Need some reading suggestions--shapeshifting, werethingies, and such.

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
I need to do some reading, movie-watching immersion. My main character gets hit with lycanthropy.

Can anyone suggest really good novels, or movies, or whatever that include were-creatures, or shapeshifters, or related things?

Thanks.

or

Who is your favorite human-turned-beastie and why?

Deleted member 42

Good Word I'm half asleep and in Maine and it's raining -- if you email me I'll do this when I get home, on Monday.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
I'm reading Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series. The last one, Burnt Offerings, I read had a lot of lore and details about lycanthropy. She probably embellished a lot - it's not an area I know much about. But I thought it was very well done.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Oh oh...Carrie Vaughn's "Kitty and the Midnight Hour." She writes a really good werewolf story. Also the second book in the series, "Kitty Goes to Washington."

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't use medieval house paints - they'd be pretty dried out by now.

::psst - I know we all love Medievalist, and all, but there was some really cool stuff written in the Romantic period, too.::

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Have you seen the "Underworld" films? They have an interesting take on Lycans, and the character of Michael has to deal with a sudden case of human-turned-beastie.

Plus Scott Speedman looks good with his shirt off. ;) But that's just why I love the movies....

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
were-beasties

For movies, I can recommend 'Ginger Snaps'.

A cult Canadian-made film that deals with that age-old theme of connecting lycanthropy with menstruation. But it actually does it really well.

Shara

MyFirstMystery

Having Fun with Words
Registered
Reaction score
For pop culture references check out Buffy the Vampire Slayer (episodes with Seth Green in them) - available on Netflix.

I also recommend Anita Blake.

MFM

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Linda Adams said:
Working with the Devil

Witchling

And if you read the Anita Blake series, don't read past Burnt Offerings. She changed genre at that point.

Too late - I'm at Cerulean Sins now - and I know what you mean. More than I ever wanted to know about bondage...sheesh.

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
chaostitan said:
Have you seen the "Underworld" films? They have an interesting take on Lycans, and the character of Michael has to deal with a sudden case of human-turned-beastie.

Plus Scott Speedman looks good with his shirt off. ;) But that's just why I love the movies....

I have to agree... er, about the interesting take on shapeshifters vs. vampires, that is. Okay, and about Speedman, even though I'm not big on the make-up he's wearing by the end of the first movie.

Did you see Van Helsing? Average take on the werewolf stuff, nice special effects, really lousy movie overall, but Hugh Jackman is wearing nothing but a loincloth by the end.

Dawno said:
Too late - I'm at Cerulean Sins now - and I know what you mean. More than I ever wanted to know about bondage...sheesh.
I gave up at Obsidian Butterfly (the one about Edward).

It's like TV; there's always a point in any television series where the writers reinvent the characters so much that they're not really the ones I fell in love with in the first place. It's probably necessary, to keep things fresh, but it means they lose me.

When she moved away from the basic original premise -- staying human in a world of monsters -- she lost me. Not that I thought the initial love triangle was sustainable, but I would have liked at least some resolution beyond "we went our separate ways between books". Maybe the resolution comes later, I don't know.

For non-fiction reading, you might try The Beast Within by Adam Douglas. It's a good overview of the phenomenon of lycanthropy throughout the ages. And despite the lurid cover, it's actually very serious in tone.

Oh, and rent Silver Bullet. C'mon, you know you want to.

I don't think I have a favorite human-turned-beastie, although I'm sure I'll think of one as soon as I hit "submit". I've seen many that I liked, but none that quite qualify for favorite who aren't in my own head. ;)