Online Screenwriting Course - Insightful and Comprehensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcqueso

Dear Future *Professional* Screenwriters,

Are you looking for a *new* career?

Do you want to get involved in the *movie* business?

Well - this may be the *opportunity* you have been looking for.

--------- Six-Week Online Screenwriting Course:

Enroll today for the-most insightful and comprehensive screenwriting course available!

Simply to go:

quesoproductions.com/onli...ourse.html

and you may be 'knocking on Hollywood's door' in Year 2005!

--------- Important Notes:

I will only be accepting fifty (50) screenwriting students per six-week session - in order to provide each aspiring (professional) screenwriter with the utmost attention they deserve.

The *deadline* to enroll for this course is: December 1, 2004

However - once fifty (50) students are enrolled - this six-week session will be *closed*.

fyi: As of today (Monday, November 8, 2004) - 22 students have already enrolled.

Once you enroll - you will receive your *first* lesson plan within 24 hours.

So - enroll *now* - and 'avoid the rush at closing'!

---------

"If you never try, you will never know the outcome..." - an expression that my father instilled in me when I was a young boy - and, a creed that I have lived by all-my-life.

So - if you think you 'have what it takes' to become a successful, professional screenwriter - then, here is your chance.

---------

Meanwhile - I hope this message finds you well!

Film and Write On,

Michael Carr
Director: Telluride and Key West IndieFests
Executive Producer: Queso Productions

tellurideindiefest.com

keywestindiefest.com

quesoproductions.com

Showcasing the best *independent* films and screenplays in the world - high in the mountains, and by the sea!

Hamboogul

Re: Online Screenwriting Course - Insightful and Comprehensi

Wow, only $375 for a six-week online course that limits enrollment to 50 people.

So that's like... $20,000 for you, isn't it?

What film credits do you have on IMDB?
What film credits does Queso have?
What credibility do you have when you operate out of Florida?

Oh, that's right... NONE.

Honestly, UCLA professional and online extension programs offer a 10 week program from working writers and UCLA professors for similar amount of money and the enrollment is around 12. If you want to learn something, I suggest the readers of this thread explore that option instead.

P.S - I tried to click the poster's profile but he's been banned from Global EZboard spamming.

joecalabre

Hell. I'll do it for half that price.

SEND ME the MONEY!!!!

SimonSays

Re: Online Screenwriting Course

I'd also recommend John Truby's online course. It's more expensive than Mr. Carr's - but Truby is a noted expert in this field. I took his class in the past and found it extremely helpful. The intinerary for the online course appears to be the same as his live classes.

There's nothing wrong with spending money to learn the craft - the key is to make sure it's money well spent.

I'm not sure taking Mr. Carr's class is money well spent. Other than running some film festivals, I'm not sure what his credentials or qualifications are.

joecalabre

The best course, I found (my film degree only went so far) was to learn from example.

JoBlo's, Scriptpimp and Drew's Scriptorama are great "free" ways to read shooting scripts of produced movie. Reading along while watching the film was a valuable way of seeing how to write what is ultimately shown on screen.

Keep in mind that shooting scripts are different in formatting than specs, but that's another subject.

As for McKee and other teachers (including online stuff). If you have the cash to burn, then go for it, you may learn something.

However, I am poor and would rather pay the mortgage.

That's my two cents. (an opinion based on my personal experiences.)

SimonSays

Joe -

You went to film school - which I'm sure, among other things, gave you a solid foundation in the basics of story telling, plot structure and character development.

Reading scripts is great to see HOW it's done - it does not necessarily show you WHAT is being done. And unless you have a solid grasp of the what it takes to tell a story - then reading scripts is not enough.

Spending a couple hundred bucks on a class is not "burning cash" if you choose the right class - it is money well spent to learn the craft.

You said in another post that it takes 10 scripts to get to the point where you are good enough to sell a script - not necessarily - especially not if you learn the craft. I got an agent and option deal and writer for hire work off of my very first feature spec. Why? Because I had taken the time to learn the craft.

The "i am poor and would rather pay my mortgage" viewpoint is very common. But reading scripts does not teach you how to write a script. And if you are serious about a career - sometimes it takes more than just desire. It often takes investing a little time and money in educating yourself.

I realize that some people are "hobbyists" although to be honest I cannot for the life of me fathom why anyone would choose writing screenplays as a hobby. Screenplays are blueprints for a film, unless the film is made - then the vision cannot be a fully realized.

I think you are doing people a disservice by saying that reading scripts is enough. Learning the craft whether through reading books about screenwriting or taking classes is invaluable and in most cases absolutely necessary.

kojled

is it really $375? ouch. that's something of a slap in the face. and, the text - very 'used car'. is that an example of their ability to write? it is exciting, though! i mean, all those exclamation points! they really drive home the point!!

why not get a copy of 'story' for $37.50 and take six weeks to study it instead? i think there's only a few copies left, though. so, go get yours and avoid the rush at closing!!!!! hurry! you (may) have what it takes

zilla

joecalabre

Simon, you can be so literal...

I hope you don't think I recommend that people just read scripts. They should read some good books too. Take a course if they can afford to.

I said I found the best way (for me) was learning from example. I find that a vast majority of those online classes and even McKee to be a waste of money. They give people false hope and unrealistic expectations. They are more about making money than passing on wisdom.

I can recommend a handful of books that will give more practical info than all of those classes combined.

You said, "I got an agent and option deal and writer for hire work off of my very first feature spec. "

You're one of the few, the proud, the lucky. I have been writing for 20 years and am only now just getting decent work. (Two options, two work for hires and a manager-- all within the last year.) Most writers in the biz will tell you it takes 10 scripts or more.

I congratulate you on being lucky the first time out. I'm sure you're writing is top notch, but the reality is that it takes a while for the vast majority of us.

SimonSays

Joe - wasn't meaning to be literal, guess I was just using what you said to make a point. Guess I failed to do that based on Koj's "ouch!"

THE POINT: Just because someone charges money - does not mean that they are trying to scam and/or rip off writers. The fact is that $375 or even $575 is a reasonable fee for a good screenwriting class. I'm not saying that Carr's class is good - I also found his site to be "used car dealer-ish" and I found his course outline to be somewhat lacking in substance.

But there are good classes out there and many of those classes are more than Carr's. And it is not unreasonable to spend that kind of money if it's a good class or workshop.

Same goes for paying a good story editor to evaluate your script. I'm not saying that everyone needs to do it. I'm just saying that just because someone charges for those services - does not mean they are ripping off writers. There are some really good ones out there. And they have every right to charge for their services. There are also alot of bad ones out there - so you have to do your homework.

I think you give people unrealistic expectations if you lead them to believe that they can sit down, write a script and succeed if you don't take the time to learn the basics of building a story. For some reading books may be enough. For others an interactive environment where you can get feedback on your work as you go can be far more helpful.

joecalabre

And all I was trying to say is not all classes should be considered good-- buyer beware.

A lot of them, like the one posted here, are scams (or at the least garbage). You would be better served from a book if given the choice between the course listed above or my alternatives.

If you look at my website www.renderville.com, I charge for coverage and analysis. I also teach screenwriting, so I know all too well the bad rep many decent advisors get.

NikeeGoddess

the real problem here is that McCheese hasn't come back to defend himself or his class. i know that it's difficult when people spit on you but, that's gonna happen online where there's no repercussions for your actions so..... McCheese, what say you?

Status
Not open for further replies.