I cannot think of any characters who should play the parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

FJ and G

As one writer of screenwriting writes, "you should be thinking of which stars might play the parts of your characters."

Well, I can't, and besides, isn't that up to the director/producer?

But, the writer notes, at some point, the producer may ask you point blank, "who do you think might play the part best?"

NikeeGoddess

Re: I cannot think of any characters who should play the par

you spend too much time on screenwriting advice that you cannot use. you must pick and choose what to take it and what to toss aside and what to save for later, etc....

thinking of actors to play your parts is just a "tool" to help guide you with that character's behavior, action, and dialogue. it is not suggesting that you call them up and ask them to be in your movie.

if this tool doesn't work for you then spend some time writing character bio's for all your major and supporting characters. this saves a lot of time in the long run and your character will be consistent throughout the script.

if a producer asks you "who might play this part" then you're already in a position of making a sale. this is where the "save for later" advice comes in handy. it's a choice to use it as a writing tool or a selling tool. and i doubt any producer will turn away if you can't think of an actor to play your parts.

write on!

joecalabre

I never think of an actor, because if I did, then my character's would be stereotypical of other famous characters that actor has played and will not have a life of his/her own.

scripter1

I like

to think of actors who could play the part because it helps me visualize the scenes. To really be able to SEE the movie.
BUT I write the script in such a way that any actor could take the part.

Like others have said, it is a tool. It might work for some but cause problems for others.

kojled

fj/g

you got it backwards. you should be creating characters that top stars would want to portray. thinking 'of stars that might play...your characters' is a waste of time. i mean, how do you do that? sit there thinking of movie stars? idiotic. work your craft - if you're good you'll create a stack of paper people will want to read/produce, etc.

zilla

dchapma123

FJ and G, most of the topics you start can be summed up in a few words: "Do I really have to do ______ ?"

Methinks you're getting so bogged down in "the rules" that you're not getting any writing done. Relax. Write. Focus on telling a good story. The "experts" can't agree on how to do this stuff, so it's futile to think you can obey them all.

If all the advice and instruction is getting in your way, ignore it. You can always go back later and reevaluate what you've written.

yldii

yes

Some producers ask for an actor wish list. The thing is to develop a solid personality first. That is what I do. When I know who my characters are, the actors seem to pop into my head automatically. Don't write around an actor, but once you have a firm grasp of who the characters are, go ahead and cast them in your head to help you visualize them.

.......Yldii.......

Writing Again

FJ and G:

I remember reading that in a book myself. When I did I looked at when it was printed: Yep, sure enough it was "back in the day" when the number of actors and actresses that existed were known to everyone, and were relatively few. Every star worth talking about was known to the world by their first name.

But nowadays actors can be ultra super mega stars and most of the population not even know who they are or have heard of them.

I would suggest you buy books on screenwriting that are more current, and deal with current issues in screenwriting; not books that deal with issues that existed forty years ago: Barring that, then only pay attention to the universals of writing: story, structure, character, plot.

FJ and G

gee guys, with new technology, you can now have Tom Hanks playing all the parts

NikeeGoddess

Tom Hanks is just capitalizing on the success of Eddie Murphy playing multiple parts. It ain't nothing new or technologically advanced.....the animation is thou ;)

dchapma123

You ought to mention Peter Sellers before you mention Eddie Murphy.

Writing Again

Jerry Lewis did it too.

dpaterso

FJ and G, I happen to think that's great advice -- not just from the viewpoint of your having an answer ready if a producer happens to ask you who you imagine playing the roles, but also from the more practical viewpoint of making your script so attractive to those theoretical stars that they won't be able to resist. Don't you have a favorite actor and actress? Of course you do. (If not, then why are you writing screenplays?) Can't you imagine them playing your characters? If the answer's no then maybe your script isn't ready. Until it passes this basic personal readiness test you should keep working on it, improving it, upping characterization and sharpening dialogue until you're positive that your favorite screen icons absolutely would love to play the roles.

-Derek
-----------------------​
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.