Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I'm appearing at Philcon on Saturday. I'm discussing "What are you Reading? (and why)" in the Children's room. To be followed by "What are you Writing? (and how).

What I'd like to do is give the kids a list of "Fantasy Books You Might Have Missed". I've got a good list so far (yes, Joe, Collinsfort Village is on, in the Middle Grade catagory) but I'd like some more input.

I have three subheadings - Middle Grade, Young Adult, and "Oldies, But Goodies".

I want to give them something to look for beyond Harry Potter, LOTR and Eragon. I've got some Tamora Pierce on the list, some Jane Yolen, Hilari Bell, Garth Nix and a few writers I know about by association.

I'd like to have a good long list, so I'm taking suggestions. If you have a book out that's fantasy, by all means give me the title and I'll add it. Hurry, I need to have this done by Friday night!

Oh, and Thank you!

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
I've had some very good reactions from YA readers on my novel Goblin Quest. I'm actually thinking of posting a "YA Reviews" page on my website.

My latest is one of my favorites: 'WANT NEXT BOOK!' --from an 11-year-old reader.

Really, what more could you ask for in a review? :)

Have fun at Philcon!!!

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with YA writing, but one which might be appropriate for "Oldies, But Goodies" is The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle. Wonderful writing.

Also in that category, the Wrinkle In Time books by Madeleine L'Engle (sp?). I remember enjoying those when I was in grade school.

Good luck!

moondance

Registered
Reaction score
I don't write fantasy, but I have read and very much enjoyed both the Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix and the Wind on Fire trilogy by William Nicholson.

Also read but did not enjoy the Doomspell trilogy by Cliff McNish. Think that is aimed at MG.

Read the most fantastic book the other day called Fly By Night - a MG by Frances Hardinge. Don't know if it's out in the US though.

MizzACEE

VERY Proud AUNTIE to be!!!
Registered
Reaction score
My 15 year old really likes the books by Christopher Paolini... like Eldest & Eragon.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Christine N. said:
. . .What I'd like to do is give the kids a list of "Fantasy Books You Might Have Missed". I've got a good list so far (yes, Joe, Collinsfort Village is on, in the Middle Grade catagory) but I'd like some more input. . .
Why, I'm flattered. And humbled. And flattered.

Add to the list Figgs & Phantoms by Ellen Raskin. Nice metaphysical undertones. Might be hard to find so try the library first.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I'd recommend Margaret Peterson Haddix's books, Among the Hidden and its sequels. Excellent futuristic thrillers for young readers.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame. Talking animals; an appearance by Pan, the god of forests . . .if that ain't fantasy, then griffins don't live in Colorado. ;)

The Reluctant Dragon also by Kenneth Grahame. A dragon poet? Hey, it could work! :)

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
The Wizard of Earthsea trilogy by Ursula K. LeGuin. I read it in junior high. Also, from what I've heard, the recent movie made from it by SciFi channel didn't come close to doing it justice (I haven't seen it).

Anne McCaffrey's Harper Hall trilogy is also excellent (Dragonsinger, Dragonsong, and Dragon Drums). It's set in the same universe as the rest of her Pern novels but seems aimed at a younger audience.

Lisa McMann

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lisamcmann.com
Terry Brooks -- the Shannara series. Not quite as highbrow as LOTR. First book came out in 1977.

Terry Brooks -- also has a 5-book series called the Magic Kingdom of Landover

Earthsea Trilogy by LeGuin

The Redwall series by Brian Jacques is an animal-based fantasy...started in the late 80s, I believe.

C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy is a little high-brow for YA, but some may get into it.

The Pern series by Ann MaCaffery (sp?)

The Fairy Rebel by Lynn Reid Banks as well as The Farthest Away Mountain. (LR Banks wrote Indian in the Cupboard) These are more younger - middle grade.

Best luck!

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series, and Alan Garner The Wierdstone of Brisingamen or, my personal favourite, Elidor. This is my favourite because it starts and ends in the area of Manchester which was being knocked down for 'slum clearance', which actually meant putting the people in high rise flats and destroying whole communities. I remember it happening vividly.)

MizzACEE

VERY Proud AUNTIE to be!!!
Registered
Reaction score
What was that old book about the time travelers? I think it was a movie too...? I loved that when I was younger.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New series by John Flanagan, The Ranger's Apprentice. The third book is out in Australia, but not due in the states until next year. Middle Grade. VERY good.

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
The Trumpet of the Swan

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
Oops, didn't see your last post!

Status
Not open for further replies.