Coroner's report in psych records?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudiB

Scribe extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
in Lake Erie; maybe in SF Bay when they get it cle
You've probably read some of my legal questions. Now, much to my amazement, a death that was assumed to be a suicide is being questioned, at least to the treatment facility he was attending. Would/could a counselor or psychologist attain the coroner's report for the records? Deceased not a minor.

Thanks - this truly was a plot twist I did not plan but came up out of a line of questionning and it makes tons of sense. Whether I'll go this way or not I don't know.

JudiB :Shrug:

jamesfelliott

Coroner's Report

That would very much depend on the laws of your country/state. Here in California, we have "consent to release information" laws that must be signed by the individual (or, in this case, next of kin) to release such information if it hasn't been released publicly.

I'd have to ask why the counselor/psychologist would want to see the coroner's report, and what background they have that leads them to believe they can question the coroner's findings. Are they a psychiatrist (meaning a medical doctor)? Do they have a background in forensics or pathology? The treatment notes (which would be available to someone in the same facility or via the release of info) might be far more valuable for gaining insights into the deceased's mental state. The coroner's inquest will simply detail the injuries and condition of the decedent's health at the time of death. All other information (medical, psychopharmacological, therapeutic) should already be available if s/he has access to the decedent's file.

JudiB

Scribe extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
in Lake Erie; maybe in SF Bay when they get it cle
Hi James - I see you're in the field. This suicide is being questioned by the supervisor of the deceased's counselor. After questionning the counselor about the case as well as the counselor's interaction with the deceased, the super found no indications of suicide. So she asked the counselor, "Are you sure this was a suicide?"
I realize that some commit suicide with no warning signs. I'm not sure which way this situation will resolve itself, yet!.
Judi

flannelberry

Registered
Reaction score
You couldn't in this province - sometimes the coroner will let you know the findings (especially in this small community). If you had to testify at the inquest (which I have) you hear a lot but you don't get a copy just because you were the therapist, case manager or whatever. It's not even a given that it goes on the hospital records (if they were an inpatient). Especially if the coroner works out of a different hospital.

I hope this helps.

JudiB said:
You've probably read some of my legal questions. Now, much to my amazement, a death that was assumed to be a suicide is being questioned, at least to the treatment facility he was attending. Would/could a counselor or psychologist attain the coroner's report for the records? Deceased not a minor.

Thanks - this truly was a plot twist I did not plan but came up out of a line of questionning and it makes tons of sense. Whether I'll go this way or not I don't know.

JudiB :Shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.