Jeff Shaara's latest

BrianTubbs

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of historical novelist Jeff Shaara. I've read and thoroughly enjoyed all his books. His best were, I think, Gone for Soldiers (Mexican War) and his two-part look at the American Revolution (Rise to Rebellion and Glorious Cause). However, ALL of them have been excellent!

I've just picked up his latest, The Rising Tide, and I'm salivating to start reading it.

Would be interested in comments you all have about Shaara, especially if you've started reading (or even finished reading) his latest, The Rising Tide.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
I was supposed to meet Michael Shaara during a Civil War Institute program held at Gettysburg several upon several more years ago. Sadly, the author passed away prior to the event, but that 8th grade year was my introduction to 'The Killer Angels'. It was a brilliantly written book, combining just the right amount of historical fact with fiction.

The son has done an admirable job of following in his father's footsteps, but didn't quite capture the same spark for me. I've read "Gods and Generals" and "The Last Full Measure", but nothing else besides those.

(I know this is about reading, but check out the movie "Gettysburg", it was incredibly done with first rate actors. It's just really long.)

If you like the reading about the Civil War, they are good reads. I honestly don't know about his other, or latest, works.

BrianTubbs

Registered
Reaction score
Comparing the father and son

Michael Shaara's The Killer Angels is more literature, whereas Jeff's books are more pop fiction. They are faster-paced, but not as deep. There's much more depth and nuance in his father's work.

Of course, Michael Shaara focused on one battle. Jeff's books span several years, so the styles are different from the outset.

BrianTubbs

Registered
Reaction score
Shaara's latest

I'm now about 3/4 of the way through Jeff Shaara's latest, The Rising Tide. I would say that it's not as good as some of his previous works. There's a lot of narrative in it - so much so that it reads like a history book as much as a novel. But....I am enjoying it.