PDA

View Full Version : Would you read an erotic thriller?

short_story
11-16-2006, 02:38 AM
Hey everyone. My question is, would you be interested in reading an erotic murder thriller-vs- the traditional thrillers?
The movie "Basic instinct" was an erotic thriller. Yes, it was a movie, but if an author wrote a book similar to it, with fresh plots, and a totally different ending would it interest you to purchase it?

aadams73
11-16-2006, 02:52 AM
Sure! M.J. Rose's books are have a real erotic thriller thing going on.

WackAMole
11-16-2006, 03:27 AM
Good story with lots of good sex too? duh..no brainer ;)

Good Word
11-16-2006, 05:03 AM
Keep in mind, the above answer was said by The Fonz. Heeeey.

I guess ya gotta write what ya gotta write.

Having said that, there is an erotica upswing in what is currently being released in various genres. Look at all those vampire novels by Laurell Hamilton. There is also a lot more erotica in what was previously considered plain old romance.

Elodie-Caroline
11-16-2006, 05:18 AM
Yes, of course I would... No matter what bad stuff is going on in the world or in anyone's own personal life, they're still having sex when the urge takes them; plus it's also the kind of stuff I write myself ;)

Ellie

Hey everyone. My question is, would you be interested in reading an erotic murder thriller-vs- the traditional thrillers?

Linda Adams
11-16-2006, 05:30 AM
Maybe. If it was a good story. One of the big complaints about Laurell K. Hamilton's recent books is that there is too much sex and not enough story (the story usually being a chapter near the beginning and one near the end of the book). And if it didn't have a serial killer in it. This is the only type of thriller I will not read.

Good Word
11-16-2006, 08:23 AM
I agree with you there, Linda. I actually liked her earlier stuff, but then I picked up another book (forget the name), and was kinda surprised. I thought there was too much sexual content, not enough story.

Jongfan
11-16-2006, 08:50 AM
Absolutely

MyFirstMystery
11-16-2006, 09:53 AM
Laurel K Hamilton's early books are a great example of weaving in the erotic with a compelling and fast paced story - I agree.

A good example to read might be the Laughing Corpse.

I have also been dissapointed with her later books. I don't care about all the sex, it's just the missing story that makes me sad. The sex has become the story.

70% Story, 20% Smut, 10% Puns & Witty Repartee = One happy ME.

MFM

Nakhlasmoke
11-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Why not? If it's well written, I'll read just about anything.

Elodie-Caroline
11-16-2006, 03:10 PM
I think it's quite sad that a well-established writer has to turn to 'just' sex to write and sell her stories, not that I've ever read any of Laurel K Hamilton's books though; it kind of makes you wonder if she writes all about the sex because there's something missing in her own life.

For the two WIPs I have going: The first one has loads of sex at the beginning of it -- a married man and a single woman; but then it turns in to a lot more than that and with many different characters and plots going on in it. My second WIP doesn't have any sex in it until near the very end.
I would rather show the characters of my work than their actual sex life.

Ellie.

Unique
11-16-2006, 03:53 PM
if an author wrote a book similar to it, with fresh plots, and a totally different ending would it interest you to purchase it?

No, I wouldn't. And I'd be upset if I picked it up by accident and didn't find out it was erotica until I got into it.

But that's just me. YMMV

Kate Thornton
11-17-2006, 02:02 AM
Yes - I would like an erotic mystery or thriller - but I'd want to know up front that's what it was.

veinglory
11-17-2006, 03:12 AM
I think it's quite sad that a well-established writer has to turn to 'just' sex to write and sell her stories, not that I've ever read any of Laurel K Hamilton's books though; it kind of makes you wonder if she writes all about the sex because there's something missing in her own life.

Hamilton is a best seller and has been for a long time (your assumption as to her reasons is pretty off base). As she got more famous she added *more* sex to her books becuase she wanted to. She clearly did not 'add sex' early on or later to sell any more than Anne Rice added Vampires or Dan Brown added albino assassins. It was what they wanted to write and that doesn't them frigid, haemophilliac or swarthy (respectively). More power to them all.

As for erotic thrillers. Many thrillers are pretty erotic--you may well already be in the normal range for the genre?

Linda Adams
11-17-2006, 06:26 AM
I think I read in an interview with her that she wanted to add more in the earlier books, but the publisher was uncomfortable with the idea of a woman writing erotic material. From the last few books' lack of content (and bear in mind, she's written over a dozen books in this series), I suspect she may have run out of things to write about or is tired of the characters. Usually with series books, the authors run into trouble about books five or seven, when they start to get tired of the series but the publisher and readers keep asking for me.

Shadow_Ferret
11-17-2006, 08:13 AM
but the publisher and readers keep asking for me.

Freudian slip there, Linda? :D

I've loved everything I've read by Hamilton, but I must admit I haven't read any of her latest stuff, although I have read her other series about the Fairie Princess. Now that stuff was erotic!

Guess I don't have a problem with her writing what she wants if it sells well.

As to the original question, I'd give an erotic thriller a go.

MyFirstMystery
11-17-2006, 09:15 PM
[quote=Shadow_Ferret]

Guess I don't have a problem with her writing what she wants if it sells well.
[quote]

Can't argue with you there - I'm sure plenty of folks are eating the stuff up, and she's following her bliss I figure.

I'm sure when I get published there will be folks who don't care for my stuff either. One just hopes that the majority votes in your favor (with thier book buying dollars) so you can keep writing. I figure I'll always write even if I never become "famous", but I admit it would be hard spending a lifetime writing to a desk drawer.

But I suppose commercial success and the love of writing is another topic entirely.

MFM

JDCrayne
11-22-2006, 06:29 AM
It all depends on how the eroticism and mystery are woven together. If it's about some guy who gets his rocks off while vivisecting his victims, I'd skip it.

Linda Adams
11-23-2006, 04:58 AM
It all depends on how the eroticism and mystery are woven together. If it's about some guy who gets his rocks off while vivisecting his victims, I'd skip it.

Isn't that what most serial killer thrillers are about?

JDCrayne
11-23-2006, 07:00 AM
Isn't that what most serial killer thrillers are about?

To be honest, I don't read that many gore and sex novels, so I can't say whether that's the norm or not. Many serial killers have seemingly normal lives with spouses and families. Take BTK; his friends and relations had no idea that there was anything strange about him. Having a steamy sex scene with the killer and a pick-up, or wife, or lover is fine. Ditto the embattled protag taking an hour off here and there for a friendly screw. I don't care for the steamy sex that turns into sickening gore. That's just a personal taste. *shrug* A lot of readers enjoy novels where the victim gets all lathered up and then hacked to pieces or throttled or whatever. To each his/her own.

aruna
12-01-2006, 12:08 PM
No. I would skip the sex scenes or put down the book altogether if there were too many of them.

Linda Adams
12-02-2006, 02:03 AM
Don't read Laurel K. Hamilton's later books!

Jamesaritchie
12-02-2006, 02:34 AM
The movie "Basic instinct" was an erotic thriller. Yes, it was a movie, but if an author wrote a book similar to it, with fresh plots, and a totally different ending would it interest you to purchase it?

No, I wouldn't, but there are plenty of others who would.

ErylRavenwell
12-04-2006, 04:02 AM
Testosterone (oestrogen as well) and adrenaline sure mix.

aruna
12-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Don't read Laurel K. Hamilton's later books!
She's one of those vampire writers, right? No, I don't read her. I'm not into the vampire thing.

aruna
12-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Testosterone (oestrogen as well) and adrenaline sure mix.

Not necessarily. If you're desperately trying to escape (or catch!) that serial killer prowling around the dark alleys, or (as in my thriller) being hunted through the jungle by an assassin, the last thing on your mind is sex.

ErylRavenwell
12-06-2006, 03:22 AM
Not necessarily. If you're desperately trying to escape (or catch!) that serial killer prowling around the dark alleys, or (as in my thriller) being hunted through the jungle by an assassin, the last thing on your mind is sex.

It wasn't meant in that way, more from the reader's perspective :) . But not necessarily indeed. My thriller explores the relationship of an artist, a copycat killer, and his girlfriend. Sex and violence are constants in the relationship.

truelyana
12-06-2006, 03:25 AM

Most definetly

JDCrayne
12-06-2006, 07:37 AM

Ummmm... I don't think that's true. From what some of my male friends have told me, I gather that a sexual response is normal in times of danger, or at least the aftermath of danger. It seems to be some kind of biological directive to procreate and keep the race going.

ErylRavenwell
12-06-2006, 08:30 AM
Ummmm... I don't think that's true. From what some of my male friends have told me, I gather that a sexual response is normal in times of danger, or at least the aftermath of danger. It seems to be some kind of biological directive to procreate and keep the race going.

Another quote that seems to be consistent with your statements.

Androgens Testosterone and Adrenaline

What exactly are androgens? Androgens are sex hormones mainly produced by males.
The main male androgen is testosterone. Androgens are produced by your adrenal glands -
testosterone and adrenaline - which protect your body in stressful situations and give you
the power to respond to dangerous situations.

aruna
12-06-2006, 09:02 AM

But I would think if you're trying to escape - in the heat of the chase - you just would not have the time to do all that stuff. Anyway, for me as a reader, in that situation sex just holds up the story. Most of the thrillers I've read don't have any sex at all - I read somewhere - I think it was in DOnald Maass' book - that it's because it releases tension, and you want to keep the tension up.
Whatever. I don't like it, but many do. There's room for everyone.

ErylRavenwell
12-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Over a protracted period of time (a few hours of reading), it would be good to know how alternating sex scenes with violent episodes affects the readers' mood.

ErylRavenwell
12-06-2006, 09:31 AM
How would you describe the scene below? Sex and violence mingled?

Jessica sat next to him. Arms hanging around his neck, beaming an erotic smile to him, she murmured, “I’m at your disposal. Do whatever you want with me.”
They started to kiss, gently sucking on each other’s lips. Then they kissed more vigorously, the act gradually becoming an unbridled, almost savage, expression of the erotic. The erotic act was brought to a sudden halt when Jessica flinched away from him crying.
“What’s wrong with you?” she admonished, the coppery taste of blood filling her mouth. “You bit my lip!”
His eyes were locked upon her long, delicate neck. The urge to sink his steely fingers into it was strong. But, he managed to check his raw emotions just in time.
“I’m sorry; I was out of control. Wi…will you forgive me? I must try to be more delicate with you.”
A smile returned to her face. “How can I not forgive you, baby?” she said. “I like my man rough, but you must not bite…or else, I’ll have you, cannibal, muzzled…Hannibal Lecter style.”
She stood erect in front of him. The thin spaghetti straps fell off her shoulders, and the light dress glided down the curves of her body and settled down on the marbled floor. With the touch of her finger, her bra sprang open, letting loose perfectly formed breasts.

“Let’s do it here on the rug…like animals,” she urged.

aruna
12-06-2006, 09:45 AM
That scene is not something I could get into, or would interest me. I was referring to a thriller, where the "thrilling" or violent elements have to do with a story outside the characters, and they are caught up in that story.

ErylRavenwell
12-06-2006, 09:52 AM
That scene is not something I could get into, or would interest me. I was referring to a thriller, where the "thrilling" or violent elements have to do with a story outside the characters, and they are caught up in that story.

Yes, but there is an element of violence mingled with the sex. There are different types of thrillers, some more psychological than others.

aruna
12-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Yes, but there is an element of violence mingled with the sex. There are different types of thrillers, some more psychological than others.

It's just not something that interests me. I like a good thriller and I want to get on with the story. I like psychological thrillers too - but the psychology has to drive the story forward. I'm not interested in sex or violence per se; IMO the "B" (love) story has to be subordinate to the "A" story's forward momentum. But many readers are, so not to worry!

ErylRavenwell
12-07-2006, 04:35 AM
It's just not something that interests me. I like a good thriller and I want to get on with the story. I like psychological thrillers too - but the psychology has to drive the story forward. I'm not interested in sex or violence per se; IMO the "B" (love) story has to be subordinate to the "A" story's forward momentum. But many readers are, so not to worry!

Nod.

JDCrayne
12-07-2006, 06:42 AM
Another quote that seems to be consistent with your statements.

Several well-known male writers of my acquaintance who had been in accidents and in the military told me that it was true and I have no reason to disbelieve them. One of them referred to it as "the warrior's reward," which I suppose accounts for the high instance of rape in war-torn areas. Of course, being female, I can't vouch for it either. Personally, I think I'd be more interested in saving my hide than looking for a roll in the hay. Sex can definitely get in the way of the action. When I read The DaVinci Code I was sort of exasperated by the protag stopping to flirt with the girl in a stairwell while the cops were hot on his heels, and he was only flirting! I suspect that timing is going to be a big problem when mixing sex into a thriller.

ErylRavenwell
12-07-2006, 07:42 AM
Several well-known male writers of my acquaintance who had been in accidents and in the military told me that it was true and I have no reason to disbelieve them. One of them referred to it as "the warrior's reward," which I suppose accounts for the high instance of rape in war-torn areas. Of course, being female, I can't vouch for it either. Personally, I think I'd be more interested in saving my hide than looking for a roll in the hay. Sex can definitely get in the way of the action. When I read The DaVinci Code I was sort of exasperated by the protag stopping to flirt with the girl in a stairwell while the cops were hot on his heels, and he was only flirting! I suspect that timing is going to be a big problem when mixing sex into a thriller.

Very insightful. But do you think sex and violence would affect an observer similarly? An observer wouldn't be put under the same kind of stress as, say, someone experiencing the thrilling action first-hand. But since people have a natural tendency to empathize, it is not so far-fetched to deduce the observer (reader for instance) may actually be similarly affected. Now, if a violent scene is quickly followed by a sex scene, the former might feedback the latter emotionally. Of course, this is simply a hypothesis without any real foundation. :D

JDCrayne
12-07-2006, 09:09 AM
An observer wouldn't be put under the same kind of stress as, say, someone experiencing the thrilling action first-hand. But since people have a natural tendency to empathize, it is not so far-fetched to deduce the observer (reader for instance) may actually be similarly affected.

I think that's true. What one would have to look for is a really suspenseful action sequence, followed by a sex scene that serves as cartharis for the reader. It would be equivalent to comedy relief, letting the involved reader burn off some of the nail-biting tension that built up during the previous sequence.

aruna
12-07-2006, 09:10 AM
For me, a thriller doesn't mecessarily mean violence. It means fear and suspense and holding your breath, and perhaps that's why I dont see sex fitting in too well. I do have one scene in my novel where the bad guy is trying to get the MC to sleep with him. The main element of the scene is the MC's need to escape - and, I hope, the reader's fear for her.