Bomb found at my daughters school

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
I have to keep myself from going and picking her up. Everything was handled right, but oh my god. I'm freaking a bit. One of the students brought an explosive to school! I was fine, glued to my phone, until I got the call about why they were locked down. They found the explosive and arrested the kid, so everything worked right.
Lock downs happen so often now that it didn't really phase me when I got the first call. Worried, but not stressed. It seems stupid to stress on it now. I figure if I write this I can work it out and not go pick her up. It's my daughter dammit. Not to mention all the other kids and teachers. What the hell was this kid thinking?

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
thanks for the hug. :)

She's not out of school for another 2 hours. So, I'm just going to wait by the phone and see if they want to send the kids home early. They don't want to send the kids home. Said that they would like the kids to stay in a normal routine. I can see that. I really want to grab my keys though.

Last edited:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
gosh omighty.

(huggsdammit)
You are a model of restraint. How old is your daughter?

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
Tammy, I'm so sorry. I'm glad you're daughter is alright. My mom works in a middle school, and it's scary what some of today's kids do.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Take a deep breath then take three more.
A kid brought a pipebomb to my daughter's middle school last year. Because they don't use metal detectors, teachers didn't notice it until he pulled it out to show off. (Expelled)

He claimed he was just doing it to see if it could be done. Because his father had blown up a locker with a pipe bomb 25 yrs prior and it had been a 'big joke'.

It doesn't matter. It is scary. 20 yrs ago or today the bomb could have taken off a hand, or worse.

School gets locked down. Kids get lectured and we hope no one pulls that particular stunt again.

The best you can do is hug your daughter hard. Tell her why you are scared. Talk to her about it and make sure she knows what to do if she sees someone with a pipebomb, gun, knife, or something they shouldn't have. And talk to the school and other parents.

Some parents see their kids playing with stuff like that and they remember doing it themselves and figure it is harmless. Until the rest of us confront them..(No Bubba. It wasn't funny when you set off a pipe bomb in the boys bathroom and it is a lot less funny when you teach your son to do it.)

HUGS Dahmnait

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
She's twelve. My worst nightmare is supposed to be about boys, not this. God, I feel so stupid for freaking out and posting, but your posts and hugs are helping. Thank you.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you kidding me?

I would be SO bringing her home. And permanently. If that's not your thing, that's cool.

But how can a mom NOT freak out?

Oh, it was just a little bomb. Not very much explosive charge; you know, not a WMD or anything. Just big enough to knock down a wall or two. tsk.

:eek:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Yet a normal routine is probably what is best for her. You're entitled to freak out though. I'd probably be heading over to the kid's house with a baseball bat. I'm just glad they found it and everyone is okay.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Good Lord why would you feel stupid??? I'd have freaked out to the nth degree! HUGS HUGS HUGS to you and your daughter!

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, when you put it that way, I don't feel so stupid. I know I'm freaking out for a reason, it was just the posting. I needed to do something though, or I would have been in the car. I'm trying real hard to respect the school's wishes since I know that the situation has been handled.

That private school I was looking at is looking better and better. There are another two schools near hers that have been dealing with people, grown men, accosting and robbing the kids as they walk home. And she wonders why she doesn't walk home.

The scary part. I live in a good area.

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, it is now in the news. The good thing, one of the student's turned him in. It sounds like the situation you were talking about Jaycinth. He brought it to school and showed it off. He didn't make it properly either, so it wouldn't have exploded. Not that that makes it any easier, since that kind of information is only known after the fact.

My daughter and I are going to have a long talk this afternoon. After I give her the biggest hug and tell her how much I love her!

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
I feel for you!

I would have had just as hard a time NOT picking her up!

Its what mom's naturally want to do!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Tammy, there are no "good" areas anymore. I don't mean for that to sound paranoid, but I hear of unbelievable things everywhere. Not just bad neighborhoods. Money, no money and everything in beween, there will be people with no sense everywhere.

What I really mean is that there is no real innocence anymore. The town where I grew up was once a quiet, beautiful little community in West Virginia. The kind you'd see in an old movie with clean streets, neat little soda fountains (Seriously. In the 80's we still had soda fountians!) and mom & pop gas stations. Mayberry. Picture-perfect. Now it is filled wtih drugs. Just last week the nephew of a guy who has been friends with my parents for years took a gun into a pharmacy, took hostages and demanded drugs. When he got them, he became disoriented enough that the men in the building were able to subdue him.

It's a scary world. I think the best thing to do is teach our kids how to survive living in this age rather than shelter them from it. Easy words coming from a mom who DIDN'T get that call today. I would probably have freaked out right along with you!

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
:Hug2: Carole's right, unfortunately. And don't ever apologize for freaking out about stuff like this when it's your flesh and blood you're worried about... and definitely don't feel bad about sharing your fears with your friends. It doesn't matter that it wasn't a working bomb... and it doesn't matter that your friends are spread out all over the globe.:Hug2:

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Holy Sh!t. What a nightmare. I usually fall victim to "what-ifs" so just hearing this will lighten my head on my pillow tonight. Hugs to you and your child, Tammy.

Last edited:

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I would be freaking out, too. My daughter is only three, and I'm already scared to death about sending her to school. Big hugs to you and your daughter.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am sorry our children have to be subjected to this. Wish we could protect them everywhere they go. Schools used to be so safe.
Sorry sweetie, hugs to you and your daughter...take her out for her favorite dessert, do some serious talking later, kimmi

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Eeeek, Tammy! I'm glad it all turned out well. I hope the little thug responsible is punished to the full extent of the law. All kids have a right to be safe in their school.:Hug2:

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I just thought to call my parents. Since it was posted as the top story on the local news channel's website, I bet it is in the news tonight. I didn't want them hearing that on the t.v.

I'm counting minutes here. This has been the longest two hours of my life. 1 hour and 16 minutes to go. I appreciate you guys being here.

I guess, when I think about it later, I can use my responses in my writing. Right now I am just useless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.