Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
As I understand it, a mock review is one of the items you are supposed to put in your book publicity kit that gets sent to reviewers. It's always labeled as a mock review, not a real one, and it is written by yourself, but as if an imaginary reviewer liked your book. It's one way of quickly and simply listing all your book's good points.

The one thing I keep hearing about mock reviews is that they increase the chance that your book will be reviewed, and furthermore reviewed favorably, because there are a number of overburdened and not entirely honest reviewers out there who will skip reading the book, and will instead write a review based on the mock review.

In your experience, is this true? Or is it just a myth?

I've included a mock review with some of the review copies I sent out, but I never saw a close resemblance between the mock review and the actual review. However, I did get one review that sounded as if the reviewer had not read the book, and furthermore sounded like the review was paraphrasing my press release.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
:Wha: I've actually never heard of such a thing. I tend to send my books to already-established reviewers who know how to write reviews for my type of books. I would think (although I could be wrong) that "hinting" at the sort of review you'd LIKE to receive through a mock review would be somewhat insulting to the reviewer. It would be like sending some of the actual reviews from other companies to them. It could easily be construed that you're trying to influence the reviewer.

Authors don't get to influence whether the reviewer likes or dislikes the book. It's always a crapshoot when you ask for a review. We had a dozen reviewers adore our first book, and just as many hate it. :Shrug:

But I'll be interested in what others here have to say.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Cathy C said:
:Wha: I've actually never heard of such a thing. I tend to send my books to already-established reviewers who know how to write reviews for my type of books. I would think (although I could be wrong) that "hinting" at the sort of review you'd LIKE to receive through a mock review would be somewhat insulting to the reviewer.

This was one of the things I was wondering about. Mock reviews always seemed kind of cheesy to me, which is one reason I stopped including them.

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
By mock review are you referring to the one-page synopsis that most publishers or authors send to reviewers with the copy of the book? If not, I’ve never heard of this term.

I write book reviews and I agree with Cathy that hinting at the sort of review you’d like to receive would be insulting. It’s also insulting, and in poor taste, for an author to send links to previous “good” reviews and then pester the reviewer every week to find out when the review will be completed. Another hint: If you happen to get a bad review, don’t argue points with the reviewer. ;)

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
jdkiggins said:
By mock review are you referring to the one-page synopsis that most publishers or authors send to reviewers with the copy of the book?

Nope. I've always heard them called "mock reviews." And I've always heard them described as different from the synopsis (although, I couldn't see that they would perform any better than a synopsis, except in the rare case of a reviewer too lazy to read the book).

I know I've read about "mock reviews" in at least one book, but I can't think of which book it is! It's been a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.