Need valium quick. Son is making first road trip alone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I knew it would come. I never thought it would come so quickly. Today, my older son is making his first road trip alone. It's a 6 hour drive. He's going to his dad's in West Virginia to pick up his brother. They're coming back Sunday.

Can I just say that I am TOTALLY scared to death?

He's made this trip with me a hundred times. Last time, he was in his car following me. I wrote out directions. I bought him an Atlas and marked the route. We had new tires put on his car last night. And I am still scared to death.

He drives everywhere around here. He's a pretty good driver. He's 19. And I'm scared to death.

I've explained to him about when and where to stop, and when and where NOT to stop. What the safe zone is for letting his fuel get low. (Never under 1/4 tank). I've explained to him what to do if he makes a stop but ends up back on the interstate going south instead of north. And still I am scared to death.

I've explained to him that when (not if) the truck drivers get aggressive and try to run over him, move over and let them pass. His cell phone is charged. He has a blanket in the trunk of his car just because, just in case. I've given him $50 extra dollars just in case he needs it.

And still....I really need a valium.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're such a mom, Carole. In the best way. I hope you ruffled his hair on the way out too. :D ("Aw, Mom!", as you know, is just secret code for "Thanks - I love you too".)

You did great; he's going to do great. I'm kind of glad I have, oh, thirteen years or so before my daughter's first road trip. Don't have a valium; pop some champagne! This guy comes from a very good home; he'll do well.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a standard roadside assistance cellphone number to call if your car breaks down? I've never had to do that so I don't really know.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Rob. I really needed to hear that. I come by it honest, I guess. My mom has a black-belt in worrying.

I just know that 10 minues after he's gone (He's still in the shower) I'll remember a million things I forgot to tell him.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Carole, 911 from your cell picks up the State Police post where you are. He'll be fine! Just tell him to call in every once and awile, hugs, kimmi

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks.

Anyone have a paper bag handy? I think I am either gonna be sick or else I'm going to hyperventilate!

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
We had new tires put on his car last night
You've got him making a 6 hour drive on new tires? You're Kidding?!

I am kidding. I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. (I'm going straight to hell)

He'll be fine. the worst thing that could possibly happen is break down. And these days when you're never more than 2 miles from a Kwik-Fit (Or the USA Equivalent), so that's easily fixed.
I know you'll worry no matter what, that's what makes you such a good mum.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
Carol, Carol... you're looking at this the wrong way! Think of it not like his first trip away, but the fact that you have the house to yourself for the weekend without a teenager around! (Unless you have other children...)

:Hug2: You sound like a good person, I'm sure you've raised a good person. Take a deep breath and let him fly. Well, 'fly' figuratively, I'm sure West Virginia cops like to give speeding tickets/warnings just like every other state cop...:D

Repeat after me:

He... (come on, you say it) Will... (yes, keep going) Be... (almost there) Fine.

By the way? My mom was exactly the same the first time I drove home from the beach to western Pennsylvania myself. I stopped for lunch, called her, got home and called her again. She still makes me check in whenever I go somewhere (and I don't even live at home anymore!)

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
When I was his age, he was a teeny tiny baby. I had already been married over a year. I drove all over the place (His dad was in the Navy) and I remember thinking my mom was crazy for worrying.

I just left him at the gas station. I bought him some washer fluid. It leaked out all over the parking lot. Niiiice. That explains why he's never had washer fluid! I checked his antifreeze and oil, and those were fine. He promised to call as soon as he got onto the interstate so I'll know he made it there ok.

Hooooo-boy. I'm a mess. I think I'll call my mom. She'll give me a million things more to worry about!!

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good job, Carole. Now, let him spread his wings. I bet he'll surprise you with his intuition and his clear thinking.

[Tongue goes in cheek] If you hook a monofilament line to the name-tag you sewed inside his shirt, no one will be able to see it, and a little yank will get his attention.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Wel, I should have known not to call my mom. As soon as I told her he was driving to his dad's house she said, "Oh, Lord! He can't do that! You need to get in your car and chase him down and go with him!"

I really need a valium.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Whew. Ok. He just called from the interstate. He made it there ok. I was worried that he would miss it. I know, silly worry. He HAD to tell me that he had to do 80 to make good time. *fans herself and looks for smelling salts* I reminded him that he didn't need to make good time because even if he goes the speed limit (imagine that) he will arrive at his dad's before his brother gets out of school.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs. I know the feeling....I know the feeling. I still worry when he drives from home to school (2 miles)
Heck, I sneak into the bedroom and check up on him, occasionally.

Hmmm Carole...sometimes valium just isn't enough.
***passes the bottle of chablis***

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes, my daughter starts driving Nov 27. I think I'll buy a tracker and put it on and I think you can buy a little thingamagiggy that hooks to the speedomoter or maybe the gas pedal that won't allow going past a certain speed. Kids driving always makes me think of that show Tony Danza starred in (long time ago)and had a daughter. On her sweet 16 he got her a huge clunker and somehow fastened tires all around it to make her safe! Enjoy the rest of your weekend Carole, you earned it! kimmi

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Don't worry. If the meth doesn't keep him awake on the long trip, the hookers will.

Even if he gets lost, it's not like he's going into West Virginia or some other black hole stuck in the Neolithic Age. Wait--where is he going?

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
You know, we just talked about that last night. The fact that he and his brother DO tell me everything. I was pouting about how he doesn't treat me like I treat my mother and most people my age treat their parents. He came back with, "But you are more of a friend than a mom".

GASP!!!! Bad Bad Bad mom!!

But he quickly understood what he said and added, "Mom, I don't mean that you aren't a good parent. What I mean is that you have taught me that no matter what "it" is, I can tell you and you won't disown me. You're a good mom. Really. ....um...mom?"

Oh, I don't know. I'll feel a LOT better once he calls from his dad's driveway. Then again, I will have a whole new lot of things to worry about. Visiting his dad is never a good thing and it never goes well.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
LloydBrown said:
Don't worry. If the meth doesn't keep him awake on the long trip, the hookers will.

Even if he gets lost, it's not like he's going into West Virginia or some other black hole stuck in the Neolithic Age. Wait--where is he going?
:roll:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Well, he's over halfway there! He has called a couple of times and seems to be doing just fine.

I may survive this yet!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
He made it. He called from his dad's driveway a whie ago. Whew.

I may be calling on you for moral support again soon. He'll be returning with his brother on Sunday. ;)

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
Carole said:
You know, we just talked about that last night. The fact that he and his brother DO tell me everything. I was pouting about how he doesn't treat me like I treat my mother and most people my age treat their parents. He came back with, "But you are more of a friend than a mom".

GASP!!!! Bad Bad Bad mom!!

But he quickly understood what he said and added, "Mom, I don't mean that you aren't a good parent. What I mean is that you have taught me that no matter what "it" is, I can tell you and you won't disown me. You're a good mom. Really. ....um...mom?"
You have raised a fine young man. :) I'm glad to hear he made it ok.

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
Carole, your boy's lucky to have you...it's great you two are so close! Have him call every couple hours to ease your mind. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.