Showing scripts (protection)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FJ and G

I'm perhaps a few weeks away from finishing my 1st draft of my 1st screenplay and when completed would like to email it to some friends to edit and comment on (and I also plan to take it to a local screenwriter's meet).

Is it sufficient enough to simply place my script in the mail and upon receiving it--without opening it of course--showing my script, or, must further safeguards be installed? (I don't want it stolen)

Thanks again for your assistance.

cleoauthor

To be absolutely sure, you might want to register your script with the Writers Guild of America. You can do the whole thing on-line. It's $10 to register if you're a member; $20 if you're not. Their URL is www.wga.org

maestrowork

I think it's $20. But yes, registering it with WGA will give you another layer of proof. It won't protect you from would-be theft, but at least you can prove your authorship.

FJ and G

Thanks. Follow on question.

I mentioned that it is just my first (or possibly second) draft.

Can I register the draft and then later register the final?

MrJayVee

Screenplay registration...

Unless you plan to send it out to people (producers, agents, script analysts, etc.), there is no reason to get your script registered at WGA. Do a few drafts, get it solid (i.e. readable), then go ahead and protect yourself with registration and/or copyright. If you do a substantial rewrite somewhere down the line, re-register it.

And no, mailing the script to yourself affords no protection, so don't even bother.

FJ and G

Re: Screenplay registration...

Mr. Jay,

Confused. You say no need to register it; then say register it w/WGA.

MrJayVee

Clarification...

Unless you're sending out a first draft (which is usually a really big mistake), there's no need for registration. When the script is in solid form, and when you decide to start sending the script around to prodcos, agents, etc., go ahead and register it.

Feel free to contact me directly at [email protected]

NikeeGoddess

Re: Clarification...

most people are so anxious to send out their scripts. never send it out until you have non-biased people who understand scriptwriting tell you that you're ready. so.....

no need to register your script until it's ready to show around. if you register your first draft and then rewrite it 5 or 6 times then your last draft will be so far removed from your first that you'll probably want to reregister. so the first registration is practically dead.

btw - copyrighting with the library of congress is $30 and lasts for 75 years past your death - so it's quite a bargain.

write on!

and don't put the cart before the horse

maestrowork

Yes, why such a hurry to send out a first draft? Why not polish it (3rd, 4th, even 10th draft) before you send it out to betas? If you really must "show" something what you've got so far, choose someone you can ABSOLUTELY trust.

That said, you can also register treatments with WGA, even though you can't copyright an "idea."

NikeeGoddess

in fact, i still cringe at the knowledge that i let people read a first draft many years ago. when i go back and read it... :ack :smack :eek: what was i thinking????!!!!!!!!

i still have trouble showing my stuff b/c writing is rewriting and i'm always rewrite something soon after i give it out :smack imo - the script is never done until it's SOLD!

write on!

writerscut

We all realize after the thrill wears of that the first draft is mediocre...it's just the thrill of finishing!

scryptreader

if any of you are interested, i have some experience and read for free (as long as you are not getting paid to write)...

you can contact me at:

[email protected]

take care

JustinoIV

If you have a script that you've written and registered with either the LOC or WGA, there is no need to reregister the script just because you've totally rewritten it. Save all your drafts and notes. That will show the progression from the first to the final draft.

Remember that from the moment you create your work, it is under copyright protection. Most people would recommend registration. However, there is no reason to register ever draft.

joecalabre

I agree with Justino that you don't have to register each draft.
Unless your later drafts are so different in plot and character that it could be considered a different story, once is fine.

Ultimately though, you should register a draft with a US copyright before going into any deal, option, etc... This is the ultimate protection for you and gives the longest terms at a reasonable cost. The only negative thing about it (which is why other forms of registering have come about) is the time. It takes weeks to get your registration completed. Not good if you want to shop your script out in a timely manner.

The other advantage of doing a copyright over (or in addition to) others. Only a US Copyright can be used as proof of authorship if you end up in Federal court. WGA and other forms are not recognized in this circumstance. If someone steals your work, it would be a federal court case.

That's my two cents. I would seek the advice of an attorney if you really want to know the legalities of protecting your work.

Good luck and keep writing.

FJ and G

Joe,

You mention a U.S. Copyright. Is the LOC such an agency, since it is "U.S."?

JustinoIV

"The only negative thing about it (which is why other forms of registering have come about) is the time. It takes weeks to get your registration completed. Not good if you want to shop your script out in a timely manner."

The LOC website says that the scripts are considered registered from the moment the LOC receives them. It may take them months to process your script though. But that's okay. Generally, producers and agents do not ask if your script is registered at all, and said information is never written anywhere on the script.

joecalabre

Justino,
Your right, but if you go to federal court and show the copyright notice you got from LOC, it would have the date processed on it, not the date they recieved it.

The good news is within a two years, the LOC will accept files online with instant notification. At least that's their plan.

JustinoIV

"Your right, but if you go to federal court and show the copyright notice you got from LOC, it would have the date processed on it, not the date they recieved it."

So you can UPS or FEDEX the script off to the LOC. That why you have signature as proof of the date they recieved it. And LOC registration is still effective from that date.

"The good news is within a two years, the LOC will accept files online with instant notification. At least that's their plan."

Great. That would knock off WGA registration nearly instantly, since I think the only reason people register with the WGA now is because it's online.

But either way, your script is still under protection from the instant you create it. There's no need to worry about theft. Most writers should worry more about getting anyone to even look at their work.

joecalabre

"Great. That would knock off WGA registration nearly instantly, since I think the only reason people register with the WGA now is because it's online."

I think another main reason is so the writer can get that letter with the reg number in thier hot little hands asap. Paper proof has a certain warm fuzzy feeling that trusting the goverment in representing you properly just doesnt have.

People like instant gratification and the WGA fills that need.

SimonSays

Re: Clarification

The chances of having your script ripped of are very small.

Copyrighting or registering your script will not prevent someone from ripping you off, they provide legal protections AFTER the fact.

So the most important thing is to make sure that those you are showing your script to are reputable.

JustinoIV

Well, scripts go through so many hands when they are sent in to prodcos, studios, agencies, etc.

People in the business who are con artists are generally just interested taking money fron naive writers.

So overall, yes, the chances of being ripped off are very small.

Your chances of winning a lawsuit for these matters is very small, unless somebody blatantly plagarized your script word for word.

So basically, just focus on writing your screenplays and selling your work. Since many would be writers can not even get people to read their work, the idea of theft should be the least of your work.

Allegations of theft are part of the reason why people do not like to read scripts unless the screenwriter is known to them, either professionally or personally.

joecalabre

The chances of getting AIDS is comparatively small too, but we still use condoms when we sleep with people we don't know all to well.

My philosophy... Prepare yourself for the worst but always hope for the best.

You may never need that peice of paper that proves you wrote it, but it's good to know you have it, just in case.

JustinoIV

"You may never need that peice of paper that proves you wrote it, but it's good to know you have it, just in case."

I don't think (at least I hope not) that anyone would recommend that someone not register a script. I was just saying writers should not put excessive energy into worrying about theft.

And even if your script was not registered, I see no real reason why they couldn't just take apart your computer and scan your hard drive for proof. (of course, registration is still recommended)

Status
Not open for further replies.