Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I wake up this morning, and Sean (Sean D Schaffer) is gone?? He's a nice guy here so I am confused. Is he on a self-banning or what?

Me just being nosey. If it's none of my business, just tell me to go away.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hi there. :)

Hang on, got a message for you from Sean.

--
Hello, everyone.

I have decided to un-register my username SeanDSchaffer because I want to separate my real name from my professional name. I have decided upon a new pen-name, and should probably within the next couple days--I thought it would take me much longer than it did to come up with it--and re-registering under this new name.

I won't be telling you here what this new name is, but I promise, you will probably recognize my writing style if not the fact that I still intend to use a dragon avatar when I return to AW.

I hope everyone is doing well, and I should be back shortly. I wish you all a good weekend, and I look forward to joining you all again very soon on the boards.

Sean

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Oh thank goodness. I thought it might be a reaction to the tone of a silly response I made to him in the alphabet game. I don't feel guilty anymore.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
No, it was only a professional decision...

Christine N. said:
Oh, ok. Thanks. I'm glad it's nothing serious :)

Naw, Christine, it's nothing serious. I just decided that professionally, changing to a pen name would be a better way to go about posting on the 'Net overall. I have yet to go over to Mindsight or Writers.net to do the same thing as I've done here, but I will, probably within the next couple days.

I did not expect I would be back so quickly. I told Mac I would be two months or more, so for that I apologize. But I figured out my new pen-name extremely quickly, taking maybe an hour to figure it out instead of the couple months I had expected it to take. In a way, I'm kind of ticked off, because I am always a man of my word.

But how does one neglect a site like AW for any length of time?

I hope I didn't make you all angry with me; I just wanted to separate my real name from my pen-name. I didn't know how else to go about it.

I'm just glad I wasn't gone more than a few hours. I love AW too much to just walk away for a tormenting two months.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
*phew* Glad you didn't stay gone long :)

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Ian D. Mecantie said:
I hope I didn't make you all angry with me; I just wanted to separate my real name from my pen-name. I didn't know how else to go about it.

It's a relatively safe procedure, and many authors who take this route enjoy a productive and fulfilling life afterwards. There is, however, around 17% or so who end up walking around in circles mumbling things like, "He's still out there somewhere!", and, "He must have written this, because I don't remember doing it!"

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
this thread brings up a good point :

mac/jenna do you guys want this board to show up on google or was that unintentional?

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ian (it's going to take a while to get used to calling you that), you and I don't interact much, just by happenstance, but I noticed your absence and wondered, too, when and whether you'd be back, if someone had been cruel or scary, and what the deal was. At the same time, of course, I knew it was none of my damned business, but still--when would he be back?

Maryn, relieved to know it was practically 'momentarily'

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Glad to see you're not gone for good, Ian. But I'm going to ask a stupid question: couldn't Mac just change your username for you, without deleting the old account? Or are you trying to completely separate "Ian" from "Sean"?

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
chaostitan said:
Glad to see you're not gone for good, Ian. But I'm going to ask a stupid question: couldn't Mac just change your username for you, without deleting the old account? Or are you trying to completely separate "Ian" from "Sean"?
:roll: That's exactly what he was trying to do until now.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
chaostitan said:

I could have had Mac just change my username, but I realized that if people read other people's posts that quoted my old posts, they would be more apt to put two and two together and realize who I was. I am, in fact, trying to separate completely, like you said, 'Ian' from 'Sean'. The idea is that I want to write my posts using my newly-decided-upon pseudonym. This way I can hopefully separate my private life from my professional life. It's a decision I've been wanting to make for years; it's just that I have only now finally made the decision.

Besides, I never really knew what my pseudonym was going to be, before this morning. Because of this, I had no name to transfer to at an earlier, possibly more convenient, time.

And a quick aside to Maryn:

Nobody was cruel to me or anything like that. My decision was purely a professional one. Some recent events might have made me think harder about this idea, but I've been thinking about it for a very long time.

Thank you kindly, everyone, for your concern. I never thought, honestly, that my disappearance from the boards, even if it was only for a few hours, would cause such concern for me. I'm sorry if I scared anyone.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Ian D. Mecantie said:
Thank you kindly, everyone, for your concern. I never thought, honestly, that my disappearance from the boards, even if it was only for a few hours, would cause such concern for me. I'm sorry if I scared anyone.

It's totally selfish Se...Ian, because we need your kindness and optimism here to make us whole. :)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whew. No one is allowed to leave. We finally got Celia and Haskins back. I'm going to be on roving patrol and if I catch any of yous trying to sneak out, well....let's just say it could get messy. :)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Can someone unregister dclary so I can reregister as "BillyThrilly's California Twin and Goofy Guy Who Gets in Trouble Sometimes But Has a Heart of Gold so Mac Puts Up With Him?"

No one will know it's me.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You scared me for a second there... Ian. I'll try to get used to calling you that, though it's hard. Glad you didn't get mad and run off in a huff.

And please please please, never scare me like that ever again. :D

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a matter of fact, I already have a pen name in mind just in case I have to use one. It's a name I've used before when I didn't want to put my real name. I do want to publish stories and books under my own name (this is my real name), so the pen name will be a last resort option. It would probably just confuse you more to publish my stuff under a different name.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Soccer Mom said:
Whew. No one is allowed to leave. We finally got Celia and Haskins back. I'm going to be on roving patrol and if I catch any of yous trying to sneak out, well....let's just say it could get messy. :)

I'll make it out yet. Just watch me. Bwhahahahahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.