dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
It's a "portrait" film project for my advanced film class. Essentially a 5-minute documentary about my daughter, and some of her struggles in merely surviving to almost 18.

It details the death of her birth mother, her being committed to the California State Mental Hospital, being sent to Colorado from there, and her escapades as a prostitute in Hollywood and Boulder.

We flew out to Denver to visit her last weekend (she's going to graduate high school in a month, we hope), and I took the opportunity to film this.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
dclary

Congratulations to you and your family, especially your daughter for finding her way. Often the outcome is not as encouraging when a child is "lost".

I credit you for sharing this most personal part of your life.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I would say it's still a 50-50 shot she makes it to 21. But the odds are dramatically improved from this time 2 years ago.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Nice work, D, and very moving. You've captured in raw fashion the love you hold for your girl, and how her life was lost to you and now clings to your hopes for recovery in a most tenuous manner.

I especially like the way the frame narrows at the end: all the emotions built during the scenes have to squeeze past that tight space to find its way to her future.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
dclary said:
[I would say it's still a 50-50 shot she makes it to 21. But the odds are dramatically improved from this time 2 years ago.]

I 'd say her odds are more. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and Erin. big hug coming your way:Hug2: kimmi

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
wow dclary.

this adds a totally new layer to you.

thanks for sharing.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
dclary,

A moving documentary about real-life struggle; I wish you and your family the best as Erin continues her recovery. :Hug2:

Reaction score
Bravo said:
wow dclary.

this adds a totally new layer to you.

Does he need another layer, Bravo?

Not funny.

David,
Not sure what to say. Very impactful piece. Well done. If I see her in Boulder, what should I do?

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
Does he need another layer, Bravo?

Not funny.

David,
Not sure what to say. Very impactful piece. Well done. If I see her in Boulder, what should I do?

What are you talking about, Billy?

Yes, Bravo, it reveals an entire new facet to the Gem that is Dclary.

Reaction score
Bartholomew said:
What are you talking about, Billy?

For some reason dclary likes to wear thermals and t-shirts and winter jackets and sweatshirts all at the same time and it makes him look bulky.

So, I was mentioning this to Bravo in an inside joke type of way that he doesn't need to add yet another layer.

But I know I can speak for Clary and Bravo when I say they thank you for your support and concern. I apologize for the mix up from my end. With that said....

Yes it does add another non-clothing type layer to David.

Once again,
Well done, sir.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
For some reason dclary likes to wear thermals and t-shirts and winter jackets and sweatshirts all at the same time and it makes him look bulky.

So, I was mentioning this to Bravo in an inside joke type of way that he doesn't need to add yet another layer.

But I know I can speak for Clary and Bravo when I say they thank you for your support and concern. I apologize for the mix up from my end. With that said....

*High-Five*

S'k.

The man-hug has been editted out because Billy has cooties.

Last edited:

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Quite the young woman there. It's good she's landed somewhere soft.

And she's right about Boulder. brrrr

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
limitedtimeauthor said:
When did you adopt her D?

We never did, LTA.

She came to live with us when she was about 6. The county of Los Angeles then fought us tooth and nail for the next 6 years trying to prevent us from adopting her, because we were neither blood, nor in the foster care/adoption system.

When she hit puberty, the genetic problems latent in her system (born meth and a coke-addicted, fetal alcohol syndrome, reactive attachment disorder, etc) hit her square in the brain.

Through a series of circumstances too complicated to explain, she was committed at the California State Mental Hospital.

After plotting to kill her therapist she was... and I italicize this because every time I say it I'm still astounded... KICKED OUT OF THE MENTAL HOSPITAL FOR BEING TOO DAMNED CRAZY.

She went to a group home, immediately ran away and became a prostitute, and then we got her to this school for troubled girls in Colorado almost two years ago. She's made amazing progress since then.

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
dclary said:
She came to live with us when she was about 6...

...we got her to this school for troubled girls in Colorado almost two years ago. She's made amazing progress since then.

So, you've been going through this the entire time... Heart goes out to you and your wife. It's great that she's doing better. Sounds like she's thinking things through, making up her own mind about what she does and doesn't want.

My prayer for you and her is that someday, no one will ever believe she went through all that. It CAN happen. I've seen it. You'll be sitting in front of the fireplace for a family photo, like any other family, smiling and thinking how thankful you are to have all this. At least, that's my mind picture for it. I sure feel for you. I know it can be so hard.

ltd.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I watched it twice, Dave. She does seem to be a smart girl, you did a great job filming her. My heart breaks for what she has gone through.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Wow. Dave, I can't imagine the heartache and pain that all of you have gone through. Excellent piece of filmwork, and incredibly moving.

Thank you for sharing something so personal with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.