U.S. commander warns against Iraq cutoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/politics/4337039.html

The top U.S. commander in the Middle East warned Congress Wednesday against setting a timetable for the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq, saying it would impede commanders in managing U.S. and Iraqi forces.
The assertion by Gen. John Abizaid seemed to put him at odds with some Democrats pressing the Bush administration to begin pulling out of Iraq.
"Specific timetables limit that flexibility," the general said.
This seems to be the standard line for most commanders - we've got enough troops to do what we need. Maybe a small spike.

Are the generals political animals? Do they buy "stay the course"?

Or are soldiers the only true realists in this situation?

In one of the day's most contentious clashes, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., challenged Abizaid on his analysis of the situation and complained that he was advocating no major changes in U.S. policy. McCain, a possible 2008 presidential candidate, has called for adding thousands more U.S. combat troops in Iraq to help fight the insurgency and halt sectarian violence in Baghdad.
Luv ya Johnny.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
obviously the answer is to waterboard proponents of both competing strategies and see who breaks first.

Reaction score
I just hope to hear Nancy Pelosi's plan for Iraq that will help the Iraqi people towards stability, peace and prosperity.

I'm open to all ideas from our newly elected leaders.

Joe Unidos

Registered
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
I just hope to hear Nancy Pelosi's plan for Iraq that will help the Iraqi people towards stability, peace and prosperity.

I'm open to all ideas from our newly elected leaders.

Give it time. We've been waiting patiently for five years and we've yet to hear Mr Bush's plan for Iraq that will help the Iraqi people towards stability, peace and prosperity.

Reaction score
Joe Unidos said:
Give it time. We've been waiting patiently for five years and we've yet to hear Mr Bush's plan for Iraq that will help the Iraqi people towards stability, peace and prosperity.

We have a plan, but it's taking too long for the anti-war crowd so....

Time for fresh ideas. A fresh set of eyeballs on the problem.

I look forward to hearing all solutions from both sides of the aisle.

Thank you.

greglondon

Planet Wookie techno geek
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
Website
www.greglondon.com
billythrilly7th said:
We have a plan, but it's taking too long for the anti-war crowd so....

The plan was "6 weeks and we'd be out".
It officially failed on 1 May 2003.
We've been operating on the original military plan ever since.
i.e. 400k troops and maybe Iraq goes civil war anyway.
except, Bush had to go with 140k troops instead.

So, you can stop acting like the dem's should have a magic solution.
What we need is someone in touch with reality to make some decisions.
ANd if the reality is that Iraq has passed the point of being winnable,
we need to admit that, not say

"More WILLPOWER, Cap'n! I kenna hold it together much longer!"

Reaction score
greglondon said:
So, you can stop acting like the dem's should have a magic solution.

No magic solution wanted.

Any solution. Even a scrap of an idea from our newly elected leadership would be welcome.

The days of just complaining are over.

You now have a responsiblity to lead. I know it's much harder than just sitting back in a chair all day going "That sucks. You stink. Booo!!"

Time to get off the chair and get in the game.

Good luck. We're all counting on you.

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
The Bush plan seemed to end after "invade. Get Saddam. Demand a democracy sprout up so we can go home." Didn't seem to have a step 4, 5, et al.

You now have a responsiblity to lead. I know it's much harder than just sitting back in a chair all day going "That sucks. You stink. Booo!!"

True, but isn't Bush still in charge? Doesn't he need to come up with, I don't know, something, anything? After invading, what was his strategy? What is it now? It seems to consist of telling people either a) not to complain b) your idea sucks or c) things are going great. Now, it seems he's added d) well, what are you going to do about it. I'm only the president here, I'm powerless.

Last edited:
Reaction score
TheGaffer said:
The Bush plan seemed to end after "invade. Get Saddam. Demand a democracy sprout up so we can go home." Didn't seem to have a step 4, 5, et al.

"When they stand up, we'll stand down."
W

It's an excellent plan. Train the security forces and build a military who can take over the security of their own country.

Hold democratic elections to build a government for and by the people.

It's a tremendous plan.

Just going extraordinarily slow and with plenty of mistakes.

:Shrug:

I'd like to hear what the democrats think we should do AT SOME POINT.

Thank you.

Joe Unidos

Registered
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
What do you think we should do, Joe?

Barring the invention of a time machine to go back and prevent this clusterfvck from ever having begun, my first order of business would be to examine, with no preconceived notions, why the deadlines and troop numbers for the training of Iraqi security personnel have repeatedly been missed, under-delivered and delayed.

Reaction score
Joe Unidos said:
Barring the invention of a time machine to go back and prevent this clusterfvck from ever having begun, my first order of business would be to examine, with no preconceived notions, why the deadlines and troop numbers for the training of Iraqi security personnel have repeatedly been missed, under-delivered and delayed.

Thank you. That wasn't so hard now was it?

I agree 100%.

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
It's an excellent plan. Train the security forces and build a military who can take over the security of their own country.

This isn't a plan. This is an objective. Two different things.

And what difference does it make what Dems say? For a while they've said, "This isn't working, we need to redeploy," or others have said "we need partition." And Bush has responded with "you're a terrorist and you want the terrorists to win." So if you're not going to listen to me, why should I come up with a plan?

Reaction score
TheGaffer said:
So if you're not going to listen to me, why should I come up with a plan?

Because the American people and more importantly the Iraqi people are counting on you.

I hope you guys step up to the plate.

Joe Unidos

Registered
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
Thank you. That wasn't so hard now was it?

Apparently it is, considering that your hero has still not addressed it.

Joe Unidos

Registered
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
Because the American people and more importantly the Iraqi people are counting on you.

We get it: you're spinning Mr Bush's colossal screw-up as now the Dem's responsibilty. So clever of you.

*yawn*

greglondon

Planet Wookie techno geek
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
Website
www.greglondon.com
Originally Posted by billythrilly7th

Joe Unidos said:
We get it: you're spinning Mr Bush's colossal screw-up as now the Dem's responsibilty. So clever of you.

*yawn*

shorter Billy: I wash my hands of it. The blood is on your hands now.

I think Pontius Pilate said something along those lines.

hm....

Reaction score
I like to think of it more as tag team wrestling.

I'm tagging out....

Good luck Joe, Greg, Nancy and the Democrats!

We're counting on you and so are the voters heading to the polls in '08.

Don't let them down.

*yawn*

It's your responsibility because it was the #1 issue in this election and that's why you guys got voted in. Please don't tell me you have nothing on this? Please tell me the poll saying 57% of the American people believing you have nothing is wrong.

Don't shirk your new found responsibilty, Joe.

I know. It was easier to just sit back and complain about Bush. But now you've graduated high school and it's time to take on some responsiblity.

I think you can do it, if you try.

Last edited:

Joe Unidos

Registered
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
I like to think of it more as tag team wrestling.

It's your responsibility because it was the #1 issue in this election and that's why you guys got voted in. Please don't tell me you have nothing on this? Please tell me the poll saying 57% of the American people believing you have nothing is wrong.

Don't shirk your new found responsibilty, Joe.

I know. It was easier to just sit back and complain about Bush. But now you've graduated high school and it's time to take on some responsiblity.

I think you can do it, if you try.

I'm not going to explain the separation of the different branches of government to you, I'll just say that the Dems will offer all they help they can until 2008 comes and they can finally get to the real work of fixing one of the largest missteps in the history of the United States from the Oval Office.

Reaction score
"I am innocent of this man's blood; it is in your hands now".

Matthew 27:24

Pontius Pilate on crucifying Jesus.

Yeah, that about sums it up.

Yes.

Good luck. We're all rooting for you for what it's worth.

Reaction score
Joe Unidos said:
I'm not going to explain the separation of the different branches of government to you, I'll just say that the Dems will offer all they help they can until 2008 comes and they can finally get to the real work of fixing one of the largest missteps in the history of the United States from the Oval Office.

I just want help.

Thank you. That's all I'm asking for. The American people put you on to help fix this problem of Iraq. I look forward to hearing the plans from the democratic leadership. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.