Are you multi-functional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Do you practice other arts than writing? Are you a graphic artist, painter, sculptor? Fiber artist, conceptual artist, performance artist?

I know there are lots of AWers involved in other arts - tell us what you do?

For myself - I design handknitted clothing and other, um, objects. Usually this is just craft, but occasionally I do something conceptual enough to call it art. Here's a link to some of my work: http://www.maggiesrags.com/mrdesigns.html

What do you do?

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you open this up beyond the arts, you'll get a much better feel for the wide variety of talented people who populate AbsoluteWriteVille.

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
NeuroFizz said:
If you open this up beyond the arts, you'll get a much better feel for the wide variety of talented people who populate AbsoluteWriteVille.

Jeez - not fair that the first post is a criticism, especially considering that I hardly ever get up the nerve to start a thread.

The fact is that I wanted to know about other writers who also create things with their hands. I assume, like all threads here, it will go off-topic. And I can start threads on other areas in the future.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I sew, I paint, I draw, I'm teaching myself beading. I cook. I play a little bass and sing (I was in a band in the early 80's).
I garden, and I can do drywall and tile.

I can also drink like a fish, embarass sailors and my children alike, and shoot rubberbands.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Over the years I have dabbled in sketching and illustration, jewelry making, candlemaking, sewing, and ceramic painting (which I still do at Christmas....crap! Gotta get started...).

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I play drums, knit, and cook. I used to sew and draw, but I was never that good at either one. I'm also really good at math, which I find a bit strange.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
K1P1 said:
Jeez - not fair that the first post is a criticism, especially considering that I hardly ever get up the nerve to start a thread.

The fact is that I wanted to know about other writers who also create things with their hands. I assume, like all threads here, it will go off-topic. And I can start threads on other areas in the future.

I don't think NeuroFizz meant any criticism at all, it was a friendly suggestion.

As for me, having worked at the JFK Space Center for almost 45 years, I developed a lot of diversity of talent. More than I care to list.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
i have no other artistic abilities. My brothers both received the artistic gene(whether painting, drawing or sculpture - get it from my dad's side) my sister received the other family art gene (crocheting, knitting, quilting and just all around fabulous domestic goddess - gets it from my mother's side who is also incredibly talented with each of these).
None of us play instruments or sing all that well.
I just write.

oh, my mom is a fabulous cook (loves to entertain), I have the desire, but not the time to devote to it, though I do have some well-regarded specialties (namely homemade ravioli and meatballs).
I also have a knack for photography but do not pursue it as much as I do the writing.

Last edited:

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
I try to draw.

gulliver_mouse_victorious.jpg

And I sing in a choir. That's about it.

Oh, and I've sneezed and broke wind at the same time. Does that count?

::sound effect: crickets::

OK, uh, I'll . . . I'll be . . . going now.

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
I draw, I knit, I do soft scuplture, I paint, and I used to make Mardi Gras masks. I'm kind of a dilletante. ;-)

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I had a business as graphic artist until this past halloween, gave it up to concentrate on writing; I craft like a wildwoman: soap, candles, pressed flowers, anything to do with essential oils, developed a line of salves to help a variety of skin disorders. I sing when the mood strikes me and can give birth in under 20 minutes.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
Pomegranate said:
I draw, I knit, I do soft scuplture, I paint, and I used to make Mardi Gras masks. I'm kind of a dilletante. ;-)

I'd love to see your sculpture and Mardi Gras masks. A cousin of mine is a sculptor, using fabrics, etc. Here's a link to her work: http://www.ilaseltzer.com/

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
wyntermoon said:
I had a business as graphic artist until this past halloween, gave it up to concentrate on writing; I craft like a wildwoman: soap, candles, pressed flowers, anything to do with essential oils, developed a line of salves to help a variety of skin disorders. I sing when the mood strikes me and can give birth in under 20 minutes.

Wow - you're a busy woman. How big a sample of babies did you have to have to get down to 20 minutes? Is that a minimum or an average?
:)

MizzACEE

VERY Proud AUNTIE to be!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I used to draw portraits back in high school, but havent recently. I can play the piano.

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
JoeEkaitis said:
I try to draw.

And I sing in a choir. That's about it.

Oh, and I've sneezed and broke wind at the same time. Does that count?

::sound effect: crickets::

OK, uh, I'll . . . I'll be . . . going now.

Definitely can draw.
And the rest is, uh, multi-talented, alright. :D

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
chaostitan said:
Over the years I have dabbled in sketching and illustration, jewelry making, candlemaking, sewing, and ceramic painting (which I still do at Christmas....crap! Gotta get started...).

What sort of jewelry making? Wire? Cast? Hammered/smithed? I used to date a silversmith. I confess, I didn't give back all the jewelry when we broke up.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I withdraw my friendly amendment. Carry on with the arts.

Sorry if you took it as a criticism, Maggie. I thought you might be interested in the overall population of AW, not a subset. My mistake. I'll fade.

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
NeuroFizz said:
I withdraw my friendly amendment. Carry on with the arts.

Sorry if you took it as a criticism, Maggie. I thought you might be interested in the overall population of AW, not a subset. My mistake. I'll fade.

Not a problem - just a little disheartening as a first response. Perhaps you can start a thread on everything that everyone here does besides writing. It'll probably eclipse the HOL in posts :)

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
K1P1 said:
Wow - you're a busy woman. How big a sample of babies did you have to have to get down to 20 minutes? Is that a minimum or an average?
:)

LOL, well two were 20 minutes the rest took about an hour/1.5 hours each. I have small-ish babies, they pop right out. I should adjust my average to 45 minutes?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
K1P1 said:
The fact is that I wanted to know about other writers who also create things with their hands.

i strangle goldfish with my bare hands. it probably doesn't qualify as "creating things" per se, though it does produce some cute little bubbles.

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
i strangle goldfish with my bare hands. it probably doesn't qualify as "creating things" per se, though it does produce some cute little bubbles.

Good thing I'm actually a cat in disguise. But then, I hate to think what you do to cats...

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I do lots of crafts. Every year I do new ornaments for our Christmas tree... which I need to be getting started on. I've been on a wreath-making kick, too.

I do scrapbooks, which is perfect for me - I love the writing, the photography (another hobby of mine) and the crafting. Of course I haven't had TIME to work on my albums of late...

I do a little sewing. Very little.

I've done some tole painting, painting ceramics, stuff like that. Nothing that's "artsy".

I love doing stuff with my hands, seeing something that I've turned from raw materials into something pretty. :)

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
I like to put sparkles on avatars :)

Actually I'm learning about HTML, CSS and dabble with graphics programs and animation.

I love crochet, beading, weaving and even tried my hand at tatting lace.

I used to be very active in music and drama - I'm letting my daughter carry on that tradition and she dances, too. I never had the coordination for that.

I am also trying scrapbooking - but not finding the time so far. I hope to learn watercolor painting in the oriental style some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.