Do you write what's HOT or in your HEART?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecalabre

Just a question for all to ponder.

I was wondering when you decide to take on a new project, do you...

Try and write something that's hot right now in genre, tone, characters, etc...

Or...

Do you come up with an idea and go with it without any regard to marketability?

Me 1st.

I usually come up with an inspired idea and I look it up to see what other films (if any) have been done before. If not, or I think mine says something new or different, I go ahead and write it.

I do, however, pay attention to what producers are looking for these days.

So, If I am writing something that I originally thought of for a male lead and find out that strong female leads are much sought after these days ( and I don't think it compromises my original story), I make he a she.

Ivonia

I usually just go with what interests me, since what's currently hot may not be my strong point (sci-fi/fantasy stuff). Granted, it's pretty narrow, but at least I can focus on writing good stuff in it rather than something weak in another genre I don't care about even if it's the hottest thing today (and it may not be "hot" tomorrow).

If anything, I want to write something so good that it'll stand the test of time, one that people will still want to watch after like 50 years or so. Or if nothing else, at least one so good that others will try to imitate it (I've yet to see anything that really rivals Star Wars or Star Trek, although lately their new stuff haven't been terribly good either).

abguess

"Always write from your heart". A very wise director once told me that. I've always done it, and hopefully always will. Makes things easier, the process is more enjoyable, and you will believe in it.

dchapma123

Well, you never know what's going to be hot next month or next year or however long it takes to get the script into the hands of someone looking to hop on the bandwagon. So I figure it's better to write what I'm interested in.

On the other hand, maybe writing something I didn't care about much would be EASIER, because I wouldn't worry so much about ruining it.

Nah. Honestly, I just try to write the kinds of movies I'd want to see. I don't really think about what the trends are.

kojled

calabrese

neither. i write what i know and only if it's commercial

zilla

teresa20

I write what I can write the best. whether it hot or not certain things I'm better at writing and a little bit of what I like.
but I don't worry about If it's the perfect script. so much because what's the perfect script now is not later on in years.

kevacho

:thumbs

Always go with your heart, and of course, your mind. Remember that everything is cyclical, and if you are (for instance) absorbed and passionate about horror, or predominately a Fantasy writer. Write horror… write fantasy… write whatever it is that gets your blood fired and your heart pumping. Just because it is not "hot", and or, "hip" to write, let's say, science fiction this year, doesn't mean science fiction won't be hip and hot next year.

Honestly, I am, by nature, a selfish writer. I write for me and me alone, and hope that someone somewhere might garner some modicum of enjoyment out of my work. This, to me, is not an arrogant or elitist stance, but something much more practical. If I am not interested in what I'm writing, how do I expect my reader to be interested? Zeal and devotion will always shine through as long as you're honest to both yourself and your readers, regardless of the genre or subject matter.

The only way I could ever foresee writing something I am not compelled on some visceral level to write is if I were lucky enough to be paid.

"Write to Live. Live to Write." ;)

"Sweet, dark, elixir of life..." :coffee

Kevin
www.kevacho.com

maestrowork

Well, unless you're writing on assignment, you really don't know what will be "hot" -- it takes months, if not years for a movie to be made and released.

"Follow your heart and instinct" of what a good story is is your best bet. When Star Wars came out, nobody even knew what a "space opera" was. I remember someone told me that when he first read the script of "Indiana Jones" he thought it was a joke -- a Wonder Woman on steroid type of show. But if you have a good story, you have a good story.

Audience all want a good story, well told.

Status
Not open for further replies.