Closing credit scenes

Status
Not open for further replies.

FJ and G

Is this to be determined by the director?

I thought about putting "Closing Credits:" flush right (like in the place where "Cut to:" normally is, and then writing half a page of scenes that I feel would be appropriate as credits roll.

Thanks for your thoughts/comments.

Jack the Writer

I think that the director has the final say in the "visual" aspect of the film

kojled

fj/g

good lord. talk about directing from the script. first, CUT TO is almost never needed (in fact you don't need a bunch of all capped stuff, like FADE IN, FADE OUT, etc). second, how the pic looks, including stuff like credits, is the domain of the director. putting this kind of window dressing on the page will really piss people off.

this is like someone telling you how to dress. i mean, if someone did that you'd think they were either a dolt or incredibly arrogant, yes? do not tell people how to do their job

just write the story

zilla

joecalabre

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed by this author are his personal opinion and in no way should cause a debate. Wrong or right, it is how HE does it and will do so unless God strikes him down-- dead.

I only use transitions when absolutely needed to tell the story. I usually have a couple of (to cleverly convey a visual continuity from one scene another) MATCH CUT TO: but I never use a CUT TO:

I do however, always use a FADE IN: at the beginning (left justified) and a FADE OUT: at the end of the script (right justified).

This is so they know they got the whole script, from beginning to end.

As for credits... I wouldn't worry about it, unless you have a unique and interesting way of presenting end that would make a director (or producer) go-- "That's cool. I love it." But again, normally it's just not done. I don't.

Now. On to the subject of directing in a script. Yes it's like telling someone how to dress (that someone being a director). But a vast majority of spec scripts do not go to a director first, but rather a producer, agent, manager, contest, etc... A director is usually hired after the script is optioned or sold.

Now I am NOT saying to write your script with camera directions, so please don't anyone misread the next few sentences.

Screenplays, by nature, are supposed to be visual. Yes, write with a sense of the visual, but don't make it look like a technical manual or "film by the numbers" script. Don't use any shooting script elements (transitions, camera directions, etc) unless it's the best way-- or better yet, the only way to convey your intentions of telling your story...

FJ and G

FYI I know that Cut to: isn't used anymore, I was simply using it as an example of where the Roll credits: might go.

OK, I'll leave it off and make the director happy.

I am only using one traditional device, btw. It is one Fade cut: in a crucial scene; and only once (I think it's called a Fade cut)

joecalabre

I think you meant FADE TO: which is a go to black and then come up from black on the next scene.

I've never heard of a FADE CUT:.

Writing Again

I don't think I've ever heard anyone ask that question before.

Status
Not open for further replies.