CNN's Beck to America's 1st Muslim Congressman...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I can see why Muslims would be offended by this.

BUT...like you said with nicegrrl, isn't it sometimes good to get what a lot of people are thinking out on the table and into a dialogue so that progress can be made?

And fears, even irrational ones, can be alleviated?

That's why politcal correctness harms the country, because people can't come together and say "Hey, this is what I'm thinking" without be labeled a racist.

And if they could and we could engage in an intelligent dialogue things could be solved a lot better than people being afraid to say anything about anything which leads to nothingness.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
I can see why Muslims would be offended by this.

BUT...like you said with nicegrrl, isn't it sometimes good to get what a lot of people are thinking out on the table and into a dialogue so that progress can be made?

And fears, even irrational ones, can be alleviated?

point taken, but what i said at that time doesnt really relate here.

this is such a loaded question, it has no place in public discourse. he's essentially asking him if he's a terrorist w/ any reason whatsoever other than the congressman's religious preference.

after all, as you know some ppl in america have an irrational fear of jews and believe that they are working towards implementing the protocals of zion.

would asking a jewish congressman if he belonged to a secret society that's ruling the world be a legit question?

Reaction score
Bravo said:
point taken, but what i said at that time doesnt really relate here.

this is such a loaded question, it has no place in public discourse. he's essentially asking him if he's a terrorist w/ any reason whatsoever other than the congressman's religious preference.

after all, do you deny that some ppl have irrational fears of jews and believe that they are working towards implementing the protocals of zion? would asking a congressman if they belong in a secret society of elite jews be a legit question?

I added to my last post.

If it's something that is really prevalent in the ether and in this war on terror I'd say it's probably on the minds of a lot of people.

"Hmmmm...we're in a war with Muslim fanatics. We just elected a Muslim. I know it's probably fine, but I won't lie. I've thought about it."

With that said, I understand why a Muslim would be offended by it. And rightfully so, but I think people need to make more of an effort, regardless of their race to understand where and why there might be prejudice against them and instead of flying off the handle, addressing it and facing it and saying "Here's why this" or whatever.

As soon as he says "I love this country etc..." most people watching go..."Okay...I like this guy."

Problem solved a lot better than him going "That's offensive. How dare you?!" Etc...

IMO

Thank you.

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
Had he been born a muslim, then I would think it biased to even report his religion, but this guy is a convert, which really says something.

To me muslim is less of an issue than the strong and deliberate affiliation with the nation of Islam. The nation of Islam is about as extreme as timothy Mcveigh for reasons that have nothing to do with the current Islamic world, which overwhelmingly rejects the nation of Islam. Anyone with these kind of leanings is nuts, but I actually dont think he's any less fit to be in congress than anyone else considering how corrupt politicians are. Remember Farenheit 911 and "Bandar Bush"? Hey, if the president can practically suck face with the Saudi Royals, our #2 allies in the ME (#1 being Israel), then one can hardly condemn a congressmen for being muslim.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I remember when Kennedy was running for president (ok, no I don't remember it, but I remember reading about it) that one of the big questions was "Can we let a devout catholic be president?" for fear that he would subordinate his own decisions to the vatican's desires.

You would think that at some point, questions like this would prove meaningless. You have to judge a person by their past actions, not by their words, not by your fears of what they might do, not by what they say, but what they've done.

Unless this new congressman has a history of hanging out with terrorists, militant iman, or blowing himself up on airplanes, then this CNN journalist was WAY out line.

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
Im not sure why a prolonged affiliation with the nation of Islam is considered more forgivable than a prolonged affiliation with the KKK. It may not be a histoiry of hanging out with terrorists, but it's not respectable.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
it's amazing what some people forgive if the person in question shares their agenda.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
what are u 2 getting at?

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
it was unclear who you were referring to as sharing "their agenda".

and for the record nicegrrl, this is his response about nation of islam:

Ellison, 42, said he was never an enrolled member of the Nation of Islam. He got involved to help improve the lives of black men, he said, and did not fully grasp concerns about Farrakhan's anti-Semitism until after the 1995 march.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/06/29/ap/politics/mainD8IHOJ5O0.shtml

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i am saying that people in a political party (take your pick) will embrace, apologize for and forgive someone with a history of association with racist groups (again, take your pick) if said politician shares their agenda on other political issues (again, take your pick).

i hope that's clearer.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
yes.

welcome back, btw.

:)

Reaction score
It's a damn shame and disgrace that this man won his election and will be going to serve in the 103rd..(ETA:109th or 110th. Damn school system!) Congress.

But only because he's a democrat.
:D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bravo said:
yes.

welcome back, btw.

:)

stuff your "welcome backs" in a sack and throw the guy a rep point, ya stingy hump. You hoard those things like you have inside info about a rep point famine.

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
that's odd. i have more than 130 rep points from bravo.

it must just be you...

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
OH MY GOD! BROWN PEOPLE!

And they believe in a slightly different god...!

FREAKOUT! PANIC! BOMB THEM ALL!!!

Seriously. That's the most pathetic piece of blatant racist crap I've ever seen.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hear ya, Os.

I probably should have (had it been me) but it's hard to walk when you're doubled over laughing.

rather condescending, wasn't it?

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
BECK: OK. No offense, and I know Muslims. I like Muslims. I've been to mosques.

I would have left the interview right after this.

Some of my best friends are __________.

Haskins is right. Glenn Beck is a tool.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
dclary said:
I remember when Kennedy was running for president (ok, no I don't remember it, but I remember reading about it) that one of the big questions was "Can we let a devout catholic be president?" for fear that he would subordinate his own decisions to the vatican's desires.

That was the first thing I thought of, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.