Not open for further replies.

VictoriaE

Writer, Environmentalist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
victoria-e.com
Hi everyone :)

Though my primary skill is writing articles, I also do some proofreading. So far, I've done smaller things like proofing press releases and posters for friends, but I have the possibility of a healthy-sized job with a new craft publication. My question is: what do I charge? I've been searching all over the internet and have found a number of different ideas. It seems the most basic choice is to choose between charging per word, per page, or per hour.

What has your experience been in the proofreading sector?

jpserra

Recovering Gumshoe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnserra.com
I've seen it from 1 to 3 dollars per page in my area. I'm in the Twin Cities. I can't tell you what other areas demand.

John Serra

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My understanding is that where I live (Great Lakes region) it costs right about the same as typing/keyboarding a submission copy--but goes much faster.

I've done it for $2 a page, but that was some time ago, and neither of us knew what the going rate was. We just agreed it seemed fair.

Maryn, curious, too, now that you mention it

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, good, so long as I proofread the maximum number of pages per hour at the lowest rate, I didn't undervalue my services. Whew!

Maryn, glad to have this information

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
I have a small proof reading job for this lady I met online. English isn't her first language, so when she needs to send e-mails to her co-workers, she IM's them to me to look over, fix up and return to her. She pays $0.50/e-mail (which are very short, normally 3-4 sentences). For longer things she'll pay more. So I make a bit of extra money each month. I'm also happy to be able to help her out, she tells me how her co-workers respond to her differently now. I guess proper grammar and spelling really do make a huge difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.