Do I need 2 seperate agents for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivonia

Hi,

I am currently working on a novel and a screenplay (not related, but the novel I want to turn into a screenplay too eventually), and was wondering if I needed two seperate agents (one for my manuscripts, one for my movie scripts)?

If I do need two seperate ones, should I just go for ones in LA, or should I go to NY? I plan on mostly doing screenwriting (in LA, but I don't want to move there until I get some more scripts done and polished), but I also want to write some novels to help establish familiarity with the stories for now (most of my ideas I don't care about losing my rights to it, but one of them I simply won't just give it away via a screenplay without setting up the storyline/world first).

I know this is one of those "worry about it later" type questions, but I would like to know ahead of time so that I'll have an idea of how to plan when the time does come to try and get an agent.

JustinoXV

Maybe or maybe not. Some agencies rep both screenwriters and novelists. Others do only one or the other.

SimonSays

Ivonia -

As Justino pointed out there are agencies that rep both. But there are far fewer agents that rep both even at the agencies that rep both. In most cases agents specialize. Publishing and film/tv are totally different industries with totally different players. Many of the better ny lit agencies do not rep screeplays at all. Many of the best film agents do not rep novels.

I'm currently working on a novel. I have a film lit agent but I am going to get a different agent for my novel. I'm focusing on NY agents as opposed to LA agents, because I'd prefer to have someone physically closer to the publishing world. It may not matter, but it matters to me.

JustinoXV

Even on the WGA list, few NY agencies rep screenwriters. Most of those that do, are LA agencies that have NYC offices (William Morris, ICM, Writers and Artists, Gersh).

In New York, agents who sell novels sometimes refer people to LA agents.

So I think chances are you will have to have seperate agents for both, even if both are at the same agency.

Just think of it this way, look in LA for film agents. Look in NYC for publishing or theatre agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.