Hiya Folks Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

macneacail

1st script, finaldraft newbie...I'm looking for some basic answers regarding how to format "falsh backs", dreams and SUPER titles, i.e. "Wales 1903", location/time that sort of thing.

Cheers, Alex

joecalabre

The Screenwriter's Bible by Dave Trotier is a good refrence book.

SimonSays

Mac -

You will get several different answers on this thread which will turn into a massive debate and do nothing but confuse you even more.

Go to your local bookstore or amazon.com. Get a book on screenplay formatting. Do what it says.

macneacail

surely this information is online somewhere...what's the big secret...

joecalabre

No secret, just that this is a gray area in scriptwriting.

For every person who tells you to use SUPER:, another person will say to use SUPERIMPOSE:. The same holds true for many "so called" formatting rules.

A website with a lot of info is www.screenwriting.info/

I'm not advocating it as the best source (for reasons I mentioned above), but it is one you may find useful.

The important thing (I'm sure everyone will agree on this) is to use one formatting element style which is clear to the reader and be consistent throughout your script.

dpaterso

If you haven't already, you could look up some scripts to see how pro writers do it -- www.script-o-rama.com to name but one site. Try "Casablanca" with its classic flashback to Rick and Ilsa's time together in Paris. It may be old but it's crystal clear, and that's what counts.

At the risk of causing major controversy...

SUPER: "Wales, 1903"

...works for me, and @#%$ anyone who says otherwise!

-Derek
-----------------------​
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

dchapma123

I agree with Joe that, with this issue at least, consistency is probably the most important thing. If it's clear to the reader what you mean, you've done the job.

I'm not sure I'd use a 60-year old script as a reference, though. But yeah -- read some books, go through some scripts, and find a technique you like.

Writing Again

SimonSays,

You will get several different answers on this thread which will turn into a massive debate and do nothing but confuse you even more.

I know that pros and many of those who are more advanced, are sick of these debates, but I enjoy them.

The fact is that FORMATTING is the grammar of the screenplay: Like grammar there are always a dozen ways to write a paragraph.

But some ways just plain look better than others, some feel better than others. These are not always in the books, and these are the ones I want to learn to use. True, I have to admit, some of these I adopt will have more to do with my personality than with what is "best" but then that is also the way I write paragraphs in a novel.

So today I admire what SimonSays did and tomorrow I will admire what SomeoneElse did and someday I'll admire what I did.

SimonSays

e: Hiya Folks Quick Question

It's not a question of being sick of these debates (although yes, I am sick of some of these debates). The real issues is that sometimes these debates do not give the answer that was being sought by the original poster or 4 different answers are given - which causes confusion. I assume when someone posts a question such as this one they are not seeking to generate a debate - they are seeking a simple answer to a question - and they assume that the answer will be correct. I direct people towards resources such as published books because in those books there will only be one answer and since many of these books are written by industry professionals - they are likely to lead you toward acceptable formatting.

The fact is some of these things are not written in stone. As long as your intentions are clear to the reader and you are consistent with usage - it will not make or break your script if you use SUPER rather than SUPERIMPOSE.

Then again, there are other issues where what you do does matter, and on those issues I think it is always best to consult a source you are fairly certain has the correct information. Film school professor, book or aritcle by industry professional.

The problem is that many do not know which things effect your chances and which don't. Right now there are two threads on copyright and WGA reg. alot of the conversation has to do with whether or not those things should be on a script or not. The bottom line is - having a copyright notice on your script will probably go completely unnoticed by agents and producers who read your script. Something like this will not effect your chances, but reading the debate you'd think it's a matter of life and death.

Write a good story, write it well. That is what will make or break your chances.

scripter1

Re: e: Hiya Folks Quick Question

Trottier updates the Bible every few years so if you get the latest edition it will contain the correct formats.

Status
Not open for further replies.