Excuses for Failing Nano

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
I think that is a pretty good reason! Nano is a fun thing to do if you have the time, but the realities of life come first every time.

Next year, when you are more rich and famous and lying around your mansion wondering what to do in november.. there will be Nano!

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I have to work on a day that Serenity and I usually have free to dedicate to writing. That is our 7-9k word day. Alas, not this week. We'll hit the 50k goal no problem, but that 100k mark is so far in the distance now...

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I thought the thread title was "Excuses for Finding Nemo."

I tried Nano last year. I didn't make it either, probably because my story sucked.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
LloydBrown said:
I need to prepare mine now, because I haven't worked on it in two weeks.

::Ahem:: I got a book contract and felt that earning an income is a higher priority.

How about you?
Yeah, can't really see that as a failure. You may not have written 50,000 words in 30 days, but I think your accomplishment is one we all can envy ;)

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LloydBrown said:
::Ahem:: I got a book contract and felt that earning an income is a higher priority.

Congratulations! That's the best excuse you could have.

I don't need an excuse (yet), because I have every intention of crossing that 50,000 mark by November 30, no matter how far behind I am at the moment.

smiley10000

What do we do? We write...
Registered
Reaction score
eldragon said:
I thought the thread title was "Excuses for Finding Nemo."

dory.jpg

Hey Mr Grump Gills
You know what you gotta do when life gets you down?
Just keep writing
Just keep writing
Just keep writing writing writing
What do we do we write, write, write
OH HO HO How I love to write
When you WAAAAAANNTTT to write you want to write

No excuses, just BIC!
:Guitar:10000

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
eldragon said:
I tried Nano last year. I didn't make it either, probably because my story sucked.

Pam, thats your internal editor talking.. You need to drag it down into the muck and mire and strangle it with its own intestines, or at least until it begs for mercy. The whole point of nano is to stretch and write, even if you consider it total cr*p. The exercise of simply getting the words done has been amazing for some. You still have time, don't despair!!

Gee, should I put on my cheerleader outfit now?

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I have alot of bad stories taking up space in my hard drive. I usually stop at about 8000 words.

I think I have 3 stories that I quit on at that point.

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
8000 words is pretty common. Thats about the spot where a loosely defined plot starts having troubles. The internal editor shuts down the project, declaring that it is unsalvagable. The excitement goes out of it in a rush and it heads for the dustbin.

Last year I hit the same wall, somewhere around 8000 words I had run out of plot. I had an ending, to be used faroff in the distance and that was it. I decided to write a generic scene, just to get some words down. It sucked and was a complete throwaway scene because it didn't do anything for the story. Then I finished it and did another. Pretty soon I was at 20,000 - still had no idea what to write and no plot, nothing but a string of memorableless (is that a word?) scenes. Sounds depressing I know, but then about 25,000 words I began to see a glimmer and by 30,000 I had an idea how to get to my ending and some explanation of why all those scenes fit in. The light really does go on, if you give yourself a chance.

8000 is not that far behind, you can make it up. I suggest going for a long walk, think of a few scenes and what you want to write just for tomorrow. Tell your "this is cr*p" editor to take a hike and put words down. Even if you only reach 20,000 words by the end of Nov, you're still that much farther along your career as a writer!

Take a look at my nano blog, you'll see I have no idea what I am writing, it changes as I write. The key thing is to not get depressed and quit.

rah, rah, sis, boom, bah!
sorry for the syrupy sweet post.. just expressing my inner cheerleader.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
8000... hmm, funny, I hit 9000 when I lost steam for the story I was working on b4 NaNo.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For me, it's usually in the 20K area that I stall out. Which is, ahem, where I've stalled now. I think if I can get past 35K, I'll be okay.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
20ish K is where I really picked up, but it was all thanks to akelsey, who challenged me for that particular weekend to write 8K. I passed the halfway mark & didn't even notice until I was around 27K & thinking that I was going to try to make 30K by the end of that particular challenge. I did drag a little the day b4, which would have been right there at 20K, but it was a Friday, & I'm always bad on Friday.

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
My excuse is . . .

. . . that I lost several days to packing my belongings and moving into my condo.

But I've got a four day weekend, so I still have a chance to get my word count back up. So we'll see.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can do it, Shay! Don't give up. Moving can be so traumatic.

But writing can be theraputic! :)

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It ain't over till it's over !

Never give up, never surrender!!

Mark Butler cheers better than me, but come on everyone . . . there's still a whole 8 days left not counting today.

Lloyd - you're excused, and Congratulations :)

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MidnightMuse said:
Mark Butler cheers better than me, but come on everyone . . . there's still a whole 8 days left not counting today.

Eek! Only 8 more days?! Where'd the month go?

Okay ... I can still make it ... I only need to do, let's see, um ... 3,358.125 words per day. I can do that. I'm sure I can do that. Especially with the long weekend stretching ahead. I won't surrender yet.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
AH, 8 MORE DAYS!!! Just 2,320 words a day. How'd I get behind?

Oh yes, I remember, because of how tired I am. Yesterday I was so sleepy that I couldn't write, and this is the truth.

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
Scribhneoir - you can, you can! And I offer this incentive, I have a minor background character.. a bit odd, definately touched in the head, who is slaughtered within one page of being introduced. I will name him Scribhneoir in your honor if you can hit the big 50k in time!

You guys can do it, an average of 2-3k per day is not unworkable. Just don't give up, think of the sense of real satisfaction to achieve what you set out to do, what you promised yourself you would do. Use these days off and make it happen!

My deathly minor characters need you guys!

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
My life is unravelling around me and the slivers are crumbling to ash as I try to restore them.

Does that count?