Kudos to Bill O'Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Really. Not for being Bill O'Reilly, God knows, but for running a discussion with a media consultant tonight on the new Sony Playstation phenomenon. People got shot in New Jersey or Connecticut (I forget which) in line at a Wal-Mart waiting for this thing to be released. I (like O'Reilly) am completely mystified at what drives people to camp out in line for hours, days even, in miserable weather, for a chance to buy a new game machine. The thing retails for about $500; it's being sold in e-bay for $3000. What life-deprived moron is so desperate for this thing that he (and it's almost certainly a he) will pay seven or eight times the retail price just to be among the first to get one?

A couple of weeks ago, the new Tickle-Me Elmo Extreme doll was released, and similar things happened. I heard an interview with a guy who'd camped out all night to buy one (retail $40) just so he could re-sell it on e-bay for $80. Do the math; what's his hourly take?

What is wrong with these people?

caw

WDS

Registered
Reaction score
It was Connecticut where the shootings happened. It is quite insane for sure, and I can't stand the people buying them just to resell on Ebay. What is more insane is that people are willing to pay over $2000 for a system that just came out when they could pay 600 in a month. As for the camping out part, I would probably do that if I was interested in getting something like this, not so much for getting the system on launch day, but for the fun of it.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
This was the topic of discussion on the Paul Sullivan Show on WBZ radio tonight (which I can only get at night as I'm several states away). I wish I'd caught the beginning of the show because it was interesting. Besides, sometimes the people on that station remind me of my father's voice. :D

The host had a great point about how taxpayers were forced to pay expenses as a result of people getting in a panic about buying a gadget (because police had to be called in, etc.). People were discussing who was most to blame for the shooting, fights, expense, etc.... The people who wait in line for a freakin' video game machine? Sony for creating yet another shortage of a hotly anticipated gadget? The stores that allow hundreds of people to stand in line for days, only to reveal that they don't have enough units to go around?

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
blacbird said:
What life-deprived moron is so desperate for this thing that he (and it's almost certainly a he) will pay seven or eight times the retail price just to be among the first to get one?

This guy.

Reaction score
:roll:

We're so close to the end.

Human beings.

There isn't much to say about these monsters.

What a shame.

6 billion years of evolution and this is where we are.

If there's a god, there's no moment of more disappointment than when A. moron guys are fighting in a bar because someone bumped into to each other or B. moron humans fighting over merchandise, be it this situation or when idiots trample over each other the Friday morning after Thanksgiving at the Walmart which is opening at 7:00AM with great bargins!!!

"Let's get up at 5:45 AM tomorrow and go over to Walmart and when the doors open at 7:00 AM let's run like morons into the store and trample each other so we can get the 10% discount on products"

YOU WATCH.

Watch the news next Friday.

"In St Louis, ten people were trampled and one person was taken to the hospital at the Target store...."

And they'll have video....

AHHHHH!

I'm drunk!!

Humans, man.

What in god's name is going on.

Thank you.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Too Much Free Time

Bird of Prey said:
Now you understand why certain Islamic factions are so afraid of western values.

I don't blame 'em a bit for that.

Sheesh, people - Get A Life!

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I can kind of see camping out at the theatre to see a new movie. Its a sort of bonding experience, but we won't get into what I think of the intellectual capacity of someone who'd actually do this.

But waiting in line for a week so that you can be the first to have something?

Mein gott... that's idiotic.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I went to best buy today, and I sh*t you not... sitting in front of the store, waiting for tomorrow, was the biggest loser you ever saw, dressed up as Mario, waiting for a new Wii.

And it wasn't even me.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
WDS said:
As for the camping out part, I would probably do that if I was interested in getting something like this, not so much for getting the system on launch day, but for the fun of it.

Yeah, me too. It can be fun. I wouldn't do it for a game system, but I'd do it for concert tickets. Of course...those sell out and you can't get them anymore, but...anyway, I was reading Electronic Gaming Monthly, and this guy wrote a letter saying how he went there to wait in line FOR FUN, and these ebay guys were really taking all the fun out of it. I see his point. When you camp out for tickets, you bond with a bunch of people who love the band as much as you do. Scalpers are always boring. This guy was surrounded by ebay sellers, instead of excited gamers. One guy got in line just to sell his place in line for $300.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Bird of Prey said:
Is it? I have no idea what it is.

It's this Elmo (of Sesame Street) doll which, when you poke it, is programmed to gyrate and issue this almost endless cacaphony of maniacal laughter. That's all it does. It's straight out of a "Chucky" movie. Imagine sitting your 18-month-old on the floor with this thing, and see how soon it turns you into a mass murderer.

It's the second generation of this thing. The first one, a couple of years ago, only giggled a little. Obviously not good enough. I can't wait till next year, when we get the "Tickle Me Till My Bladder Explodes Elmo".

caw

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Yeah, it scared me that this generation's furbys were anatomically correct. :|

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Question - how does one get blood out of a PS3 controller?

Hypothetically.

Tilly

Registered
Reaction score
dclary said:
Yeah, it scared me that this generation's furbys were anatomically correct. :|

Does that mean they can breed?!

Status
Not open for further replies.