Flashbacks and Unhappy Endings

Status
Not open for further replies.

FJ and G

Several books I've read have cautioned about overusing flashbacks, or improperly using them, and unhappy endings.

Well, a movie I watched over the weekend, Ladder 49, starring John Travolta and another guy, whose name slips me, used both, to good effect, though I must admit I had hoped for a happier ending and heard more than a few snivels in handkerchiefs as I was exiting the theater.

Still, though, I'm still not really a fan of flashbacks and unhappy endings. Apparently, however, the film was audience tested and presumably was tested against several endings, including happy ones.

maestrowork

I tend to not like flashbacks, unless they work seamlessly into the story and keep me enthralled. Case in point, I find the flashbacks in the Grudge annoying and the storytelling, because of them, clumsy. The transitions from current time and flashback are very good, but the flashbacks weaken the storytelling.

As for unhappy ending -- I accept them. No one says you have to come out of the theater feeling happy. But there has to be a payoff. It must be satisfying, even if everyone dies, without that "what's the point of this" dread.

On the flip side, happy endings that are sapping and serve no purpose than to make you feel warm and fuzzy bother me as well. I hate sugar. There must be a balance to bring in a happy ending without patronizing or manipulation. I must admit, it's not easy to do.

dchapma123

Have you seen "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", F? That's a film where the use of flashbacks is downright essential. I don't think the story could be told without them. I'm not one of these purists who think flashbacks are necessarily evil, but I don't like them when they're used out of screenwriter laziness -- that is, as an exposition mechanism and nothing else. "Eternal Sunshine" is a great example of the opposite.

As for happy endings, I read a draft of that script with a decidedly unhappy ending. It rendered the whole story bleak and pointless. The ending that was used in the film -- while not exactly "happy" -- is much more meaningful, and left me feeling fulfilled. I got something OUT OF the movie, which wouldn't have happened with the original ending. You can probably find the script online somewhere if you want to compare (I don't know what # draft it is though).

Bottom line is character growth. If the ending is happy, it has to be because the protagonist EARNED it. If it falls into his lap, we'll be pissed.

maestrowork

Eternal Sunshine is great. And boy, can Charlie Kaufman write.

I'm curious about the "original" ending now. The theatrical ending is fitting and "satisfying" without being sappy.

Writing Again

I think every "Never" should carry a mental tag saying, "unless there is no other way," and every "Always," should carry one saying "unless there is a better way."

I'm a screenwriter in training: I think it is only fitting I obey all the Never's if I possibly can. Once I know what I'm doing then I'll be the judge of just how absolute "Never" really is.

kevacho

Well said "Writing Fanatic"! :thumbs

Think of all the movies that use flashbacks effectively. The first one that comes to mind is "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon". That flashback came out of nowhere and was almost a half hour long... and yet, it worked. Think of Memento. That would not have been half the movie if it weren't for the flashbacks. There are many examples of effective use of flashbacks that are integral to the stories they are telling. Do what feels right, and then see where it takes you from there.

As far as "unhappy endings" are concerned... I adore tragedies. Two of my most favorite films in the past few years have been tragedies... Brave Heart and Gladiator. Granted, it has always appeared that Americans are not as comfortable with a good tragedy as they are the "Rocky" ending (albeit, even the first Rocky wasn't necessarily a happy ending, the fight ended in a draw). Once again, do what feels right. If a tragedy is what your gut is telling you to do, listen to your gut.

Just because it's sad, doesn't mean you can't sell it, nor does it mean that it won't be one of the most popular movies of all time.

kevin
www.kevacho.com

"Sweet, dark, elixir of life" :coffee

"Write to live. Live to write." ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.