it - I expect to begin querying agents in 3 to 6 months).