Are treatments really necessary? Say it ain't so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FJ and G

After completing a monumental screenplay, and doing my 10th rewrite on it, I'm faced with the immortal words of Skip Press who advises to write a 20 to 30 page treatment of the screenplay because tired-assed producers and directors don't want to read your entire screenplay.

Is this really necessary?!

joecalabre

Every script is part of a package. In it, you should have...

A logline.
A short half page synopsis or Hallway Pitch.
A 3-4 page synopsis.
A 1 page query letter.

A longer treatment, I think, is only neccesary if you are still working on the script and don't want to send out a work in progress to a producer/agent/manager.

Most industry pros, however, will either ask you for the script or a synopsis based on your query, but many more will just want your short pitch before deciding to read the script.

With respect to treatments, my manager recommends that for every completed script I have done, I should have several treatments to show as backup. When interest in a treatment pops up, then write the script.

A fact remains, that more scripts are sold each year based on pitches and treatments rather than spec scripts, especially by known writers.

At least that has been my understanding and experience.

dchapma123

A treatment is not a synopsis. It's your complete script, in theory, in narrative form. If I were a producer, I'd much rather read a script than a treatment.

If you've already written the script, I don't see why there's any need for a treatment. Logline, synopses, etc., yes. But writing a treatment at that stage of the game seems like extra work for no real purpose.

Different producers will have different expectations, but I wouldn't bother with the treatment unless your agent says you need one.

However, I will defer to the authority of anyone who knows better. ;)

dpaterso

Who's Skip Press? I could look him up, but you'd think I would've heard of him by now if he was someone I should be paying attention to over significant issues.

I answered a "script wanted" ad at the weekend with a logline and one-paragraph synopsis, and they wrote back asking for a treatment. This confused me slightly, I thought a treatment was a proposal for a screenplay that hasn't been written yet, an advance synopsis that's subject to change, while an outline is the longer synopsis of a completed screenplay. Shrug, maybe I'm just bandying words. The "treatment" I sent was about 4 single-spaced pages, which seemed enough to cover theme, story, characters and pivotal events. I'd be in real trouble if someone asked me for 20 to 30 pages, that would be like converting the screenplay into a novelette written in present tense, big eek.

-Derek
-----------------------​
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

SimonSays

Re: Are treatments really necessary? Say it ain't so

Dpat-

I don't do treatments - never have. I'd always rather have someone read my script than a treatment of my script because the script is always better than the treatment.

When I've been asked for treatments - I've just said I don't have one and suggested I send the script instead. Very rarely have I been turned down.

Simon -

FJ and G

Re: Re: Are treatments really necessary? Say it ain't so

Derek,

Skip wrote several books incl. the famous (or infamous): Screenwriting for Idiots (I'm the idiot who bought it)

All,

Thx for your informative inputs

JustinoXV

"A logline.
A short half page synopsis or Hallway Pitch.
A 3-4 page synopsis.
A 1 page query letter"

I do have a logline, a query letter, and one page synopsis. I've never been asked for a 3-4 page synopsis, and I don't do treatments (nor have I ever been asked for one.

Well, Simon, if the writer of a screenwriting book actually suggested writing a 20 to 30 page treatment for a script, that goes to show that be very careful of what you read in books.:)

Your best bet, FJ &G, to learn what is and isn't normal is to get industry work, where you can learn from industry professionals directly.

JustinoXV

"With respect to treatments, my manager recommends that for every completed script I have done, I should have several treatments to show as backup. When interest in a treatment pops up, then write the script."

Remember that everyone has his or her agenda. That's from the viewpoint of your manager, who wants you to write the treatment, run it by him, and if they appears to be interest, then write the script.

That doesn't mean that's a good idea for a beginning screenwriter, or even an experienced screenwriter. You may be missing opportunities if you wait for someone's approval to write a screenplay.

dpaterso

Simon, thanks, that's worth remembering. The script ad caught me in a conundrum however, in that I wasn't supposed to reply unless I already had a completed script (it was an InkTip ad and they get prickly about newbies messing production companies around). So the fact I replied means I must have a completed script. So why did they ask me for a treatment (if I've correctly understood what a treatment is, re my definition above, idea for an unwritten script)? Who knows. I'm just saying.

FJ&G, thanks. Though I have a thing against buying any book that says it's for idiots. How did this kind of title ever become a selling tool?

-Derek
-----------------------​
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

joecalabre

"Remember that everyone has his or her agenda. That's from the viewpoint of your manager, who wants you to write the treatment, run it by him, and if they appears to be interest, then write the script."

I usualy have more good ideas than I can write at one time.

Let's say I have three ideas/concepts I like equaly, I run all three by my manager and based on his expertise, he advises me to which are the most marketable and has the greatest potential for a sale.

The other ideas get turned into treatments for later writing projects. It's easier for me and takes less time to write one full script and two treatments at the same time, than three full blown scripts.

One such treatment is currently getting some buzz. It looks like that treatment will be written out fullly into a script in the next few weeks. I'm glad I had that skeleton of the story done already. Having a treatment in place will mean writing a script in weeks, rather than months.

For many writers, I find, quantity of (quality) work is important to succeed. The ability to deliver a finished script in a timely manner is another key atribute. For me, treatments do double duty in that respect.

My manager's sagely advise in these matters are highly valued and appreciated.

Of course, what works for some, may not with others. I give my opinions based on my experiences. It's up to the readers of any of my posts to decide what will work best for him/her.

JustinoXV

"Let's say I have three ideas/concepts I like equaly, I run all three by my manager and based on his expertise, he advises me to which are the most marketable and has the greatest potential for a sale."

I see your point. But his idea of what's marketable by in part be influenced by his contacts and what he personally can sell. Doesn't mean that another rep wouldn't be able to get something your manager doesn't thing is marketable.

The other ideas get turned into treatments for later writing projects. It's easier for me and takes less time to write one full script and two treatments at the same time, than three full blown scripts.

"One such treatment is currently getting some buzz. It looks like that treatment will be written out fullly into a script in the next few weeks. I'm glad I had that skeleton of the story done already. Having a treatment in place will mean writing a script in weeks, rather than months."

Everyone is different . I just start out by writing a one page synopsis.

I'm not criticizing your process, or saying that anything is wrong with it. Merely stating what works for one isn't necessarily what will work for another.

joecalabre

Same thing I said.

Writing Again

I think this is one of those things that depends on where you are at in the chain.

For me as I am, a newbie who still struggles with format, I think I would be better off mastering the art and form of writing the scripts themselves.

If or when I see myself as getting ready for a move to L.A. it might be an excellent idea to have several treatments to go along with my completed screenplays.

Status
Not open for further replies.