Why I hate freelance bid sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Sheesh – I certainly feel rejected. A client just told me that he has been overpaying “loads” of people and now wants to pay me what he pays his other “writters” (as he charmingly calls us). Unfortunately, what he pays his other “writters” is about a penny a word. He hires these people from those websites that allow writers to bid on/beg for jobs that go to the lowest bidder. It’s web writing, so there is not much research involved, but it’s terrible to get a pay cut when even the employer admits I have been working hard and creating great work for him. I feel ill and just wanted to rant. Thank you for listening/reading.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Unless you're desperate for funds, tell him goodbye. If you're doing a good job, it makes no sense to accept a pay cut.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
It's a shame when writing is undervalued. There's healthy competition where the person with the best writing (or most experience) wins, and there's this kind of work-for-nothing desperation. I think it hurts us all. There are other (better) jobs out there.

Rivana

Walks in the shades.
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rivanacreations.com
Damn that's harsh, I sympathise completely. It's disgusting how the wages have plummeted since all these reverse-bidding sites started popping up all over the place. Now you can feel lucky if you manage to get five dollars for five 500 words articles. :-(
That being said, I really hate those sites too, especially since I've been there. I've bidden and even worked for those slave wages. It's not something I'm proud of, but quite frankly -desperation heeds no laws.

Sury

Word Worker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bghosh.cavernreal.com
It's not funny to see how little "employers" pay "their writers" on such bidding sites. It's almost insulting to see those amounts.

Commiserations to you, Zenwriter. That really hurts.

Sury

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Zen, he's gonna get what he pays for. I love it when people think it's okay to save money on writing. I've had an editor say that to me. She was back within a couple months with an apology and an assignment. Good luck.

zenwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for all the sympathy and kind words, everyone. They are really appreciated. The client is not willing to reconsider and is now requesting additional work as well (for the tinier pay), so I dropped that client. That’s always a hard thing to do, but in this case it seems for the best. KTC, I think you are right on the money when you point out that businesses get what they pay for – writers just can’t produce the best content when they are not paid to create well. Oh, well, onward and upward to (hopefully) bigger and better things.

Status
Not open for further replies.