Are there different standard rejections?

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
I was just wondering if publishers (and agents) had a couple of different standard rejection letters?

I've thought this in the past, but yesterday received a rejection from a publisher for a childrens story. I've also had a rejection from them in the past.

This one is the standard, Unfortunately, leading to, good luck, but in the middle it says 'if you have any other material do send it in.'

I'm nearly positive it didn't say this in the first one, but maybe I missed it or maybe they've just changed their rejection letters.

Anyway, just thought I'd ask if some publishers and agents had 'standard' rejections and 'encouraging' rejections?

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
There are different types of rejections. I've had those that ask to see other work and some that don't.

I think you should feel good when they ask to see more of your writing. It is not a 'standard' rejection.

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
It completely depends on the editor/publisher/magazine/etc. Some places have different tiers of rejection letters. Realms of Fantasy is a magazine which is famous for its "Blue Form of Death" and "Yellow Form of Promise," so named for the color paper they use.

Other places just have one standard.

If the letter asks to see more, I'd take that as a good sign. But Rejectomancy is an imprecise art at best...

Kristen King

Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkthinker.blogspot.com
It really does vary from pub to pub, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that many have more than one standard. I've seen letters with a checklist of reasons a submission might be rejected so the editorial assistant can check the appropriate ones (I think those are tacky, but hey, that's just one opinion). I bet other folks just have individual letters based on the circumstances. Personally, I wouldn't want to encourage everyone I reject to submit again. Sometimes you can just tell that it's simply not a good fit at all.

kk

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
I actually wish I'd got the first rejection I had from them just to compare but I must have thrown it.

I did wonder before this though, if some (not all), did have different types of rejection letters.

I was actually deciding whether to bother submitting to this publisher again (confidence issue) so it's nice to get the encouragement to do so.

I've never had a checklist one yet. Hmm, wonder how I'll feel on the day one of those arrive:D

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Dolly,
You have to remember that publishers aren't rejecting YOU; they are rejecting this particular work. So of course you should submit to them with other manuscripts; you should never cross a publisher completely off your submissions list (if they accept unagented work, that is) unless you receive a letter that specifically says, "Ick. Please never, ever send me anything you, Dollywagon, ever write EVER AGAIN!" Otherwise, you're good to go.

It is definitely, positively, and unequivocally NOT personal when publishers reject authors. Please remember that.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
I don't take it personally, honest I don't. But I do go through phases, as I'm sure most of us do, when the confidence level drops. This happens most usually when I've submitted something that I think is good for that particular publisher, and I start to think, "If I submit again will they get sick of me?"

Daft, I know, but I do get a lot of encouragement from things like handwritten notes or this particular standard rejection.

I haven't had one that's said "Never, ever darken our in-tray again," but I suppose I will one day:D